Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want my i4 to be 200hp is that possible? Which parts should I get so the engine wont get ruined? so far I got money for an ark exhaust system dual I was thinking of getting, and possibly a aem air intake
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are turbos easy to use and get? like i never understood a turbo talking about psi and winter that people dont drive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
903 Posts
Hey Tide – how goes, listen 200whp for the i-4 is not a problem but do yourself a favor you need to start reading on Turbo setups and whatnot.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, just to get acquainted with it.

Stuff like this;

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&endeca=1&isbn=0837601606&itm=8

But in the mean time – here’s a quick reference on Turbo and how it works

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

As for winter check it out you tell me :)

http://www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC/rocky/2006/releases.htm

http://www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC/rocky/2006/index.htm

Heck he beat my buddy Sylvain with his Evo


Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I've heard from numerous of my firends who have turbo'd there cars that they have problems. If you are turboing ur car, and it did not come like that stock, you are going to have problems, expecially if it is ur daily driver. Maybe not right away, but you most likely will. That is why I am heading away from boost kits and thinking about just doing an engine swap. No way 2 go wrong with that. Do it right with the right engine, and you can gain a sh*t load of HP. I have an I4 and that is also my goal. To build it up to 200hp by this summer. What will help you out is making a price/HP list. I did and it tells me how much HP each item will appx add, how much it is, an where I am going o get it from. Go by that chart and u'll b cool. And you'l also b able to keep track of how much money ur putting into your tib too. Best thing to o is make it up on Excel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Tuscani_chick said:
I've heard from numerous of my firends who have turbo'd there cars that they have problems. If you are turboing ur car, and it did not come like that stock, you are going to have problems, expecially if it is ur daily driver. Maybe not right away, but you most likely will. That is why I am heading away from boost kits and thinking about just doing an engine swap. No way 2 go wrong with that. Do it right with the right engine, and you can gain a sh*t load of HP. I have an I4 and that is also my goal. To build it up to 200hp by this summer. What will help you out is making a price/HP list. I did and it tells me how much HP each item will appx add, how much it is, an where I am going o get it from. Go by that chart and u'll b cool. And you'l also b able to keep track of how much money ur putting into your tib too. Best thing to o is make it up on Excel.
When you said problem................what problem?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your help turbo charge is a good easy way to go as well im thinking of doing Tuscani Chick way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
Tuscani_chick said:
I've heard from numerous of my firends who have turbo'd there cars that they have problems. If you are turboing ur car, and it did not come like that stock, you are going to have problems, expecially if it is ur daily driver. Maybe not right away, but you most likely will. That is why I am heading away from boost kits and thinking about just doing an engine swap. No way 2 go wrong with that. Do it right with the right engine, and you can gain a sh*t load of HP. I have an I4 and that is also my goal. To build it up to 200hp by this summer. What will help you out is making a price/HP list. I did and it tells me how much HP each item will appx add, how much it is, an where I am going o get it from. Go by that chart and u'll b cool. And you'l also b able to keep track of how much money ur putting into your tib too. Best thing to o is make it up on Excel.
As much as that's a good idea, unfortunatly mod's dont stack up like that.
An intake that will add 10 hp to a stock motor will not add 10 hp to a motor with an exhaust.
also, no one has ever done the 2.0L to 2.7L motor swap.....good luck.
one thing i can agree on is excel rules all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I wasn't talking about doing a swap from the 2.0 to the 2.7. Could have just bought the tib like that. I am doing another motor. Not releasing it til it is done, but I dun know what problems they said they had. I was seriously contemplating boosting my car and a they just said it is a pain in the a$$ because they are constantly doing maintainance stuff on it, trying to get everything to work together. And besides, its a nice cunk of money. Not just the turbo, but all the components, to make it as fast as you want it, safe to drive, and to keep the upgrades from hurting the car. Id rather not. And I am not saying that the mods r going to stacj up to 200 hp that easy. I ust told him to do it that way because it gives you a clear view of what you are going to do and a decent idea of what you are going to get out of your car. Everyone knows you don't get the whole 12hp from an intake without the whole system done. But it helps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
243 Posts
From what I've heard if you want 200hp+ on your I4 tib (which is what I'm going for too, mine is an 06) you're going to need a new exhaust (the ark kit your looking at is a good choice, I myself am ordering the N2 Dual), a new cold air intake (fujita makes a good one and its the one im getting, aem isnt bad either, and injen has one but ive heard some fitting issues) and of course a turbo or a nitrous kit. Alpine Developments makes a turbo kit for the I4 tib and the kit w/ intercooler sells for $3500, it lowers the compression ratio of your engine down to 8:1 and at a mild 12psi its dynoed at 226whp (meaning more than 226hp at the crank, also something im getting). Of course without changing any of the internals in your engine and getting forced induction on a car that wasnt built to have it in the first place you probably will have some problems later on down the road but as long as you keep your boost level low and replace your oil frequently, you shouldnt see any major melt-downs. There's always the nitrous route too but thats gaurenteed problems for your engine and should really only be used on an engine with forged pistons or at low levels and used rarely.

I'm going the ARK N2 Dual, Fujita CAI, and Alpine Stage 1 Turbo kit myself for power and calling it a day, it should be enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
Turbo is the easiest way to get there. And problems? You won't have any if you know what your doing. The biggest part is all in the tune. You have a good setup, but sh!tty tune, its all over. Also problems only occur with cutting corners. This goes for anything, swaps, N/A, F/I. You cut corner you pay for it. And besides the 4 banger was made for boost. It loves it. There are plenty running around without problems. I've said it before and I'll say it again Its all in the tune and how well you maintain your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
all thats involved in a reliable boosted motor is good tuning, and not to try pushing 28psi through stock internals. its very basic, hell, i seriousely have a riding lawn mower pushing 5 psi currently. u can boost anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Anything is possible if done correctly. If the time is taken and no corners are cut / no ghetto-rigging occurs, turbos can be put on and be held to probably as high of reliability as the stock engine is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Jds121 said:
From what I've heard if you want 200hp+ on your I4 tib (which is what I'm going for too, mine is an 06) you're going to need a new exhaust (the ark kit your looking at is a good choice, I myself am ordering the N2 Dual), a new cold air intake (fujita makes a good one and its the one im getting, aem isnt bad either, and injen has one but ive heard some fitting issues) and of course a turbo or a nitrous kit. Alpine Developments makes a turbo kit for the I4 tib and the kit w/ intercooler sells for $3500, it lowers the compression ratio of your engine down to 8:1 and at a mild 12psi its dynoed at 226whp (meaning more than 226hp at the crank, also something im getting). Of course without changing any of the internals in your engine and getting forced induction on a car that wasnt built to have it in the first place you probably will have some problems later on down the road but as long as you keep your boost level low and replace your oil frequently, you shouldnt see any major melt-downs. There's always the nitrous route too but thats gaurenteed problems for your engine and should really only be used on an engine with forged pistons or at low levels and used rarely.

I'm going the ARK N2 Dual, Fujita CAI, and Alpine Stage 1 Turbo kit myself for power and calling it a day, it should be enough.
Why do you still need a CAI when you are installing a Turbo kit? Plan through and gather as much info as possible, will save you tons of money and problems in the long run.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,168 Posts
I feel the need to jump out of window after reading all this BS....no one around here can take the time to read anything, heaven forbid they do a search, or at least get their stories straight before posting idiotic idea or opinions....."oh my friends told me they know a guy, who knows a guy, who slapped a turbo on his car and blew it!" OMG turbo's blow up your motor.....I have done no more maintenance on my turbo'd cars than I did on my NA cars, it's called regular maintenance and inspection. I am going to clean the blood out of my ears now from having to see this....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
243 Posts
Jsar, wait...I don't need a CAI if I get a turbo? How would a mechanism which deals with exhaust flow have anything to do with intake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Jds121 said:
Jsar, wait...I don't need a CAI if I get a turbo? How would a mechanism which deals with exhaust flow have anything to do with intake?
because your intake on a turbo setup is just a piping hooked up to the turbo, as it circulates exhaust gases to the turbo, piping to the intercooler, and finally the piping ends up at your intake manifold. (hense Forced induction..) im not great at explaining but just read up on your stuff before you feel the need to boost your car, know the dynamics behind the process, insted of thinking a turbo is just a one peice installation)

disclaimer: if any of this information is slightly confusing...im sorry
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
93 Posts
Tuscani_chick said:
I've heard from numerous of my firends who have turbo'd there cars that they have problems. If you are turboing ur car, and it did not come like that stock, you are going to have problems, expecially if it is ur daily driver. Maybe not right away, but you most likely will. That is why I am heading away from boost kits and thinking about just doing an engine swap. No way 2 go wrong with that. Do it right with the right engine, and you can gain a sh*t load of HP. I have an I4 and that is also my goal. To build it up to 200hp by this summer. What will help you out is making a price/HP list. I did and it tells me how much HP each item will appx add, how much it is, an where I am going o get it from. Go by that chart and u'll b cool. And you'l also b able to keep track of how much money ur putting into your tib too. Best thing to o is make it up on Excel.

so to uncomplicate things you are going to do a motor swap to get to 200hp? That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. there is a bolt on kit (already mentioned in this thread) that will cost you half as much and be half as complex and twice as reliable and maintinance free as doing whatever mystery swap you are talking about.

I have to ask is what exactly do you plan on using for engine management on the new motor? and after that how do you plan on running the OEM computer and sensors? but to begin with where are you getting the motor mounts fabricated at? where are you getting the custom half shafts done at?....etc
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top