Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says, I may be getting back into a Tiburon (previously owned an 03 base). I found an insanely clean 08 SE with a 6 speed manual and only 44k miles on the clock. However, I have never driven a manual car before.... I've watched countless YouTube videos on how to drive stick, and my friend has let me drive his manual truck around the parking lot, so I'm not completely clueless, but obviously far from fluent.

Now I am a college student, and my University is in a large city, so there's some interstate driving, but mostly stop and go traffic. Is it a pain in the buttcheeks to drive a manual in traffic? I don't drive a lot. But sometimes the traffic can get backed up on campus and around the city. What about maintenance? Will the clutch burn out faster in city traffic? The car has 44,000 miles, so obviously it needs a timing belt in 16,000 miles, but when do I replace the clutch? Any other tips and tricks for a first time manual driver??

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Manual is not a problem in traffic, once you get some experience. Obviously, auto is easier in heavy traffic. I have 56K of mostly city driving on my 07 SE 6spd and no clutch problems. You will like the 08 SE.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
When you are used to drive manual, traffic is not a problem.

As for the clutch, it will depend on how you drive. If you drive properly, the clutch should hold. have approx. 67k miles on mine, and no problem as of now.

Believe me, you will better like a manual transmission than an auto.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Auto is boring to me. I tend to pay less attention if I'm driving an auto. Manuals make the car feel alive to me. I feel better driving a manual and enjoy it far more. That being said, I learned how to drive with an old chevy stick shift. (when the sticks were like 2ft long...)

Compared to that, the Tib is a breeze. It should only take a few hours to get the hang of it for normal driving. Rainy weather and heavy traffic are a bit more difficult, as are steep inclines since it requires a more delicate touch. You should be fine though. Just spend some time practicing on back roads, some on highway during non rush hours. Try not to think about what you're doing so much when you drive, and just let your hands/feet do the work. It won't take long before it becomes second nature to you. Your hands/feet will move flawlessly in no time. If you're not used to using your feet very often then heavy traffic may get tiresome for you at times, but that should fade as you become used to it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I have always wanted a manual car. I always hear people saying manuals are more fun, and I've always wanted to feel how it is to truly drive a car. The SE I'm looking at is super clean. Only some minor wear on the corner of the seats and slight headlight oxidation. Other than that it looks perfect.

Called the dealership today. Should hear back from them next week to see if they can bring the car closer to where I live so I can test drive it.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
I was worried a bit about the clutch too before but mine's still good at 105,000 miles (knock on wood). Original factory clutch, 10 years old now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts