Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I currently am using the Perfect Power SMT6 that is supplied with the Jattus turbo kit, I bought this back in 2015 and replaced all of my internals, bottom end and top end. I had her running pretty damn good until suddenly my Perfect Power stopped communicating with my laptop, and it was plugged in at the time too.. The weird part was my tune stayed on the piggyback and was still giving fuel through the 5th injector but I couldnt get the Perfect Power to communicate to my laptop anymore, I tried a new cord and it didnt work either.. Any ideas of why it would stop communicating? Could the a positive wire possibly have grounded while it was communicating to the laptop and fried the USB port? I honestly am stumped.. any ideas? and also Im thinking I would look for a different piggyback system if I cant get this one fixed if anyone could give me some recommendations on what a good piggyback system would be to get that is fairly compatible with our beta2. BTW I have MAF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called perfect power and they said i probably fried the usb port.. so im tossing this thing lol i never really thought the 5th injector system was that great anyways so forget the Perfect Power.

Can you tell me what piggyback system would be most compatible with our beta2? Ive been looking at the AEM F/IC6 or the Ecumaster DET3.. which one of those do you think would be the most compatible and would be the better route? What are some of the pros and cons of each of those and what are the differences? I am also open to other piggyback systems suggestions too, thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just purchased an AEM FIC 6 30-1910. New in box. I am in the installation now. Does anyone have any maps or tuning data from using one of these units?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just purchased an AEM FIC 6 30-1910. New in box. I am in the installation now. Does anyone have any maps or tuning data from using one of these units?
What size injectors are you planning on using?

I've been running the FIC for about 3 years on my car. It works but I can definitely see the limitations of using a piggyback instead of going full standalone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I am planning (hoping) to run the stock injectors. I have good liquid filled AutoMeter Pro- series gauges: Vac/Boost, Fuel Pressure, and Wideband & heated AFR - all 2-5/8" face. I have a Aeromotive pump and Boost compensating fuel pressure regulator. Without a custom ECU I am able to turn the fuel pressure up so much that the engine smokes, chokes and is clearly smog illegal even under boost. So I theorize that the stock injectors have the ability to flow sufficient fuel if I adjust the fuel pressure. Then I am hoping that with the new additional ECU that I will also be able to adjust spray times and have even more control.

I am only running a 6 psi spring in the wastegate. As I get more control, mapping experience, and saved maps, I am interested in increasing boost in the future -safely and slowly.

I also theorize that a fogger nozzle for enrichment fuel , threaded right into thee plenum center, could be jetted (adjusted) such that a fifth fuel injector signal 'ON/OFF" could be run through a nitrous solenoid and wired to come on only under boost conditions. ...I hope to run a small nitrous system also in the future, to overcome boost lag time, so enrichment fuel and nitrous solenoids involved in a wet system will be readily available. -I'd have NOS already, but I can't find a place locally to refill bottles.

Please tell me more about your car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm not sure that stock injectors are going to the job.

My car running the evo 8 exhaust manifold and turbo, evo X injectors, with the FIC controlling it. I would like to upgrade to a standalone in the future.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
People have done what your trying to do with just upping the fuel pressure. Keep in mind there are several things that can and will go wrong. Here's a short list

1) The OEM ECU does not like to see MAF voltages above 4.7-4.8volts. You will hit those values at 4-5 psi at which point the ECU will freak out and probably put you into limp mode.
2) The OEM fuel injectors reach 100% duty cycle at 3-4psi so upping your fuel pressure will lower the duty cycle a bit but you will still be walking on thin ice duty cycle wise. If an injector is held at 100% duty cycle too long it will fail either open or close which can cause catastrophic failure. Using larger injectors and some way to control them would be a better idea
3) The OEM ECU is going to try to maintain stoich 14.7 AFR under low/part throttle conditions. Depending on the turbo you use you could definitely be under boost at low/part throttle. Boost plus 14.7 AFR typically doesn't make for a long lived stock engine.
4) You may think using a N2O fogger as a 5th injector sounds like a good idea, but it's not. The gasoline relies on the N2O being injected to probably atomize. Without the N2O the gas will not atomize correctly and you will not get even fuel distribution amongst cylinders. This typically leads to bad things. Generally an sub injector is a band aid fixed and doesn't lean to long engine live. OEM's design intake manifold to distribute air, not fuel.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
aren't there other piggybacks that could work well like a greddy EMU?
I've hard of the EMU and FIC commonly being compared to each other, but not on NT it seems.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Nobody that I know of has gotten the Greddy Emanage to work properly on a Tiburon. Quite a few have gotten the FIC to work fairly well. That would be my suggesting to you for a fairly low boost set up. There might even be people on this site with a base map tune you can use with larger injectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Over here in Aus, I contacted 2 tuners and they both said the same thing. Install a Haltech elite ecu and run it like a piggy back. Costly option but they are considered the best ecu’s here.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I run an Elite 2500 in my V6 and its the best mod I've done next to the supercharger. It costs quite a bit more money but if your in Aussie land that's where Haltech is based. Save up your dollars and have them do the install and tuning. You won't regret it! You could probably get by with an Elite 750 or 1000 which is definitely a cheaper way to go especially if your putting them in piggy back mode. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah that’s what route I’ll go if I ever Turbo another Tib, an elite 550 or 750. My mortgage is getting in the way of that happening 😂.
I’ve seen a couple of RD Tibs here running an EMS and I’ve seen a guy with a Turbo accent running a MicroTech LT 10 I think it was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts