Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to hyundai and tiburons and am looking for some general information on them. My Girlfriend really wants one, and is looking at 2003-2005 w/ 50k+ miles. Basically shes trying to keep them in the $7500 range. What issues are common, things to check, etc before picking one up.

I.E. i see that the timing belts are done between 60-75k miles. Are they easy to do? or should I have a shop do them? My toyota requires dropping the engine out to do the TB, hence why I ask

She liked the interior of an 06 GT, but that was out of her price range, She wont have any preference between 4 or 6 cylinder. The 4 would probably be better for gas mileage, and she is more about comfort, MPG, looks, than speed.

Personally, I have always been a fan of their looks, but actually sat inside one {2006 GT} last night and I was quite impressed with the interior. The G/F loved it... I have owned a 2006 WRX with a full exhaust, tune, and mild suspension mods, and currently own a 2008 wrx hatch/wagon... I also own a 92 MR2-turbo as a project car for me to learn on..

Thanks! and hopefully we can find her a good one in her price range!

·
Registered
560 Posts
They are nice cars but if your looking for something around 7,000 I would suggest maybe a civic or something along those lines. Also not sure if it was just the 02 model but I hear a lot of problems happened with the clutch and so forth. Look around and see whatever you suits you and ask us than!!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi,in 2003 the standards have clutch issues, may have been related to the little spring, flow restrictor in the clutch master cyl...easy to remove..it slows down shifting/engaging of the clutch for a "smoother" shift. There is a DIY mod for this.

I have a 2003 GT, gotta get the V6...very good on gas compared to others out there in our class. They are not powerful machines...but capable cruisers, and look good doin' it.

Mods are easy to do...Intake/Header/ehaust...etc

If u are handy and mech inclined, timing belt looks easy enough, there is a DIY on here as well...use the search feature. Taking it to a dealer is prolly not a bad idea. But is is somewhere just under a grand at a dealer, or a couple hundred DIY.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
the early 03 clutch issue has nothing to do with the slave cylinder. any car made after spring 03 will be fine as long as you know how to drive stick.

if she wants a good looking car and isnt concerned about power look for an 05+ 4 cyl with some commuter miles on it. a lot of the cosmetic upgrades from year to year can be swapped around as well, so if you find say an 03-04 with the all black interior, dont discount it because there are lots of bright bits and billet pieces you can dress it up with.

someone correct me, but i dont think the 4-cyl is avail. w/leather seats, so... to get the more luxury items sometimes you have to buy the V6.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.. I tried teaching her stick and its just not sinking in too well... Both my wrx and mr2 are stick, and I wanted to have her drive one until snow fall to save up some extra money for a nicer tibby, but its definitely going to be an auto... as for mods, I probably wont do much to it for now.. maybe some interior stuff,

It would be pretty sweet to get a 4cyl with all the nice insides, stereo and such...leather seats arent a deal breaker for her.

What kind of gas mileage do you guys typically see on the v6 not driving aggressively

·
Registered
560 Posts
I get about 18-20 MPG...depending on how I am driving <as in late to work and need to go fast on I-75> I fill up every 5-6 days and its a little over 30 bucks to fill up...if your looking for good GM you should look into a celica..my girlfriend has like an 02 or something and she gets like 31-32...she drives stick <don't know if that makes much of a difference>

Edit: Forgot to mention I drive an 07 gt V6

·
Registered
792 Posts
iv got an 03 gt and i fill it from a 1/4 every like 3 days with $20ish

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have an '03 V6 Auto - I LOVE it. I get around 21MPG or so but most of it is freeway driving ~75MPH. At 4500ft Elevation with my AC cranked up - i think that's pretty good :) I have the GT Limited as well - I love the stock sub, and speakers - although it rattles quite a bit, but nothing Dynamat won't fix. I personally would go for the 04-05 as I love their head lights and tail lights, and a few other reasons. :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
i have a 03 manual, and just checked gas mileage today cost a lil over $33 to fill when light comes on, got 24mpg driving fairly non aggressive. and i havent had any clutch issues that many see with the 03's (knock on wood)

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Common Problems for the 03

1.) Body Control Module like to go out around 75k 100k if it does happen. Somewhat rare but common. up $1k to fix.

2.) Window Motors like to give out easily in later miles too. Mild flaw in design around $300 to fix

3.) AC Likes to go out. often times its the compressor. anywhere from $100 to $900 to fix

4.) I think this is common in most cars but the MAF sensor is very sensitve. Any little dust can really rough up your ride. easy to fix tho. $10 for a can of MAF cleaner from any kind of auto store and should fix it right up.

These are a few problems that ive noticed mostly for the 03. I'd say go with an 04 with some miles on it. Should reach that price range depending on your area.

Very fun and exciting rides. But suspension can be a bit rough. Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Knock $5k off and I'll buy it! $2500 off if you include the girl in pink.... Shes my style..

Im actually quite surprised in those saying they get 18-23mpg; I would have thought better. I average 22 in my WRX and that's 85% highway. How does the 4 cylinder do?

I suggested a celica to her, and she likes the car, but her brother is 6'10 so he may have some issues fitting in the passenger seat. Also there are a lot of tiburons around, and that's what she likes. I wont complain too much.. Even if she doesn't get one now, she probably will in a year or so once she saves up some more money.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Auto is more fuel efficient them manual (for v6).... 24-25 mpg is what you should expect from auto V6 mix of city and highway driving. Manual is 23-24, but it is hard to drive it normal, at least for me... the reason for 18mpg is driving habits.

05 has better styling compared to 03-04, but will be difficult to find one in your price range unless it is 4cyl. Although she dont mind 4i you would probably hate to drive 4i auto.

Timing belt is something you can do your self if you work on cars your self .... do not have to drop the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the short spoiler use the same bolts as the tall one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bump up..

She found one she is considering. Its a 2005 GS, auto, with 86k miles... The car drives great but the HVAC fan makes a squeel you can hear on low speeds.

Her only concern is 86k miles. How many miles do tiburons typically go until things start needing replacing? 100? 150? 200k?
At how many miles should the timing belt be done?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bump up..

She found one she is considering. Its a 2005 GS, auto, with 86k miles... The car drives great but the HVAC fan makes a squeel you can hear on low speeds.

Her only concern is 86k miles. How many miles do tiburons typically go until things start needing replacing? 100? 150? 200k?
At how many miles should the timing belt be done?
The timing belt interval is recommended at 60K. Common failure items include seat belt buckles (airbag lights), maf and crank sensor failures, wheel bearing and bcms are also fairly common. Clutches are prone to premature wear, but you mention she's found an auto so figure servicing the trans at 30k intervals with correct fluid and input/turbine speed and output speed sensors are also not unheard of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The timing belt interval is recommended at 60K. Common failure items include seat belt buckles (airbag lights), maf and crank sensor failures, wheel bearing and bcms are also fairly common. Clutches are prone to premature wear, but you mention she's found an auto so figure servicing the trans at 30k intervals with correct fluid and input/turbine speed and output speed sensors are also not unheard of.
geez.. thats reassuring :3_confuse She also found an 07 GS with 35k miles for $11k, but I think that is going to end up out of her price range.

·
Banned
324 Posts
I have a i4 and i drive like an idiot (only when its dry, and sunny) and I get 23-24 mpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts