Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: DIY: Painting stock 17" rims

hey guys, i was wondering before painting my 16'' stock rims... will the paint eventually come off the rim? Since it's aluminium, i'm not sure if it will stay! Also, did someone tried to paint these rims? Does it look good (talking about these 16'' rims from my 03, not the gt version)? (sorry for my bad english, been a while)

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts

Hum, sorry for that last post, didn't read the entire thread... but still, i'd like to see how it looks on 03 16'' stock rims! did anyone tried it?

·
Banned
9,129 Posts

hey guys, i was wondering before painting my 16'' stock rims... will the paint eventually come off the rim? Since it's aluminium, i'm not sure if it will stay! Also, did someone tried to paint these rims? Does it look good (talking about these 16'' rims from my 03, not the gt version)? (sorry for my bad english, been a while)

Thanks!

if you search long and hard you will see some that have been painted...the key to making them look good is to do a professional job on them and dont cheap out on the paint and getting them cleared is the most important step in the process!

·
Registered
88 Posts

Ok, so for those of you who have 16'' stock rims, this is how it looks:

I'm pretty happy with the results, i must admit that wearing the stock grey rims wasn't very appealing...

·
Registered
88 Posts

Ok, so for those of you who have 16'' stock rims, this is how it looks:

I'm pretty happy with the results, i must admit that wearing the stock grey rims wasn't very appealing...
Ahem...ok, i don't know how to post pictures so here we go:

http://img121.imageshack.us/i/1104101242002.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
http://img21.imageshack.us/i/1104101622000.jpg
http://img716.imageshack.us/i/1104101622003.jpg

·
Registered
483 Posts

This is all also in my rebuild thread if anyone is interested. http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199649
Finally pulled the tape off of the factory rims tonight. So they do NOT have a clear coat on them, and thus have no been wet sanded obviously. So by no means is this what they will look like when they get put on the car, in the pictures the paint has orange peel of course and it sparkles in some places where it's supposed to only be black because of the blue being metallic. Edges are still rough as well. Also because of the lighting and the camera, even the monitor you view the pictures on the color is not going to be the same as it really is. Try to imagine the Vivid Blue color our cars come in from the factory, but slightly darker. Now that I've got that out of the way, here are the pictures! P.S.does anyone by chance know if anyone else has two toned their factory rims out of curiosity?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: PAINTING stock 17" rims

i'm considering painting my wheels in the spring, i'm just a little worried about how well this weathers. anyone know how well the paint holds up?

if its heat your are worrying about it actually keeps its color pretty good because its hot here year round. i did this between 6months and a year ago and basically if you just wash them with wheel cleaner whenever you clean your car and theyll stay dark and look clean. also i took them all off the other day and put a couple coats of black and one clear, so with some cleaning and a touchup every 6-9 months (if you want to of course) and youll be set. good luck if you decide to do it but im sure youll be happy if you do.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Finished my rims on Saturday.... Really happy about this

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts

I had a lot of gunk and build up on my rims, so I decided I'd strip the paint off before I repaint them. So I got some of that airplane stripper (the so-called 'potent' stuff in a can [Rustoleum brand]) and applied it THICK. That stuff works as well as a trash bag as a parachute! 2 hours and $14.99 later, some parts are stripped but for the most part the stripper didn't get down to the metal. I'm not too worried about it anymore since they are cheap rims. Don't care about the gunk on the backside, just care about the facia so I'm just gonna primer and paint over whatever paint stayed behind.

·
Registered
171 Posts

i did mine this weekend! i love the way they turned out. 2011-08-14 15.47.56.jpg

2011-08-14 19.11.23.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts

Is there enough of a lip on the 08 gt rims to leave it silver or would I have to paint the whole thing black?

·
Registered
75 Posts

I did this, but I did a horrible job and the paint is chipping off :\ I think I might try Plasti-Dip!

·
Registered
15 Posts

I really like the two tone black and blue! I'm going to try this with mine but with red and a red lip.

161 - 180 of 215 Posts