Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started about a week ago.

Noticed a hard shift in to reverse after starting the engine. Car went from neutral to drive without difficulty. Transmission is stuck in 3rd gear when placed into drive. No recent maintenance. Approximately 6 months ago I replaced the tranny's side-mounted gasket and due to chronic leakage. I didn't notice anything abnormal with the pan off (not that I would know what to look for). Fluid level is appropriate and clean.

Shifttronic has not worked in 6 months, so I am unable to attempt any shifting using this method.

Anybody have any advice? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have replaced a lot parts and am pretty good with troubleshooting this car for years. I've had it since 2007 and the nostalgia factor is pretty strong. Am I better off limping to a tranny shop or attempting this on my own?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Transmission stuff is kinda the twilight zone for most DIY'ers, but if there wasn't a bunch or metal or clutch material in your pan, it should probably maybe kinda be savable. I'd imagine that being stuck in 3rd should be a bad shift solenoid, which as far as I know, isn't too bad of a repair to diy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transmission stuff is kinda the twilight zone for most DIY'ers, but if there wasn't a bunch or metal or clutch material in your pan, it should probably maybe kinda be savable. I'd imagine that being stuck in 3rd should be a bad shift solenoid, which as far as I know, isn't too bad of a repair to diy.
Thanks. Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. No metal in the pan, but the shift from Park to Reverse, Neutral to Reverse is ridiculously hard on the car. Thus, I'm thinking replacing the solenoid might be the best. I just replaced the Input speed sensor and will replace output speed sensor soon. I'm ordering the Solenoid. Today. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
9,204 Posts
I did it yesterday. It was actually pretty easy to replace. Transmission works fine now. I appreciate it good sir.
Thanks for closing this out, I hate threads that just die with no end result/fix.

Reactions: UltimateShark

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I just bought an 04 same issue. I haven't tore into Trans yet to even know what the solinoids look like or anything and I'm terrible at ordering the wrong stuff. You have a part # and any advice. I would greatly appreciate it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts