Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious.

If I prep my calipers properly Then I shouldnt have any problems while trying to use the paint on stuff should I? How does it compare to spray on?

Thanks a ton guys!
 

·
Pete: The Man
Joined
·
4,366 Posts
Nope, you shouldn't have any issues. G2 caliper paint is some of the best stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,475 Posts
I've used dupicolor ceramic engine enamel on both of my tib's calipers. It's high heat paint, lays out smooth, and last, and cost less than the "caliper paint" Clean your calipers with some good degreaser, rinse well, dry with a blow dryer, and put a few coats on.
 

·
Former CIO
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
bagpiper said:
I've used dupicolor ceramic engine enamel on both of my tib's calipers. It's high heat paint, lays out smooth, and last, and cost less than the "caliper paint" Clean your calipers with some good degreaser, rinse well, dry with a blow dryer, and put a few coats on.

oooo crap ur tib only came with two calipers? take that sh!t back to the factory.






spend the money on the g2 caliper kit. spray on can get messy. the g2 kit comes w/ crc brake cleaner which u need anyways before you paint. and it is easy as hell to put on. i put two coats of it on mine. also...... it comes w/ a lifetime warranty. i got a little chip in mine and i have no clue how and they sent me more.




crappy *** photo but this is G2 silver...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Brodeurman69 said:
Anyone have a problem with the dupilcolor chipping like crazy after a few months?

I used duplicolor black, after sanding and degreasing........put 5 coats of duplicolor caliper paint. Anyway the other day I washed my car and noticed while cleaning my wheels that there were a lot of spots that need touching up. Front is fine but the rear arent.....which makes NO sense seeing as the front are the calipers that get the most pressure/use/heat. The rear dont do that much.

I am going to strip mine and then redo them with poss a G2 kit or maybe the engine grade paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
Yeah i was also thinking about trying to spray them. I figured that the paint might adhere a little better. And if that doesnt work then ill try the G2 stuff.
 

·
Former CIO
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
^^^^ not a fan of spray b/c it leaves light spots. with a brush u know where the paint is going. and if u ever use G2 and mix the activator the paint becomes a concistancy of like slime and it goes on nice and thick.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
609 Posts
so how did you guys paint your calipers did you take of one wheel at a time?
 

·
Former CIO
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
i did right side then left side. two coats on each side waiting whatever the recommendation was between coats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
yeah, just sand them down good, and use caliper paint, and dont talk to anyone at orileys(sp?) and autozone.. they are a bunch of mortards, just listen to the guys on here, and youll be ok

also, dont take them off to do it, because it a *****hh to put back on, even more, do it when you have to change your breaks, so you have to take them off anyways, kill 2 birds with one stone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,475 Posts
bms231 said:
oooo crap ur tib only came with two calipers? take that sh!t back to the factory.
Both tibs as in my 2001 and 2003 tib. Paint's all about prep. If you clean the surface well, the duplicolor is a ceramic paint which can handle the heat fine. I masked my calipers with that blue tape for painters (comes off easy), and sprayed 2 coats on this tib 2 1/2 years ago, and it looks like the day I painted it, no chips or wear. I think the "caliper" paints will work fine, but they're a way to market a product for money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,475 Posts
crowebar said:
I used duplicolor black, after sanding and degreasing........put 5 coats of duplicolor caliper paint. Anyway the other day I washed my car and noticed while cleaning my wheels that there were a lot of spots that need touching up. Front is fine but the rear arent.....which makes NO sense seeing as the front are the calipers that get the most pressure/use/heat. The rear dont do that much.

I am going to strip mine and then redo them with poss a G2 kit or maybe the engine grade paint.
You might be putting too many coats. I've done some painting in my life, and sometimes more isn't better. I've used 2 coats of dupicolor engine enamel and never had a problem for several years now. If it gets too thick, it may be cracking from expansion and contraction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
I used G2. It's a 2 part paint, but definetly worh the time. More than 2 yrs and it still looks great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
I used the duplicolor caliper paint (brush on kit). It came with the degreaser, masking tape, paint, brush, and stir stick. It only costs 17 dollars after taxes, and took about 90 minutes to do all 4 with the factory scissor (can't spell) jack. The only down side, is it is suggested that the car have 24 hours to dry before you can drive it.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Thanks. it has only been 1 week though; we will see how well it holds up. I drive agressive so the brakes get worked, no problems yet.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top