Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am not very knowledgeable about them but i have read about them for rear wheel vehicles so that the two back wheels will spin at the same revolutions and i was wondering if they have them for front wheel drive vehicles. sometimes when i take off it is very hard to steer straight and i wondered if that was because i dont have or need to get a posi lock for the car. does anyone know?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Posi is good because it gives equil power to both wheels and keeps them spinning at the same speed. You will get off the line alot quicker then out stock limited dif. Down side it you also run the risk of breaking parts on your front end when you start to get into big power via the reason not alot of people here put ultra sticky tires on there cars.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Search "LSD" or Limited Slip Differential

·
Read Only
0 Posts
PANAXRX said:
Posi is good because it gives equil power to both wheels and keeps them spinning at the same speed. You will get off the line alot quicker then out stock limited dif. Down side it you also run the risk of breaking parts on your front end when you start to get into big power via the reason not alot of people here put ultra sticky tires on there cars.
First off, stock on our car is an open differential, not a limited diff.

Secondly, alot of people here have sticky tires on their cars with big power numbers. Don't know where you pulled that from.

Third, a lot of people actually install limited slip differentials units within the open diff to keep the tires spinning the same. Contrary to what you posted, this is actually better for your tranny/axles, because everything will be spinning at one uniform speed. The only people I have seen on here that have broken axles are with the stock open diff.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Malogus said:
First off, stock on our car is an open differential, not a limited diff.

Secondly, alot of people here have sticky tires on their cars with big power numbers. Don't know where you pulled that from.

Third, a lot of people actually install limited slip differentials units within the open diff to keep the tires spinning the same. Contrary to what you posted, this is actually better for your tranny/axles, because everything will be spinning at one uniform speed. The only people I have seen on here that have broken axles are with the stock open diff.
My mistake, I had ment to post Open not L/S dif. in my first post. As for the sticky tires. I dont see alot of people on here using street legal drags (IE "ultra sticky tires") Yes plenty of people on here use sticky tires but sticky and street legal drags are 2 different categories. I will agree with your 3rd post to an extent. I have seen multiple people blow axels while racing whom of which had LSD's or posi traction on there cars (of course they were pushing well over twice the HP aswell).

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
I run sticky Nittos 555r's, but not big power. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
PANAXRX said:
My mistake, I had ment to post Open not L/S dif. in my first post. As for the sticky tires. I dont see alot of people on here using street legal drags (IE "ultra sticky tires") Yes plenty of people on here use sticky tires but sticky and street legal drags are 2 different categories. I will agree with your 3rd post to an extent. I have seen multiple people blow axels while racing whom of which had LSD's or posi traction on there cars (of course they were pushing well over twice the HP aswell).
I would venture to guess there are alot more people than you think running drag radials at the track. Most people don't use them on the street just because that would get so expensive.

You say you have seen multiple people blow axles with LSDs or posi, but what kind of cars were those. I have been on these boards over 4 1/2 years, and the only blown axles I have seen come on tibs with open diffs. And that was back when 200-225 was the biggest numbers being thrown down. Now alot of these guys are running much bigger numbers, launching harder, and not breaking anything.

I was going to get an extra set of axles just in case I break one drag racing (I launch at 4500 on drag radials). But after doing some searching, it didn't seem like our axles are that weak.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I broke one axle because I was open diff , and like malogus I dont know where ya pulled that info about the LSD making the front end more vulnerable to axle damage and I do drive on BFG drag radials all the time. I've been through 3 sets in 2 yrs at 130 bucks a pop that's not that big of a deal, I've launched my car with a 250 shot outta the hole and it chattered like hell but it didnt break, so FYI the LSD is a definate must for both better steering under hard acceleration and for high horse applications.

·
Registered
225 Posts
faus03 said:
i am not very knowledgeable about them but i have read about them for rear wheel vehicles so that the two back wheels will spin at the same revolutions and i was wondering if they have them for front wheel drive vehicles. sometimes when i take off it is very hard to steer straight and i wondered if that was because i dont have or need to get a posi lock for the car. does anyone know?
Something similar to a "posi lock" for the tib would be a Phantomgrip it's like an LSD but it is more like ON or OFF "at part throtle it's open diff, at Full throtle it's locked diff"
the LSD is more progressive it can allow the wheels to spin at diffrent speeds like when you take a curve at part throtle but it's locked when you go full throtle I think it's caled a 1.5way LSD

and like Malogus said I woulnd worry too much about busting an axle it's one of the strongest part on the Tib

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
"Posi" is Chevrolets name for a limited slip differential (LSD). It's short for "Positive Traction". Pontiac called it Safe-T-Lock, Ford called it Traction-Lock. They are all LSD's. Please don't call it a "Posi" unless you are talking about a Chevy (or at least a GM product).

An LSD doesn't allow the "wheels will spin at the same revolutions". What it does is prevent one wheel from spinning at a much higher RPM than the other. And it only does this when one wheel has less traction than the other. If both wheels have enough traction to prevent spinning an LSD does nothing.

An LSD also does little to control torque steer. That comes have having unequal half-shafts. An LSD will help a little but not as much as you think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.