Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

This is my first time posting on this site, but I've been reading from it for a while. I've owned 2 tiburons, but the one I have currently is a white '07 GT. I've had it for almost 2 years, and have been chasing down issues since I got it. Basically, I'm having random misfire issues, and I don't know what's causing it.

So far I have done:
Plugs
Wires
Coils
Injectors
PCV Valve
Camshaft sensor
O2 Sensors
Throttle Body
ECU Replacement

Nothing has worked. I've taken it to 2 shops and basically just threw a bunch of money out the window. The first shop told me to do the PCV Valve. I had them do it, no luck. The second shop hooked up a smoke machine and told me to do the throttle body. Did that myself, no luck. Finally, I bought a used ECU thinking it was something with the computer.... again, no luck. In addition to misfires, there is also a slight tick coming from the front passenger wheel well, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. It won't pass inspection, and I'm a college student that can't afford to just throw money at it. At this point I'm desperate- any thoughts, ideas, tests, help, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
622 Posts
Did you buy genuine Hyundai OEM sensors? Or bottom of the barrel junk that the mechanics marked up 100%? This is especially important for O2 sensors, MAF sensors and crank/cam sensors. If your MAF sensor doesn't have a genuine Hyundai sticker I would recommend starting from there. If you paid less than $150 for a MAF sensor it's 100% not genuine and it's not going to work well.

I've seen random misfires from a poorly performing crankshaft position sensor and often times heat is the culprit. Try a genuine Hyundai crankshaft sensor by NTK brand and see if that helps after you've replaced the MAF with a genuine sensor.

Reactions: Scorpio13

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pull the timing cover off and see if its in timing. If the belt has jumped at all, it can cause misfires. Won't cost you anything to check it. Also reading further, the ticking could be a belt. I believe on Tiburons, the timing belt is passenger side. I own a 4 cylinder 08, not sure if its located elsewhere on the GT.

It sounds like its worth checking given the information you've provided.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts