Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend is telling me that i should get a plenum for my car, he has a 350z and he did it, im not entirely sure on what this is haha any insight?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
A Plenum is what your throttle body mounts too, it is the air chamber that the intake runners feed from. Your friend is a Idiot, never listen to him again...

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It's about 1000 bucks is what it is; that's if he is talking about the Upper Intake Manifold. The Lower intake manifold is also called a Center Plenum runs from 200 up to about 500. I wouldn't even consider putting it on until you do all your other basic N/A modifications (Intake, Headers, Exahust) and figure out where you want to go with your car. You're going to feel pretty silly buying it, and then a year down the road considering a Supercharger... Read up and you will know what i'm talking about.

Also go google ngm house of power. That should get you started.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Tell you friend that I can sell him some headlight fluid for cheap, $500 a bottle.

Edit: Aaaaah, he was referring to an aftermarket upper IM and not the stock IM that is already on the car. Carry on.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
um, thats a little general of a statement. There is the plenum on the upper intake manifold, apparently the lower intake manifold is a center plenum, and then there is a plenum spacer.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha i dont think i explained enough sorry i think he mean some kind of spacer for the plenum on the upper intake

·
Registered
899 Posts
ya, I have one..u can get them in 3mm thick and 8mm thick i believe...they just keep alot of heat from transfering from the lower intake manifold to the upper intake manifold...I noticed my manifold was noticeably cooler after running the car but nuthin special...

if your friend told you that it gives you a bagilimilithousian HP then he is a moron and a liar..its nuthin special..just another mod

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha no he didnt say it would do that just that he thought it was a good idea and might help

·
Registered
72 Posts
haha no he didnt say it would do that just that he thought it was a good idea and might help
Back when I had my mustang gt, I put a spacer on my plenum and it didn't do much at all. I gained 3RWHP and 4RWTQ. :3_sleepey

However, I replaced the plenum and gained 12RWHP and 15RWTQ! Unfortunately, the Tiburon doesn't have a plenum that you can replace. The upper intake manifold and plenum are fused into one design (same for the NGM Stage IV).

The Mustang worked like this: Lower intake Manifold, Upper intake manifold, Plenum, Throttle body. Aaaand...my useless knowledge for the day is complete.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha okay guys thanks alot for the information im just gonna ditch the plenum idea all together

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
It's about 1000 bucks is what it is; that's if he is talking about the Upper Intake Manifold. The Lower intake manifold is also called a Center Plenum runs from 200 up to about 500. I wouldn't even consider putting it on until you do all your other basic N/A modifications (Intake, Headers, Exahust) and figure out where you want to go with your car. You're going to feel pretty silly buying it, and then a year down the road considering a Supercharger... Read up and you will know what i'm talking about.

Also go google ngm house of power. That should get you started.
You're talking about an aftermarket intake manifolds :)

I have about 10 intake manifolds sitting around at my place.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
some cars gain power (torque) from spacer because their runners are too short - mostly carburated muscle cars ... too short runners does not give enough time for fuel to mix with air
In contemporary cars you gain hp with spacer only due to reduction in heat soak ....

·
Registered
185 Posts
You're talking about an aftermarket intake manifolds :)

I have about 10 intake manifolds sitting around at my place.
What do you mean?

I want one

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Your friend is probably talking about a plenum spacer. It's a half-inch-or-so thick piece of urethane, some are made of a different material, it really depends which brand you go with. It sits in between the upper and lower intake manifold.

It will give you a minimal increase, probably around 5 hp, but it does a lot more for your friend's 350Z in the way of performance gains. It yields about 10 hp for the Z. The 350's intake is already fairly open so just a cold air intake will only yield maybe 2-3 hp from what all the owners say.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts