1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am making a dual ported sub box for 2 12" infinity subs
i have decided i am going to go with the circle port rather then the square
i just have a couple questions before i start tho,

should i just make one dual sub box or make two single sub boxes?
my port diameter has to be 4" wide and 12" long

does anyone have a DIY on this? i just want to make sure im doing it right

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
idk if this helps or not, but i have the same type of box you are describing..

and the way they did it (its a Kicker box) is they used a large heavy duty cardboard tube as the port.. it extends into the box right about to the middle of the box. there was also insulation stuff in there (thats how i bought it) surrounding the tube and also some filling up the rest of the space.. its a very good quality box, and it makes my subs hit HARD.. considering theyre just two 12" 150rms subs..

hope that helps man! and good luck with your box build! post up pics when your done!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Each woofer has to be ported individually, so there will be two seperate ports either way. Wether you build it so that they are together or seperate doesn't affect the sound. Aesthetically, I like a dual box.

When choosing ported vs. non-ported you should know that you will lose precision with a ported box. A ported box will hit harder though. I have a 13.5" w3v2 and 3 8" w3v2s all in non-ported boxes.

You should be able to go to the manufacturers website and download a PDF with a diagram for a ported box.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys i was just doing the layout of my sub boxc and i ran into a bit of a dilema

my boxs max dimentions are:

36 Width
18 Height
14 Debth

and since im doing a dual proted box, ihave to hvae two ports one on either side

the port has to be a min of 2" i think from any wall so i measured that and then i mesaured the area for my two subs and i can fit one in fine but hte 2nd sub overlaps the port. any ideas on what i should do?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Each woofer has to be ported individually, so there will be two seperate ports either way. Wether you build it so that they are together or seperate doesn't affect the sound. Aesthetically, I like a dual box.
well mine is set up where there is one port for one big chamber for the two subs...

Edit.. heres a pic for clarification.

this is the box that i got from kicker made to their specs and whatnot..

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
yes.. why is there a problem with that? because i have absolutely Zero issues with this set up.

Edit: here is a link to the setup i have.. a Dual 12" kicker comp box.

http://www.kicker.com/comp_subboxes

it doesnt go into detail about the port aspect of it, but it gives you a more visual idea if nothing else.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i just built a setup in my car its 4 10 inch subs invidual boxes mad into one big box all custom made. if u chamber the box ported it will crazy.
but make the ports on the same side as the subs are thats the bes way to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well first off, it would sound better with two chambers, each with their own port. Secondly, one of your speakers could break, and you would never know it's not working.

Speakers aren't designed to share the same air space. They need to hav a certain amount of air, and a second woofer in the same space will interfere with the sound. Ultimately, the quality of sound is going to be dramatically diminished if two woofers share the same air space.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
well they sound awesome as they are.. im sure Kicker took all of that into consideration when they designed it and all, but there is a small amount of stuffing that came with it from the factory.. not a lot, but im sure it plays a part in the sound quality aspect. i honestly dont think that the fact that my two subs are in the same space diminishez the sound quality one bit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i jjust cut all the legnths i needed for the box and holy Sh*t 3/4 MDF wood is heavy lol my box isgunna weight like 100 pounds lol

·
I
1,319 Posts
well they sound awesome as they are.. im sure Kicker took all of that into consideration when they designed it and all, but there is a small amount of stuffing that came with it from the factory.. not a lot, but im sure it plays a part in the sound quality aspect. i honestly dont think that the fact that my two subs are in the same space diminishez the sound quality one bit.
You're seriously showing your ignorance in mobile audio.I know 100% for a dead fact that woofers must have their own airspace. If this wasn't the case, why would manufactures provide recommended enclosure dimensions? Just because a company (effing Kicker at that) makes a product doesn't mean that did it correctly. Geo made automobiles, but we all know they suck. Just like your subs and enclosure if all of what you're saying is true. So here are some possibilities:

1) You're wrong about your box and there's a wall separating your woofers

2) Kicker has yet again made a product that sucks (this is very possible)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i jjust cut all the legnths i needed for the box and holy Sh*t 3/4 MDF wood is heavy lol my box isgunna weight like 100 pounds lol
i also have run into a dilema these are the dimensions of my box right now

Width- 46"
Height- 18"
Depth- 15 1/2``

this in my opion is a huge box and is gunna weight alot lol
any way i could decrease the size of the box? the only reson why the box is so big is becase of the two 4" ports lol

but any ideas guys?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
and when i check the box volume for those measurements it gives me the box volume as being 7.4271 and on my data sheet it says that each sub has to have a box volume of 2 so both have to have 4 as a box volume
so what do u guys suggest

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
well i know what i have and i know it sounds good.. i dont need someone to tell me it 'theoretically' sounds like crap. my ears tell me otherwise.

if all speakers are designed to run off of a specific airspace, then how do you explain free air applications? or how about isobaric setup?
im not as ignorant as you might think i am when it comes to audio.. i may not know everything... but admit it.. neither do you..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol no ones anwsering my question xD

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
would somethign like this work?
the picture is juist for one sub obv id do it for a dual sub xD

the port goes thru the top of the sub box

is it possible for the port tube to go in the side of the box? or is top the best?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts