-NIA Side Splitters
-NIA Eyelids
-ARK Shorty Antenna
-SFR Horn Upgrade
-Viper Armed!

Interior
-Ralco R2 Short Throw Shifter
-TWM Shifter Base Bushings
-DD Stage 2 LED Kit White (License Plate/Door/Dome/Trunk/Glove Box Lights)
-F/L2 Gunmetal Window Switches w/ Blue LEDs
-Acrylic Conceptions Personalized Ignition Bezel
-Kenwood CD/HD radio reciever

Introduction

Hey party people, welcome to my thread! My name is Anthony and I'm from San Bernardino, in sunny southern California. I've been an NT member for a long time now, but have only recently been active in the forums, as well as modifying. This thread will be my progress report of the modifications I have planned for my awesome car in the coming months. Hope you enjoy!

Back story:
A long time ago, in a galaxy a few miles away, I had a '99 Honda Civic. I really enjoyed how clean I had my green little 2-door.. and unfortunately so did everyone else. Which would explain why people kept breaking into it. Well, after the third break-in (along with several other attempts), and many months of sleep deprivation, I realized it was time to part ways. After much research I chose the incredibly underrated Hyundai Tiburon for the price, quality, warranty, and overall style and feel. It was perfect! I don't really care for the color orange at all, but for some reason the Orange Crush paint just sang to me on that crisp October morn. It's been many years since I drove her off the lot, but still I really love my car!

Me: "Hey Grandma, how do you like my new car?!?"
Grandma: "Ooooh it's purdy. But papi, it looks better than your old car. Aren't people going to break into this one too??"
Me: "uuuhhh no Grandma. Different H, they don't want this kind."

I've had a few problems here and there, including the headlights fogging (warranty replaced), sunroof switch (warranty repaired, however still problematic but now out of warranty), hood lift shocks (warranty replaced), and factory Kenwood CD player inop (out of warranty !!! ).
Well after many years of hard work, she's all mine. So now I could finally show Crush a little tlc.

Let's get it on!!

(02/12) My first and most IMPORTANT mod:

Thanks to Edwin and the crew over at ARK Performance!
*you'll notice the notorious paint flaking on the fuel door in that pic

Seriously tho, first things first; take care of the engine that's been taking care of me. I picked up a
new KDM timing belt kit from ebay for a little over $300 which includes everything (all belts, pulleys, water pump, etc.) AND got to my doorstep in 6 days! (the dealer could bite me!)

With the engine happy, I decided to upgrade something that has been annoying me for years; the horn. I was tired of my car sounding like a little girl's pretty princess bicycle so I replaced it with the KDM upgrade from SFR. It's a plug/play and a pretty simple install, but my front plastic cover has to be permanently removed due to the bulky design of the new horns. But, now I'm no longer ashamed to honk at old people driving and kids crossing the street :)

Next up, new Viper security system and radio. Music is my life, so of course, my factory Kenwood CD player became inop the very next month after it's warranty was up. Ironic, dontcha think? Surviving those torturous years of driving with only the pop radio stations to keep me company has made me stronger, no doubt. But FINALLY! A new HD radio (which is a little useless with the shorty antenna, but oh well, I got iPod compatibility!!)

After previous months of researching sizes, offsets and styles I found the wheels that I wanted, and finally had an opportunity to get them! The Tenzo Type-M Ver.2. They're so pretty!

The only problem was that the C/F wheel caps would pop off when the wheel was mounted onto the hub. They even sent me different style (uglier) deeper caps that didn't work either. After doing more research I decided the best thing to do was to put a little bit of silicone on the tabs of the c/f caps and beat them into place with a mallet. Problem solved. lol

(03/12) Now it was time to drop it like it's hot.. well ok, like it's warm. I decided to go with a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs because I like the balance between comfort, handling, and style. (Thanks to fellow NT member Supersung8 for the great deal!)

Along with the springs, I replaced the shocks with the KYBs, as well as the brake pads all around while I was at it.

Before:

After:

Niiiice!!

Fuel door paint. That's all I can stanz, and I can't stanz no more! Time to do something about it! [I'm a little sketchy on the rules of non-sponsor shout outs, so if you want to know about the paint I used feel free to PM me.]

First time painting. Ever. So what could go wrong???

I think it could be better, I mean it doesn't look great if you really look at it, but overall I think not bad. I'm quite proud of myself. The color matched perfectly. The hardest part was taking off and then after, re-installing the door assembly. It was a wiley one with it's different bolts attached to different pieces of the car, but I got 'er!

*I just like my wheels in this shot lol!

Debadged... kinda:

Well, that's it for now.

Thanks again for sticking around. Hopefully you found any sort of this thread useful, as I have with many other NT members. And if you have any questions or would like to know any specific info on the parts and places I picked them up at, I'm always happy to share.

·
Administrator
5,302 Posts
Very pretty Tibby and a fun-to-read and enjoyable timeline~!! :)

It was nice meeting you today at the Concept III KDM meet and hope to see you again at future meets.

Such a rare Tiburon color, keep her alive and well~! :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very pretty Tibby and a fun-to-read and enjoyable timeline~!! :)

It was nice meeting you today at the Concept III KDM meet and hope to see you again at future meets.

Such a rare Tiburon color, keep her alive and well~! :)
Yeah it was a pleasure! I'll definitely be meeting up again soon. And thanks, I'm glad you liked :3_nosthum

Really like the wheels nice job
Thanks alot!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You need to add some coats of clear to the fuel door, that's why it looks so different then the rest of the car.

I have the same color car and my fuel door assembly is messed up looking too. I'm going to plasti-dip it though once this cold *** rain stops.

And yeah, the horn really sucks. Sometimes when I set the alarm it gives out this pathetic muted yelp like I just stepped on a baby chihuahua.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
very nice looking tib..ive always been found for the color orange crush....oh do you have any videos of the kdm horn upgrade just curious to hear the differance in sound...;)
Thanks! No I don't, but I was considering making one soon. It's not too dramatic a change, but it sounds more like a Camry rather than a "baby chihuahua" lol

You need to add some coats of clear to the fuel door, that's why it looks so different then the rest of the car.

I have the same color car and my fuel door assembly is messed up looking too. I'm going to plasti-dip it though once this cold *** rain stops.

And yeah, the horn really sucks. Sometimes when I set the alarm it gives out this pathetic muted yelp like I just stepped on a baby chihuahua.
^^^ FREAKIN' HILARIOUS!! Seriously right!! A couple ex's used to literally laugh out loud everytime I set the alarm! It was very emasculating coming from ladies who drove Yaris hatchbacks and Civics!

As for the fuel door, I hit it with two coats of clearcoat but I was thinking I would give it a couple more passes. Hopefully that shines it up a bit.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice job so far! Very clean and tasteful so far, keep it up!
Hey thanks alot postmaster! :3_pimatyo I like what many of my fellow NT'ers have done to their Tibs, but I'm more of the keep it clean style.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice!! Car's looking fantastic, I like where it's going!

Also, I'm gonna guess you painted the gas cap Dupli-color metal specks orange :p am I right? lol
Thanks! Gotta stay focused!

lol! Close but no cig. It is a color code match tho.

Ah, maybe should try wet sanding with some fine sandpaper first then.
Actually, I did the whole process step by step. But I think what happened was:
1. Due to time constraints and diminishing sunlight, I rushed the entire process even tho it was my first time.
2. I'm an *** who was stupid enough to rush a painting process
But most importantly,
3. [refer to #2]

But, I'm planning on re-doing it when the weather stops having a tantrum.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Now its time to get some performance work done.. just ordered the Borla exhaust!

Uh oh.. i think I'm developing an addiction..
Its the mod bug once you have it the real modding begins lol

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ooh Borla is my favourite! make sure you post a video of it after install :p
Lol is it weird that I was thinking the same thing? Lol

Its the mod bug once you have it the real modding begins lol
Nah it's ok, I'm ok, I don't need help. I'm cool, I can quit anytime. I just mod to have a good time, that's all.

Lol! My bank account is gonna hate me!

1 - 20 of 294 Posts