Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 GT with CAI, DC headers ( test pipe, no cats ) and borla exhuast first of all. Second - I was getting a CEL from O2 sensors (as determined by Advance Auto Parts OBD-II scan) so I attempted to install the modified spark plug non-foulers to pull the rear sensors out of the direct exhaust stream. The O2 sensors were threaded wrong and stripped all the way out. I had to cut the rear second sensor from the harness (because I was being hasty and didnt know where to unplug it - which i know now) to get the Y pipe off - and then use some major force to get the sensor out. I had to then re-tap the 18mm bungs on the Y-pipe - and then install the non-foulers. I then capped the non foulers with an 18mm bolt for the time being because I knew I would have to replace the O2 sensors since they were stripped to hell. Anyway - after about 50 miles of driving with the rear first sensor zip tied in the engine bay and the second rear sensor cut from the harness and the my car stalls and will not start at all. So after some work I resolder the cut wires and install the sensor - car still wont start. Even after clearning the ECU by removing the neg. battery cable the car wont start. I get full electrical, engine turns over, I get the "put-put-put" out of the exhuast as it tries to start, but I am not sure if my engine is flooded, or more logically the computer has cut fuel to the engine since the O2 sensor was hacked off.

I know Hyundai will tell me to take a long walk off a short plank as far as warranty goes once they see the mods, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen this before, or knows any potential fixes for this.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
First things first!!! did you check all your fuses? if yes then proceed below

one, you cant flood your engine with fuel injection... (reason being is theinjectors only ground out when they see the camshaft position sensor signal) two, is the zip tie mod only works for the 03 model tiburon, three, you need to plug all your 02 sensors back in. four, check all your fuses(lol, just kidding) five, take a look at your crank and cam sensors, those are the ones that determine whether you get spark and fuel. the crank sensor I think is behind your front header? or is it in the timing cover? Im not sure but its in one of those two places. the cam sensor is on the valve covers. When I installed my headers(and engine) my crank sensor was fried and did exactly the same thing your car is doing now. check that and see if its fried or not. mine was literally melted.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
it's your fuse, had the same problem,

the wires you cut probably touched something and blew the fuse, you should have unplugged it from the harness not left it hanging,

I cant remember what exactly the fuse was but it was something related to the O2 sensors and was a red 10 amp fuse, i'm pretty sure it was in your engine bay fuse box

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to check that out this afternoon becuase Hyundai REAAAALLY wants that car in their shop and my debit card passing through their registers.
I'll let you know how it goes.

*EDIT* The fuse in the relay box - oxygen sensors and ignition I believe, was the faulty fuse. Swapped it out, car runs nicely like before. Thanks again.

·
Registered
430 Posts
blyons said:
Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to check that out this afternoon becuase Hyundai REAAAALLY wants that car in their shop and my debit card passing through their registers.
I'll let you know how it goes.

*EDIT* The fuse in the relay box - oxygen sensors and ignition I believe, was the faulty fuse. Swapped it out, car runs nicely like before. Thanks again.
Same thing happened to me, but I didn't find out until after a $100 tow ride. So sad seeing the tib on a tow truck. At least the guy knocked off 60 bucks because I'm a Marine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
fuse....... just like he said. 10A fuse in the engine bay labeled SNSR or something like that. It is connected to ummm. i dunno everything else...lol

I cut into the camshaft sensor while installing my headers and it took me two days to find the short. replace the fuse and check that o2 sensor you cut and she should fire right up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts