Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I always search the forum for my questions but have been unable to find a solution to this one. My stock spoiler has bad oxidation on top on the entire middle surface, between the two posts (the posts have none for some reason). I've tried waxing, clay bar, Quixx and other scratch removers, just about everything other than repainting, which I doubt I could do well and would be expensive from a dealership. Any thoughts? Thanks. It's easier to see in sunlight, but you should still be able to tell in the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the same problem with my spoiler. I had oxidation all over it. And I couldn't stand it so I had to get it fixed. I took it to the dealership and asked how much it would cost. But I had also hit a deer so it was just added in to the cost of insurance. But to get it painted at the dealership shouldnt be more than $100. And plus, if you go to the dealership to get it painted, you know the paint will match.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Depending on the year of you Tib, the paint warranty is 3 years/36k. Hyundai had had issues with the paint on the Tibs, I had my spoiler repainted, the gas cap, the gills under warranty.

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
I've used a number of compounds on my spoiler and concluded that the clearcoat must be wearing very quickly causing the paint to fade in the process. It's a well-known issue with the painted plastic parts on the exterior. The paint is high quality but the application process on plastic (priming, etc) is notorious for being shoddy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wetsand I assume? Polish with wax?

And for the record it's an 03 GT, def not under warranty 49k and a rebuild title lol.
Yes wetsand. wetsanding is like my last approach. But before you wetsand have you tried using a rotary buffer with a good compound? That might work. If you don't know how to use a rotary try and find a friend or someone that can. If you lived closer to me I'd help you out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
wetsanding and polish will only be a temporary fix, after a few months the oxidation will come back. The spoilers on our cars are pretty much destined to oxidize, actually if you look I'm sure your gills will be starting to oxidize as well. Plastic parts require different paint additives than the paint on the rest of your car. These additives make the paint softer so it can flex, it also makes the paint more susceptible to enviromental damage. This is why the spoiler is one of the first parts to oxidize. Your best bet is to just have the your spoiler repainted, wet sanding will just be an effort in futility. Actually, in most cases after wet sanding the are needs to be re-sprayed with clear to match the rest of the car. So if you want the long term fix, paint is the only choice.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
yea i agree with sams2k, find yourself a friend with a dual random or rotary polisher. id start with med to light compounding, moving to heavy/wool compounding, if that does not work wetsand and polish. if that doesnt work, paint.

·
Administrator
5,304 Posts
When my spoiler began to gunk up like that, I ended up taking it to a body shop and have them repaint it. They did it for only $75.00 and did a really good job. Before finally giving in and repainting, I had tried Quixx, buffing it out with a rotary tool and polishing, and sandpapering. None of those had worked for me. New paint FTW!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
When my spoiler began to gunk up like that, I ended up taking it to a body shop and have them repaint it. They did it for only $75.00 and did a really good job. Before finally giving in and repainting, I had tried Quixx, buffing it out with a rotary tool and polishing, and sandpapering. None of those had worked for me. New paint FTW!!
My spoiler is doing the same thing. Since the car is black it really shows. $75 sounds very reasonable to have it painted. After this winter I think I'll check into getting mine done.

Brad

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The rotary and wetsanding method will be a good place to start, but one can't help but wonder what it's worth, especially if repainting for under a hundred bucks will solve the problem for good.

Not to mention, with oxidation like that, there's no way you'll get it to look like new again.

So therefore, if you can afford it, I vote repaint.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Same here. Two small spots on the wing that have the pattern of rust like on an old car but it's obviousdly the clearcoat that is damaged. I too tried Quixx, Meguier's, etc. and nothing works. I plan on switching to the high spoiler anyway so I'm leaving it as is. Plus, I need a repaint all over because of the key scratches everywhere.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I dont know if this oxidation problem is the same as mine where my spoiler has about 1 billion scratches on it.....I tried polishing (Nu Finish polish) with a rotary buffer it did not help one single bit. Knock on wood, this is only happening on my spoiler and nowhere else.

·
Administrator
5,304 Posts
I dont know if this oxidation problem is the same as mine where my spoiler has about 1 billion scratches on it.....I tried polishing (Nu Finish polish) with a rotary buffer it did not help one single bit. Knock on wood, this is only happening on my spoiler and nowhere else.
I had the same problem and tried the same solution--it didn't work. I ended up getting my spoiler repainted at a body shop for $75.00.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Yea its basically fading and oxidizing. You have to look at it in the sun at a certain angle and you can see it really bad. Mine started this summer.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I just had my gills repainted and gass cap cause of oxidation, and well saddly to say after i put them on my car they seemed a little whiter than the car paint-my car is white btw-but i dnt think the shop could have used the wrong paint cause the guy took down my paint code??? any reasons why they might seem a brighter white??? possibly just due tp them being plastic? or because the paint on them is fresher than my car paint?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Same here my stock factory spoiler is oxidized VERY badly. But no big deal as I am about to replace the spoiler. Orbital buffer and heavy grade rubbing compund did not work for me, not sure about the wetsanding though as I do not trust my self enough to do something like that :3_headsha

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I just had my gills repainted and gass cap cause of oxidation, and well saddly to say after i put them on my car they seemed a little whiter than the car paint-my car is white btw-but i dnt think the shop could have used the wrong paint cause the guy took down my paint code??? any reasons why they might seem a brighter white??? possibly just due tp them being plastic? or because the paint on them is fresher than my car paint?
it is because white is hard to match. when color matching it is wise for the painter to not use the color code and use your own car to come up with the color. this will give you the best match possible, especially since colors change under different temperatures sun exposure. so have a shop take a panel to use it to match any newly painted parts.

once the clear is gone off from the spoiler or plastic pieces, it is too late and you must repaint. if there is still clear there, i sugguest a sanding block and 4k grit wetsanding. if that doesnt work, repaint time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts