Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Mechanical Engineer
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem is very similar to Grasshopper's issue here:
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112514

I noticed a few days ago that my battery and brake lights would flash every so often. It would flash so quickly that I could tell something in my dash was flashing, but I couldn't tell exactly what. It took me ten minutes of trying to catch it when I finally saw it. And as the drive went on, the flashing would become more frequent. I noticed they would only flash upon a load change, but not every time. Sometimes it would flash if I accelerated, sometimes it would flash if I let off the accelerator, sometimes both, and sometimes neither. If I went over a pothole or speed bump it would flash. I drove up to my school today (about an hour), and the problems got pretty bad later in the drive. At a few points, my radio turned off and back on. The battery was registering between 11.7-12 volts off, and between 13.5-14 volts on.

In any event, I figured it was either a battery or alternator problem, so I took the car to get tested. Battery test came back okay, but a bit more discharged than usual. The alternator, on the other hand, did not. The max current output is supposed to be rated at 110 amps, and 90+ amps is considered acceptable. Mine was 41.3 amps.

I really don't have any electrical work done. MAFterburner, ground wires, and heated seats are the only wiring things I ever screwed around with, and they're all working well. Should I take it to Hyundai? Will an alternator replacement be covered under warranty? Car is 2.5 years old and has 29,500 miles on the clock.

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Well let's recap our evidence:

-Battery and Brake light are flashing
-Tested output was at 41 amps.
-Electronics shutting off

Sounds like you have a faulty alt. Yes, it will be covered under the 5y/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty. Make sure your grounds are solid. But it definitely sounds like the alternator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
what do you think bosco, possibly the hotshots got in the way of the alternator primary wire? During my ride up to school, I thought of another possibility .... belt slip? Remember you stated that the light only flashed for a split second under a quick jolt or hard acceleration? Maybe this could be it. I'll ride up with you to the Hyundai dealership if you want, if they give you any ****. I also did a recall lookup on your year/make/model, and found nothing regaurding alternators.

I'll keep you updated as to when I get back from finals. Untill then, lets hope the problem does not incline.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's possible, but I've had the headers for almost two years and this has never happened before. I did recently revamp some messed up O2 sensor wiring, which hangs about four inches from the alternator. Is it possible that it isn't secured and touching the alternator, causing problems?

I'll have to take a look at the connections to the alternator and see if anything suspicious is happening. Thanks for the response, Grasshopper.

Joe, I don't think a belt slip is possible. Besides the full size lightweight crank pulley, it's all stock. If I had a supercharger and a small pulley, then I could see how it would be a possibility. But under N/A conditions? Probably not likely.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I found the problem.

I towed the car to Hyundai, which ended up costing me $60 since it was not the closest dealership, but it's one that I trust more than the others. They looked over the car and charged me $160. What did they do? Replaced the battery and sent me on my way. They said they tested the charging system and it came back fine.

The problem was very minimal for the next few days after that. I brought the car to get inspected yesterday (ended up failing because the drive cycle is not complete) and when I brought it home this morning, the problem was absolutely horrendous. I parked it at my house and opened the hood, and much to my dismay, I heard sizzling. I look back, and I can barely make out sparks shooting out of a cable sitting right on top of the headers. Yep, turns out Grasshopper was right. The cable had some pretty decent damage, but not enough to render it unusable. After zip-tying it out of the way, I covered the affected area in electrical tape and put duct tape around the whole thing to hold it in place.

Problem solved. Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
well call hyundai and tell em to give you your money back and a new alternator.

Man, if i was at the counter and they wanted 160 dollars for a new battery after i had tested it and it was ok, they would have gotten an earful and no money...

Did you pay with a CC? If so, and hyundai doesn't refund you, dispute the charge saying the dealership ripped you off...

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well call hyundai and tell em to give you your money back and a new alternator.

Man, if i was at the counter and they wanted 160 dollars for a new battery after i had tested it and it was ok, they would have gotten an earful and no money...

Did you pay with a CC? If so, and hyundai doesn't refund you, dispute the charge saying the dealership ripped you off...
Honestly, I would, but this is the only dealership that will even give my car the time of day. I understand they screwed up here and got away with highway robbery, but at least they didn't fail my car for an emissions test and then joyride in my car like the last dealership did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a similar problem, I changed my trunk light and afterwards my radio, map light and trunk light wont come on, i checked all my fuses and they are fine, i noticed a flashing yellow indicator AFTER i shut my trunk saying my trunk is still open. Everytime I turn off my car it would reset everything in the dash (ac, clock), i even tried Automax and a garage and they got nothing .......... I am some what freaking out. Please help

·
Administrator
9,204 Posts
I have a similar problem, I changed my trunk light and afterwards my radio, map light and trunk light wont come on, i checked all my fuses and they are fine, i noticed a flashing yellow indicator AFTER i shut my trunk saying my trunk is still open. Everytime I turn off my car it would reset everything in the dash (ac, clock), i even tried Automax and a garage and they got nothing .......... I am some what freaking out. Please help
I replied here.....

Charged battery should be ~12.8VDC+.
Engine running, battery should be ~13.4-13.8 at idle, 13.8-14.4 at high idle+. This is how you check if the alternator is OK.
You can turn on headlights & radio to see if the voltage drops a lot which may indicate another issue.

Check grounds (main is between the UIM & the firewall, must be clean & tight and NOT sitting on a painted UIM.)

Do you have HID's?

PS, you would have been better off just adding info to your existing thread.

·
Administrator
9,204 Posts
I want to know if the wires was shorting out that can cost any problem to the alternator?? Please answer it just happen to me en now battery light is flashing
Yes, shorts can hurt the alternator, usually blows the rectifier diodes (they convert the AC voltage to DC/battery voltage). Check voltages as listed earlier in this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts