Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

361 - 372 of 372 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #361 (Edited)
I've installed the LED bulbs for my low beams and fog lamps (links to the bulbs are in the first post). I'm happy with them. It's nice to get rid of the extra fiddly bits that the HIDs required. The fog lamps are aimed low, to avoid blinding oncoming drivers, but they really do help illuminate the road ahead, even though the camera on my phone doesn't show much difference.

LED low beams...

LED low beams + fog lamps...

LED low beams...

LED low beams...

·
Registered
272 Posts
It would be nice to get rid of the extra wires and ballasts that are required for the low beam HIDs. Did you have diode dynamics HID kit? Mine required me to drill a hole into the dust caps on the back of the headlights to fit the larger HID components. Did your new LEDs work with the larger hole or did you have to get new dust caps?

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
It would be nice to get rid of the extra wires and ballasts that are required for the low beam HIDs. Did you have diode dynamics HID kit? Mine required me to drill a hole into the dust caps on the back of the headlights to fit the larger HID components. Did your new LEDs work with the larger hole or did you have to get new dust caps?
The new LEDs have huge heat sinks, so I don't have dust caps anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Well what do you know. Looks like I am going to get a supercharger after all. Now I get to do some research and decide just how crazy I want to get with it. Just bolt it on and go, or try to squeeze a few more horsepower out of it? I don't want to replace the cam or anything like that, so there are limits to what I want to do.

This should be a fun spring project. I am willing to do it myself if I don't have to take off the damned headers.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #367 (Edited)
I'm putting on the stainless steel brake lines today. I want to do the supercharger work in the garage, so it will be a week or two before I can get the car in there. (It will be nice to be able to park in my garage again.) However...

I am debating whether to follow through with the supercharger. The radiator for the intercooler arrived yesterday, which means I have everything other than coolant hoses and maybe some brackets. But I am feeling some trepidation... I really don't want to risk damaging my car. For every four people saying "It's just stage 1, it's super safe!" there is one person saying "It will kill your car sooner rather than later, and require constant maintenance and $$$$$$."

I've spent around $2300 so far, including the supercharger, intercooler parts, shipping, and whatnot. I won't get that back if I sell it (not even close). But if I wind up damaging my car, costing me however many hours and thousands of dollars in repairs, I will not be winning any popularity contests here at Castle Blackmoor. So maybe selling it all at a loss would be the path of least pain.

sigh

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Heard a scraping sound from my left rear wheel. Took it to the shop, and found that the caliper had seized up. So now I need the calipers, pads, and rotors for the rear wheels (they need to be replaced in pairs or else you'll have no end of problems). $850. On the bright side, they aren't going to charge me extra to paint the calipers silver. :)

361 - 372 of 372 Posts