Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
it is because white is hard to match. when color matching it is wise for the painter to not use the color code and use your own car to come up with the color. this will give you the best match possible, especially since colors change under different temperatures sun exposure. so have a shop take a panel to use it to match any newly painted parts.
Hmm so even a color code can be off a little? confusing...
but i dnt want to hasle with takin them off again cause its a pain, they dnt look to bad, only in certain lighting you can tell that there a little whiter but before they were yellow lol

If the dealer paints them then the color should most likely match up perfect no?

·
Registered
118 Posts
im having the same problem. but i think there was a problem with the paint on 03 rally reds anyway? im having terrible issues; fuel door oxidized bad (i buffed it down so hard some of the paint is completely gone on an edge), spoiler (topside between towers is oxidized), gills (severe fade), and half the paint is chipped off both side mirrors, top only. im not sure whether i should just have specific parts repainted or get my whole baby redone. nothing worked on the spoiler but the heavy buffing did help on the fuel door (except where i went overboard and rubbed all the paint off one edge. the damage was DEEP :*( )

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It's common that the fuel door, gills, and spoiler fade because they used crappy paint on the plastics. A problem you may run into if you just repaint them rally red is the rest of the paint may look faded so you may have to get it all redone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had problems with the Headlights? I have this crap on it it looks like clear coat. I used oxidtion remover but it does not remove this cear stuff that looks chiped away any one know what I can do to fix it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hm... I just went after the deep scratches and oxidation on my spoiler with a low speed rotary tool and some polishing compound. Unfortunately the damage is all the way through the paint to the fiberglass and now its smooth instead of rough but even heavy rubbing compound could not smooth out the damage before a couple white spots came through. So glad I'm going wingless soon....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It's because the wing, gas cap, and gills are plastic so they scratch easier. Hyundai used crappy paint so it fades over time making the scratches more noticeable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
well my wing and passenger side mirror have faded no body mentions about the side mirror as being a problem in other posts is this rare to see

·
Registered
60 Posts
My side mirrors are okay, but I had my gills and gas cap fade bad. The gills were somewhat tolerable, but the gas cap had nearly no paint and it's an 05 Rally Red. I repainted the gills and gas cap myself, but now I see the actual clear coat peeling off the spoiler. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think that is the result of oxidizing? In any case, I can see that there's no point in trying to salvage the exisitng paint, so I'm having the spoiler repainted along with my side skirts. The spoiler is pretty light weight so I'm guessing it's all plastic as well.

In the process of repainting gas cap and gills, I learned that you need to apply 1 of 2 things. A plastic paint adherence promoter, or paint that is specifically designed to adhere to plastic like sem paint. I heard the name 'bulldog' tossed around while I was on the hunt too so that may be another solution.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
My side mirrors are okay, but I had my gills and gas cap fade bad. The gills were somewhat tolerable, but the gas cap had nearly no paint and it's an 05 Rally Red. I repainted the gills and gas cap myself, but now I see the actual clear coat peeling off the spoiler. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think that is the result of oxidizing? In any case, I can see that there's no point in trying to salvage the exisitng paint, so I'm having the spoiler repainted along with my side skirts. The spoiler is pretty light weight so I'm guessing it's all plastic as well.

In the process of repainting gas cap and gills, I learned that you need to apply 1 of 2 things. A plastic paint adherence promoter, or paint that is specifically designed to adhere to plastic like sem paint. I heard the name 'bulldog' tossed around while I was on the hunt too so that may be another solution.
+100

Yes it's the clear coat actually failing on these parts. I have an 04 Rally Red and the first to go was my gas cap which i repainted gunmetal. The gill's clear coat is dying a slow death but what really has gone to $hit is my hi-spoiler.

I posted something about possibly wet sanding the clear off the spoiler and re-spraying clearcoat on the factory base coat to fix the issue. I don't know what kind of clearcoat was used on the plastics but it's not lasting the test of time at all. Conversly for me, my side mirrors are just as shiney as the rest of the car.

For the record my car has never been garaged, I am the only owner and I wash it about 3-4 times a month and wax seasonally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used a combination of wipe new then armour all. Shines it up till next wash. Wd40 works as well.a couple of squirts in wash bucket keeps everything shiney.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts