Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW! As some of you know I turned my head and IM in for P&P'ing about 2 weeks ago. The guy at the front desk said it would be no problem. So I've been in contact with the guy doin my stuff and today he decides to tell me that he has done plenty of imports but never a Tib. And he is terrified to touch the thing! AFTER 2 WEEKS!!!! He says that he can port out my exhaust, intake and intake manifold if i get some measurements.

Soooo... You guys that have your stuff ported please tell me what specs i should give this guy.

keep in mind that I want to stay with the same valves and cams. I want to go as big as possible without changing these out

I dont really care about reving up to get to the wheel hp... however i would still like torque... so i guess what I want is exactly what Dave says... I need a "street port"

but like i said this guy wants measurements.

thanx for the help guys

Oh can anyone tell me anything about this-------->

http://compactdivisions.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_7_8_13&products_id=95&osCsid=a2d87a2a8817b1d566cc622ac74ff764

the mechanic says that if he takes the intake ports on the IM to just under gasket size that might be bad - making it too thin

in short... HELP!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
my point is your guy got hands growing off the wrong place and should not be allowed to do a serious job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,088 Posts
Any competent head porter should have a flow bench. With a flow bench they can work on any head by monitoring the air flow through the ports. Does this guy even have a flow bench? If not take your head somewhere else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
dmdicks said:
Any competent head porter should have a flow bench. With a flow bench they can work on any head by monitoring the air flow through the ports. Does this guy even have a flow bench? If not take your head somewhere else.

ok. lets say that he does have one. what kind of advantage will this give him? and he still needs the specs.

... just called... they dont have a flow bench. friggin A. Found another place that has one. Auto-performance... apparently Auto-performance is the best place in Fayetteville NC.

two weeks!! and all for nuthin. and whats worse! I gotta pay the first place. they've already polished all my stuff and taken out the casting inperfections.

geez.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
434 Posts
klouud said:
ok. lets say that he does have one. what kind of advantage will this give him? and he still needs the specs.

... just called... they dont have a flow bench. friggin A. Found another place that has one. Auto-performance... apparently Auto-performance is the best place in Fayetteville NC.

two weeks!! and all for nuthin. and whats worse! I gotta pay the first place. they've already polished all my stuff and taken out the casting inperfections.

geez.

way to be on top of things.


with a flow bench he doesnt need spec. he can flow test if before he touches it to get a baseline as to what the flow rates are then start removing material and test again and see if what he did gained and how much gain there was. An IM is fairly simple as it will flow almost as much air as you can pump through it when there is nothing on the other end. The idea is to do the head first and then match your intake to your head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Wow. I asked you 2 1/2 weeks ago in your other 'Top End Mods' thread if they had a flow bench. You should have checked then. Sorry you wasted your time! That sucks. On a side note, the Beta head has plenty of material to remove if you want to get crazy with a port job. But, still best left to professionals! (Not the shop you went to...) Keep us posted.

Dave, why don't you give him your info on where you got your head reworked at, and how much it was? I could dig up the old thread, but meh. :3_saai:
-BRR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah. I know you guys told me about the flow bench. My bad. I went in yesterday to talk to the mechanic. He showed me how much could be taken off on the intake... and WOW! there's alot of metal that could be shaved out. His concern was that if he took the head all the way out to gasket size the IM would have to match to keep airflow smooth. and if he did that the IM would be so thin that it might break.

We flipped it over and took a look at the exhaust. there wasnt much material to cut out so i told him to port the exhaust.

The rest is just polished and all the casting imperfetions were taken out. and the IM is heat painted gloss black.

So I'll be seein "SOME" gains but not what I could see. BTW I've gotta get my car back together... Its been garaged for 2 1/2 months now!! I guess I'll drive it untill Christmas as is... I've already got all the guages, apillar replacement, boost controller, reflashed unichip, and recirculating valve.

I'll prolly put in the guages one day... then finish up the rest on another. And get a REAL port job sometime in the future when I am willing to put in the time. But I'll probably go with the clutch/flywheel combo first.

Oh well. Thats life.
thanx for the help guys.

Oh BTW: My mother-in-law's house was set on fire by someone we know. If you could include her in your prayers we would appreciate it. thanx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
lol...if they'd ported your head, it would have been trash afterwards. there is some legitimacy to them not wanting to port it, as they wont know how far they can grind before they break into a water jacket, etc.

to get the most out of a first time porting, it would really help them to have 2 heads so they can tear one up trying out different stuff, and have one to turn out as a finished product.

it just so happens that I have head in my garage that would be an excellent head to practice on =P
$100 shipped
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,088 Posts
The majority of the gains are to be found from porting the exhaust ports. A decent gain will also be had from port matching the turbo manifold to the exhaust ports.
Hey Tim, I saw that I missed your call. I'm having phone problems right now, again, so as soon as my new phone arrives I'll give you a call.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,168 Posts
dmdicks said:
The majority of the gains are to be found from porting the exhaust ports. A decent gain will also be had from port matching the turbo manifold to the exhaust ports.
Hey Tim, I saw that I missed your call. I'm having phone problems right now, again, so as soon as my new phone arrives I'll give you a call.
ya, phone trouble's, suuuuuurrrreeee ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,088 Posts
Whacutalkinbout Willis? I did just get a new fancy phone/PDA. Its windoze based and crashed big time. (go figure). Just got the new one in today and I'm all goooood.

Tim here's my old flow specs. The first column is the measured valve lift. The 2nd and 3rd columns are the intake and exhaust CFM flow numbers. That's what a flow bench is for. Without one how can someone even know what kind of CFM gains they are making? You CANNOT just eyeball how much material to remove.

Stock flow numbers:
Lift Intake stock Exhaust stock
.050" 51.4 43.4
.100 91.7 80.1
.150 130.2 104.5
.200 163.6 129.0
.250 188.2 146.1
.300 204.3 155.6
.350 197.1 160.8
.400 196.0 164.5

Ported:
Lift Intake Exhaust
.050" 62.3 51.2
.100 103.9 84.2
150 142.9 109.6
.200 175.8 137.9
.250 203.3 158.2
. 300 222.1 172.5
. 350 223.7 183.1
.400 225.7 191.3
.450 228.7 196.5
.500 230.1 201.7
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
434 Posts
dmdicks said:
Whacutalkinbout Willis? I did just get a new fancy phone/PDA. Its windoze based and crashed big time. (go figure). Just got the new one in today and I'm all goooood.

Tim here's my old flow specs. The first column is the measured valve lift. The 2nd and 3rd columns are the intake and exhaust CFM flow numbers. That's what a flow bench is for. Without one how can someone even know what kind of CFM gains they are making? You CANNOT just eyeball how much material to remove.

Stock flow numbers:
Lift Intake stock Exhaust stock
.050" 51.4 43.4
.100 91.7 80.1
.150 130.2 104.5
.200 163.6 129.0
.250 188.2 146.1
.300 204.3 155.6
.350 197.1 160.8
.400 196.0 164.5

Ported:
Lift Intake Exhaust
.050" 62.3 51.2
.100 103.9 84.2
150 142.9 109.6
.200 175.8 137.9
.250 203.3 158.2
. 300 222.1 172.5
. 350 223.7 183.1
.400 225.7 191.3
.450 228.7 196.5
.500 230.1 201.7


GOOD flow numbers :3_nosthum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tharptroy said:
lol...if they'd ported your head, it would have been trash afterwards. there is some legitimacy to them not wanting to port it, as they wont know how far they can grind before they break into a water jacket, etc.

to get the most out of a first time porting, it would really help them to have 2 heads so they can tear one up trying out different stuff, and have one to turn out as a finished product.

it just so happens that I have head in my garage that would be an excellent head to practice on =P
$100 shipped

wow! how new is it? original cams? is it still stock? comes with IM? valves? all rest of stuff too :3_wink: ?

I dunno... I just put my old head back on... three more bolts to tighten and i can drive it! I really am not even thinkin about re-doin my had at the moment. however that is a really great price.

for now ill just worry about the boost controller and the likes. plus i need a clutch that can handle all of my new power and a fidanza flywheel to match! AAAAAAnd a short shifter... AAAAAnd a car pc. NOT TO MENTION --- I've got boo-coo parts layin around my house i still havent installed yet. lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
434 Posts
klouud said:
wow! how new is it? original cams? is it still stock? comes with IM? valves? all rest of stuff too :3_wink: ?

if that thing had cams and an intake manifodl with it you wouldnt have a chance to buy it. for 100$ its probably a bare head, maybe with valves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alrighty then. thanx for the offer. just trying to get the darn thing to work right now.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top