Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had experience with this. I searched the forums but did not find what I was looking for. The power steering hose that runs very close to the belt (once a supercharger is installed) was absolutely destroyed by my belt. Does anyone know if I am stuck replacing it with a factory part or can I build something out of hosel, barbs, t's and fittings I find at Pep boys ? Is there any sensor installed inside? I have heard the term pressure hose being used to describe this part to I want to be sure I don't miss something important.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
on some of the superchargers you have to bend the power steering line fitting up and away from the belt, or else it will rub and take out the hose as you have seen. If **** rubs or is really close to rubbing, then you have to fix it!

I have only seen people use stock replacements personally, so who knows.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had experience with this. I searched the forums but did not find what I was looking for. The power steering hose that runs very close to the belt (once a supercharger is installed) was absolutely destroyed by my belt. Does anyone know if I am stuck replacing it with a factory part or can I build something out of hosel, barbs, t's and fittings I find at Pep boys ? Is there any sensor installed inside? I have heard the term pressure hose being used to describe this part to I want to be sure I don't miss something important.
Sorry to hear that man :(. The same thing almost happened to me, I caught it in the last minute though and managed to zip-tie that sucker out of the way....I still check on it regularly to see if it stays out of the way.

I think you have to replace it with a factory part, I'm hoping someone else can prove me wrong. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
on some of the superchargers you have to bend the power steering line fitting up and away from the belt, or else it will rub and take out the hose as you have seen. If **** rubs or is really close to rubbing, then you have to fix it!
It can still rub even if you bend the lines out of the way, my hose almost got cut by the belt behind the engine, between the AC-compressor pulley and the S/C pulley if that makes it clear....hope you understand. I think the same thing has happened to nyne, perhaps a pic of where it rubbed for me might help.... no manual mentions this potential problem either....

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How the hell do you remove it? it's really on there!! the stock part is something like $200 btw.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also, is there a way to patch it? just cut it and install a couple of barbs and a replacement segment of hose etc?

·
Rool : Pron Spammer
4,097 Posts
How the hell do you remove it? it's really on there!! the stock part is something like $200 btw.
PM LowSonoma and get pricing info.

·
pass dat....
4,358 Posts
IDK how you guys can install a supercharger and not check to make sure the belt isn't rubbing on anything. Anyways, you can most certainly buy some stainless lines and replace them, you just need to get all the proper fittings to do it. IMO it is a bit overkill to spend the money on the stainless lines, I would look into getting or making stock replacements.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IDK how you guys can install a supercharger and not check to make sure the belt isn't rubbing on anything. .
For me the reason was simple - it didn't rub after the install....the hose moved around during my first test drive. Some things you don't notice when the car is just sitting outside the garage at idle. Nothing rubbed and everything looked fine. I did a check after my first short test drive and found that it had moved and was rubbing then moved it out of the way. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don't have constructive advice please don't post at all. I used zip ties and did relocate the hose. It moved after the install.

Thanks for your informative advice though, really useful. (not so much) The car was actually running fine for the first 3 days and on the 4th i noticed the belt cut into the hose. It was a matter of minutes before I realized it had happened.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If it was me, I would go with the stock replacement hose. If memory serves, there's a pretty good amount or pressure inside that hose ( of the 2 hoses 1 is the high pressure side and the other is low pressure. hose barbs and clamps might not hold up) thats why the big thick hose and fittings. Do what you like, but keep that in mind. Good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
IDK how you guys can install a supercharger and not check to make sure the belt isn't rubbing on anything. Anyways, you can most certainly buy some stainless lines and replace them, you just need to get all the proper fittings to do it. IMO it is a bit overkill to spend the money on the stainless lines, I would look into getting or making stock replacements.
agreed on that. its even in the sniper install video. I guess some ppl get to confident with them selves and the small things...

·
pass dat....
4,358 Posts
Let me spoon feed you so you don't get upset, go to www.amazonhose.com and get the proper hose you need to replace yours. It will be much cheaper than buying a stock one from the dealership. They will have everything you need there and are very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I asked for help and you only offered sarcasm. The topic hadn't been previously covered to any real extent. We have companies locally that deal with hydraulic hoses, fittings etc. I guess you feel a need to talk down to people. How's that working for you?

I watched the "sniper install video" and did ziptie the power steering hose but it still drifted towards the belt as mentioned above.

I guess your join date and post count probably gives you some sort of ego compared to someone with 50 posts. I've been in the "scene" since 2000 and have owned 7 hyundais to date. I see you are a forum moderator --I was an admin @ hyundai performance before this site existed (or the GK for that matter). I appreciate the fact that you took the time to post but perhaps you could ditch the ego and offer help rather than turning your nose up on the first opportunity that arises. It isn't becoming.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Yah, I remember you have to pry the hose up a tad with the alpine kit. I remember reading that in the instructions, but I did that before I read that cuz the belt was in the way.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I asked for help and you only offered sarcasm. The topic hadn't been previously covered to any real extent. We have companies locally that deal with hydraulic hoses, fittings etc. I guess you feel a need to talk down to people. How's that working for you?

I watched the "sniper install video" and did ziptie the power steering hose but it still drifted towards the belt as mentioned above.

I guess your join date and post count probably gives you some sort of ego compared to someone with 50 posts. I've been in the "scene" since 2000 and have owned 7 hyundais to date. I see you are a forum moderator --I was an admin @ hyundai performance before this site existed (or the GK for that matter). I appreciate the fact that you took the time to post but perhaps you could ditch the ego and offer help rather than turning your nose up on the first opportunity that arises. It isn't becoming.
+1, good answer. It is sooo easy to be clever in hindsight, being a smart-a**. Not really helpful but somewhat entertaining except for the person asking for help I guess. Weird attitude from some people, it's like kicking on someone who is down already. Anyways, I feel for you man - sh*t happens and has nothing to do with your post count, join date or status in a forum. ;)

As far as the video goes, sure it does mention "tweaking the lines" by bending them out of the way, but nothing else. The Alpine manual does however mention it - good thing I asked for the manual before I did mine since the NGM video misses some very important steps for us Alpine people.

14. The power steering hoses need to be modified for belt clearance. Lift, move or pry
the top hose up and toward the engine until the top hose is above the timing belt cover
and the centerline is 2 inches above the `V' of the notch in the timing cover (Fig. 9).
This hose should be secured alongside the wiring harness to the bracket on the valve
cover. Check for any possible interference and secure hose away from belt with zip ties.

The bottom pipe should be lifted until it touches the top pipe (Fig.10). Use a round
bar to pry with so as not to damage the pipes.
Like nyne said, even if you zip-tie it could still (evidently) move - I check mine on a regular basis.....but everyone else seem to be fine so I guess we did it wrong :p ;).

Anyways, to the OP - hope it works out for ya! :)

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
If you did not bend the hard line coming out of the PS pump then zip ties alone will not do the trick as you learned. Chances are you cut your high pressure line from the PS to the steering rack and there is no way you can just 'gerry-rig' a schlep boys fix.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Wow, you guys need to lighten up a little. There is a benefit to the constructive criticism, and that is that you need to be proactive with stuff like that. I mean, you wouldn't rest a wire on a header or reeeeeally close just because the instructions didn't mention it would you? I know what you are getting at and I know you guys are frustrated when stuff like this happens, but it is stuff like this that reiterates the fact that you just need to take your time, and double check hoses and wires that could potentially move or hit stuff they shouldn't.

On a related note, right now might be a good idea to check other wires etc that could be an issue down the road, and zip tie those things out of the way too. I personally zip tied my ps hose to the blower support bracket going to the rear head, and also tied the o2 sensor wires out of the way of the headers just in case, so might want to check those too while you are at it.

And yes, lowsonoma1999 is a great guy and can essentially get you the hyundai part as cheap as you are going to find it as he works at a dealership.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.