Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SDS is up and running. Idle is perfect with absolutely no tune. The problem is that when I press the gas the car will rev to 3000rpm, but it won't drop back down to idle. I have the TurboXS H34 bypass valve. The problem is something with the valve. If I take the vacuum line off the valve and cap it the car will drop back down to idle. Also, if I put 5 of the washers in the valve the car will drop back down to idle after pressing the gas, but the idle is rougher than with no washers.

At idle I'm reading about 15 vac. on the boost gauge.

Can someone please give me some recommendations? If anything, how many washers are you draw thru guys putting in the H34 valve?

How does the valve work? Does adding washers make the valve close at idle?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was one of the first ones with the Turboxs valve... I think and havent ever had problems. Ive ran it since mid summer. I did't even put any washers in it. I think the washers just make it realease boost for a less ammount of time or something i might be wrong... someone else would have to comferm it. Did you try oiling it and looking for imperfections? Mabye you got a crusty valve? Did u set it back up right? oh and ur vac should be 15-17 at idle.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was one of the first ones with the Turboxs valve... I think and havent ever had problems. Ive ran it since mid summer. I did't even put any washers in it. I think the washers just make it realease boost for a less ammount of time or something i might be wrong... someone else would have to comferm it. Did you try oiling it and looking for imperfections? Mabye you got a crusty valve? Did u set it back up right? oh and ur vac should be 15-17 at idle.
It does idle best with no washers, but then I have the hanging idle problem once I push the gas. The only thing I have done different is I put a breather filter on the rear valve cover instead of running back into the intake. Will that cause a problem?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It does idle best with no washers, but then I have the hanging idle problem once I push the gas. The only thing I have done different is I put a breather filter on the rear valve cover instead of running back into the intake. Will that cause a problem?
no that wont cause that problem. I've been running mine like that for a while with no problems all though ironically I installed an icebox last weekend and now i am having the same problem only on top of that my blow off valve doesn't seam to ever blow off. Ill be looking into it better tonight ill let you know if i find anything that i think you might find useful

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Called TurboXs they said that adding washers makes the valve close at idle by increasing spring tension. Heres a pic of the setup

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
no that wont cause that problem. I've been running mine like that for a while with no problems all though ironically I installed an icebox last weekend and now i am having the same problem only on top of that my blow off valve doesn't seam to ever blow off. Ill be looking into it better tonight ill let you know if i find anything that i think you might find useful
So here is what I found from an hour of searching.
- If your remove the TPS sensor from the throttle body that can cause the hanging idle. I removed the sensor with the black plug (IAC), but not the TPS (black plug gray line). Not sure if this will cause a problem.

- I have a hondata heat spacer gasket for the IM and was told I didn't need additional gaskets, but I saw in a thread that a stock gasket needs to go on both sides of the heat saver gasket. Is this true?

- Called RIPP they said to touch the + and - battery terminals together to reset the ECU and they said that 15 vac was perfect.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
- If your remove the TPS sensor from the throttle body that can cause the hanging idle. I removed the sensor with the black plug (IAC), but not the TPS (black plug gray line). Not sure if this will cause a problem.
Dam thats probably my problem i switched my sensors to one that had been ported dam it dont know how i damged it i was carefull as hell. Then again that doesnt explain my BOV problem so maybe thats not it hmmmm

·
Registered
890 Posts
Shady, that hangy idle is just a glitch in the idle load tune on those tuned ecus. It's no big deal, if you have a manual (i cant remember) just let the clutch out a bit that takes it down to normal. It is all in the iac though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shady, that hangy idle is just a glitch in the idle load tune on those tuned ecus. It's no big deal, if you have a manual (i cant remember) just let the clutch out a bit that takes it down to normal. It is all in the iac though.
Tom, can you PM me your phone number again I lost it somewhere.

If it is the ECU then why does messing with the BOV fix the problem? If I remove the vacuum line or fill it full of washers the problem goes away, but then the idle is rough. Also, the clutch was released when this was happening.

Assuming it is the ECU when will this happen? Only if I hit the gas at idle under no load or will it get hung up at 3000 during daily driving, etc?

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Well I'm not sure if adding washers automatically closes the BPV at idle (I'm not running any with the RBV-H), but they are designed to increase the tension on the spring.

But as for 15 hg in being the proper vacuum at idle... that is incorrect. You should be between 18-20 hg in at idle (I'm at 19), so I'd guess there is a vacuum leak somewhere. And I'm also running a filter on the crankcase breather nose fitting on the rear valve cover, so that shouldn't be it.

Could be the tweaked ECU, I suppose... but either way, it's not normal.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I'm not sure if adding washers automatically closes the BPV at idle (I'm not running any with the RBV-H), but they are designed to increase the tension on the spring.

But as for 15 hg in being the proper vacuum at idle... that is incorrect. You should be between 18-20 hg in at idle (I'm at 19), so I'd guess there is a vacuum leak somewhere. And I'm also running a filter on the crankcase breather nose fitting on the rear valve cover, so that shouldn't be it.

Could be the tweaked ECU, I suppose... but either way, it's not normal.
Thanks Dzignr, I talked to Tom and he said that the ECU has a glich in the idle load tables so if you rev in neutral with no load it will get caught up at 3 grand. He said to fix it just let the clutch out to put some load on the engine and it will drop. He thinks that when the Koreans advanced the idle timing it threw the IAC off and thus the hanging idle.

As for the vacuum leak. Obviously I have one. I'm guessing it is the hondata gasket. Does anyone know if I need stock gaskets along with the hondata gasket?

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.

EDIT: according to the hondata website the gasket is replacement, so I'm not sure what ppl were doing in the other threads where they put stock gaskets on both sides of it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good luck with the project mang........
Thanks. I was stoked when it idled like stock and then I hit the gas and all the excitement was gone. I've never driven a quick car. My tib being the fastest car I have driven, so I can't wait to see what BOOST feels like. But o well, I have until summer to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks. I was stoked when it idled like stock and then I hit the gas and all the excitement was gone. I've never driven a quick car. My tib being the fastest car I have driven, so I can't wait to see what BOOST feels like. But o well, I have until summer to figure it out.
you know,...BOOST is addicting specially with a built motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.