Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas cap is fading really bad at the top. Im not sure whether to get it repainted or get the metalic door. Right now i like the look of my exterior. My exterior mods so far are FL headlights, 6k hids, tint, short antenna, debadged the car and put on the Aussie T badges, black painted calipers and uneeks rotors and pads. I will nightshade the tails eventually. My car is moonlit blue. Im just not sure if the metalic cap will look good. Im liking how sleek my car looks right now and im not sure if the metalic cap will mesh with the car. I might get the chrome exterior door handles but im not sure if these will add to my cars sleek appearance or take away from it. If anyone has pics of both, post them up.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I know as far as the paint "warranty" is concerned, my dealership repainted my gas door once. After it started chipping/fading again they said they wouldn't cover it a second time. They said because of "damage", but it was like that when they repainted the first time. (some ******* kicked my car where the gas door is) IMO to keep the "sleek" appearance I'd go with the clear gas door.

·
Banned
312 Posts
Yea.. I don't know how a clear gas door would be 'sleek'... Tacky is the word I'd probably go with. You could probably get it repainted for the same price you'd pay for the metallic one, or maybe get it painted black to match the dark headlights/painted rotors.

·
Retired Staff
4,860 Posts
Teh problem is the clear gas door is only the little door, you still have to use your outer "ring" and that's where mine is faded and looks the worst. Stupid pain in the *** Hyundai paint!

Does anyone have the metallic gas cap on a silver tib?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTea said:
Yea.. I don't know how a clear gas door would be 'sleek'... Tacky is the word I'd probably go with. You could probably get it repainted for the same price you'd pay for the metallic one, or maybe get it painted black to match the dark headlights/painted rotors.
Ya, I agree on the clear door. Definately not my taste. Maybe i will just get it repainted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Going to divert just a second my apologies, but has anyone sandblasted the stock fuel door to see what's under it? I was looking at fuel doors on ebay and like 50-60$ shipped, and thought that if I sandblasted the fuel door wouldn't it just leave it metal looking anyway? A good sandblasting and then not touching it and getting a auto clear coat on it maybe cheaper. BTW in same boat as you with fuel distorting the color of the fuel door.

·
Registered
55 Posts
its plastic underneath.. but I have hand sanded and resprayed with a good acrylic paint on a couple of gas caps .. havent had a problem since .
Go on down to autozone get some 400 and 800 grit paper ,Wet sand with the 400 first then the 800. Spray with a few coats of duplicolor .. Good as new .

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hellsiege said:
Going to divert just a second my apologies, but has anyone sandblasted the stock fuel door to see what's under it? I was looking at fuel doors on ebay and like 50-60$ shipped, and thought that if I sandblasted the fuel door wouldn't it just leave it metal looking anyway? A good sandblasting and then not touching it and getting a auto clear coat on it maybe cheaper. BTW in same boat as you with fuel distorting the color of the fuel door.
The door is plastic not metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts