Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 08' Tiburon SE with 80k miles. Bought it a couple months ago, love the thing! Pretty sure nothing has ever been done under the hood except oil changes. Lately my lights have started to flicker/dim, as well as my dash lights. Radio turns off and off randomly while I'm driving, and the gauges seem to reset themselves for a second or too and then go back to normal. I'm thinking its a bad alternator? I haven't checked voltage yet, but I did the old trick of disconnecting negative cable from battery while car is running. The tibby didn't turn off...I turned on all the accessories and everything worked although the flickering continued. There's no year on the battery, so I'm not sure how old it is but I'd say it looks over 4+ years old. I have no warning lights on my dash. Well, lets get to this morning. I'm parked, waiting on someone, with radio and A/C on, as well as headlights, and the Tibby shut off. I started it back up no problem. Terminals to the battery are clean, haven't checked the alternator hook ups since they are a ***** to get to. Should I bite the bullet and just swap out the alternator? This is my daily, I drive 80+ miles a day and don't want to get stranded. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
8,848 Posts
Hi....good info up front....
Yes, battery disconnected, engine runs.....alternator is at least sorta working. A volt check (engine off, battery about 13.3vdc, engine running about 14.3vdc...).
Maybe alternator is failing, low loads it works, high loads it fails.....more info needed. Major electrical ground is typically US passengers side, upper intake to firewall.....flat tin coated braid....must be clean &a tight connection......
Cheap ($30 US) meter/DVM shows voltage ....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! I have yet to check out the voltage, Tibby still running good although headlights sim to dim out a bit more when I got the A/C running. I'll check the connections today, but I'm pretty sure its the alternator..might as well get a new battery since the one I got is old. I have another question, when do you recommend changing timing belt? I know it should be every 60k but I bought it from older lady who drove it easy, and I don't drive it hard at all, will it make it to 100k you think? Don't want to fork out a couple hundred bucks on top of getting alternator replaced...

·
Administrator
8,848 Posts
Rubber parts are miles AND time limited. 20 years but only 20K miles means it's timed out....cheaper than an engine rebuild...

Reactions: Tuscani1309
1 - 4 of 4 Posts