Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...just 2 questions.
1. What's the best setup for painting body panels?
2. What's the best setup for painting interior pieces?

Type of gun/compressor rating/paint/flow/etc. I'm trying to paint some stuff myself and don't wanna use a can of spray paint if you know what I mean. I've painted before, but need some input. My completed jobs never look that good (always runs, never new car smoothness). Don't know if it's the set-up, or gun, or what.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I painted my friends interior on his 2001 chevy cavalier.. no pic sorry... however looked brand new when we finished... we bought a bunch of vinyl and fabric paint from auto zone...

1. disassemble the pieces you want to paint

2. wash the pieces

3. when spraying start 6" to the left and finish 6" to the right of the piece..

4. paint lightly with a lot of coats.. this will avoid running

5. after finished put a couple clear coats on it

6. reassemble the pieces

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,456 Posts
Well there you go. He covered it all.

·
Registered
588 Posts
yep make sure you get that follow through and start spraying before and continue past what your painting.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So you just used AutoZone interior vinyl paint?
I know how to do all that. I was meaning using a spray gun to get the interior pieces looking like they blend in from the exterior with no texture. Ex. removing, washing, sanding, prep & paint.

Need to get settings for flow and nossle types, etc.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So you used spray paint? Just the AutoZone interior vinyl paint?
Anyone out there know about painting exterior parts w/spray gun?
nah every engine cover ive ever painted ive just used spray paint. ive got now the ability to do automotive style and oem colors though. i dont have a sprayer. but ive got this can looks like regular spray paint can. but has a nozzle on the side. i basically fill it up with any paint i desire. take my cheapo air compressor pressurize it and ive got my self a poor mans paint sprayer. factory oem colors in can. :3_winkthu

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In your opinion what type of automotive paint for interior if not painting the soft parts? Dupont?

·
Registered
588 Posts
In your opinion what type of automotive paint for interior if not painting the soft parts? Dupont?
not sure ive never gotten as involved into painting like your talking. ive never painted a dash before. most of the stuff ive painted has been simple plastics. your prep work is gonna be key. for painting a dash your gonna do a LOT of sanding with various grits. And i would do some wet sanding to finish up so that when your done painting youve got a good quality finish.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. I appreciate your responses. I'm gonna have to probably get ahold of a automotive painter to get my settings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Holy crap!!!
That looks darned good!
Have you put it together?
I cant wait to see the final result !

Anyway It'll be sweeter if I can have a Louis Vuitton dashboard.

Kinda like this? PM me fo more info. Almost done painting / fiberglassing entire interior!~
Moldin TV's in dash etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts