Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! So my S/O owns a Automatic 2005 Tiburon GT as his only car and just the other day we were on our way to the store and on the highway it Auto-shifted really hard and when it did it again it made a loud weird noise and the check engine light came on. The tranny has always slipped a few times but never like that. We immediately pulled over and tried to look and listen to the engine And nothing seemed different. So we went straight to Autozone and got. A diagnostic and it threw only the code P0700 for the “Transmission Control Relay” To be replaced. Someone else on here said that they were leaking coolant and they just had to replace the speed sensors cause they think the coolant shorted one of them, ours is leaking coolant too and it has been since we got it. So were not sure if the speed sensors just need replaced or something else? The man at Autozone asked how much transmission fluid is in the car and we are a little stupid and cant see where the line is on the dip stick. We drove it to his fathers house maybe only 5 minutes from the Autozone and it slipped a lot more then usual and now its sitting there cause we dont want it to lock up. So we arent sure what to do. Any advice would help!
Vehicle:
2005 Hyundai Tiburon V6

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't see a P0700 code in the Hyundai manual for the auto transmission (starts at P0703). I did find it under the regular engine codes and it just means the Transmission computer has told the ECU to turn on the CEL for a problem, its just a general code not specific.
Sounds to me like the transmission is giving up and going into limp home mode because a clutch pack is burned out. Time for a rebuild or a junkyard one (both expensive). If it's been slipping for some time, they only can do that for so long until something wears out or breaks internally. Leaking regular coolant will not affect the transmission really unless driven hard (and the engine probably would suffer more). If it's leaking ATF, or trans fluid which is pink/red, then that is a problem. How many miles on the car?

·
Administrator
8,783 Posts
I don't see a P0700 code in the Hyundai manual for the auto transmission (starts at P0703). I did find it under the regular engine codes and it just means the Transmission computer has told the ECU to turn on the CEL for a problem, its just a general code not specific.
Sounds to me like the transmission is giving up and going into limp home mode because a clutch pack is burned out. Time for a rebuild or a junkyard one (both expensive). If it's been slipping for some time, they only can do that for so long until something wears out or breaks internally. Leaking regular coolant will not affect the transmission really unless driven hard (and the engine probably would suffer more). If it's leaking ATF, or trans fluid which is pink/red, then that is a problem. How many miles on the car?
Agreed......online search for "Hyundai P0700" gives.....Link...
Good AT fluid can be hard to see.....pull dipstick, wipe, insert, pull out, check in good light for the shine. Most AT's require "hot, idling, neutral".....may also be stamped on the dipstick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has a little over 141k

1 - 4 of 4 Posts