Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if CF hoods are suseptible to damage from bird poop like factory paint is? I might buy a CF hood over the winter 'cuz my stock hood is somewhat messed up from highway driving and one unsightly bird dropping spot (well I can see it but other people probably don't.)

Also, what do you guys think about having the hood wet sanded as opposed to buying a new hood?

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
whatever hood you get, bring to a body shop immeadiately to get clear coated...

and then jus take care of it... and you should be fine

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohyaa69 said:
As far as the bird poop stain on your factory hood, I had the same issue and its just from letting it sit to long and not taking it off. All you really need to do to take it off is get yourself some claybar and go to work and it'll come right off.
I try to clean it off as soon as I see it. Like when I get out of work there is sometimes a spot and I clean it right away, everyday. But it still seems to leave a little mark when you look at it from a certain angle. I also had it detailed (the guy did a really good job) but he couldn't get the spot on my hood off.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I thought the finished shiney CF hoods alreadyu have a clear coat. That sucks if a good CF hood is 400+ and then you need to go pay over 100 more to have it clear coated.

I would think that waxing the hood and making sure you wash off the bird poop as soon as you can would be plenty safe.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
SpiffyJ said:
I try to clean it off as soon as I see it. Like when I get out of work there is sometimes a spot and I clean it right away, everyday. But it still seems to leave a little mark when you look at it from a certain angle. I also had it detailed (the guy did a really good job) but he couldn't get the spot on my hood off.
Even if you got it detailed I promise you clay bar will take it off i had the same type of stain on my hood but mine was like half dollar sized and clay bar took it right off. What clay bar basically does is it removes any toxins and stuff thats on the actual finish of the paint. Give it a try I promise it will not only remove the stain but also make the finish of you paint glass smooth if you do the whole car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohyaa69 said:
Even if you got it detailed I promise you clay bar will take it off i had the same type of stain on my hood but mine was like half dollar sized and clay bar took it right off. What clay bar basically does is it removes any toxins and stuff thats on the actual finish of the paint. Give it a try I promise it will not only remove the stain but also make the finish of you paint glass smooth if you do the whole car.
Ok, i'll give it a try. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Careful about cleaning off bird poop. It has sand/dirt in it. You see the digestive system is different in birds. They don't have a stomach, they have a gizzard where the food combines with sand/dirt to be ground up. Hose off the crap, don't ever rub it off.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
havnt had any problems with mine and birds, i try and clean the car once a week and any dropping gets washed off quickly

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Rickna said:
Careful about cleaning off bird poop. It has sand/dirt in it. You see the digestive system is different in birds. They don't have a stomach, they have a gizzard where the food combines with sand/dirt to be ground up. Hose off the crap, don't ever rub it off.
Yeah I made that mistake once, put some fine scratches on my hood. Make sure its nice and moist before even trying to take it off.

·
Registered
256 Posts
God you'd think we were talking about some serious toxic, mutant birds that take catostrophic automotive distroying sh1ts or something. . . . .

. . . . .Roger that. . droping birdie bomb num#1 :2_eek:

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Kitsune said:
God you'd think we were talking about some serious toxic, mutant birds that take catostrophic automotive distroying sh1ts or something. . . . .

You haven't seen some of the 3 eyed, one legged, beer sipping, mutant seagulls at Daytona Beach. They'll lock a target and 5 0r 10 will perform a raid taking turns spackling your car.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i take it real serious when i payed some good money for the Vis CF hood. I do my best to take care of it.. CF looks great and but can look like *** with fading and chips and such

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Kitsune said:

My wife had a black lexus IS300 and the paint was seriously messed up from bird poop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts