Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never post anymore but this is a true dilema that I am in and I have no idea where to go next.

This is blatent proof to me that there is a law of the universe that if you modify it, it will break, and it won't be easy to fix.... especially if you are a horrible person and carma owes you a couple.

Anyway, I've been running into the problem that my stock head unit has not been working when I start the car and it randomly decides to come on. Once it turned on though it was good as gold. I made a mild observation that it worked better with the air on and in colder temps so I figured it was just old, broken, ect.

I had a old head unit my friend gave me that is still decent so I figured I'll swap them and end of story. I was playing last night just to see if I could wire it myself (car domain sent me the wrong frigging wireing harness) and I just got the power, the ground and the ilumination hooked up... all is good. Fast foward to today, I start messing around with it in the afternoon and keep wireing and then when I'm done... the damn thing won't work. I figure I wired it wrong so I slowly start taking the wires off till I get to the original ground, power and illumination.... still not working. Then it hits me that it was about 50 when I was working last night and now it's about 70.

I can only conclude that the problem is deeper in the wireing or something.... I just don't know where. Any advice from the audio gurus?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Damn Kyle, I thought the earth was flat (I know Florida is) and you fell off. Karma can bite your @ss. I know if a circuit goes bad it can quit when hot, especially near a heatsink, and most of the "modern" HU's are fan cooled if they have an internal amp. DOes the little bastage feel hot anywhere when juiced?

·
Registered
673 Posts
i know it may sound strange...but change the fuses. ALL OF THEM

there is such a thing as a weak fuse and nore may cause issus for another. so take the time and change your fuses.

if that does not help, get an multimeter and see if you are getting power to each of your locations - main power
- acc power

than check that to your ground. Make sure you have a complete circuit to each of those.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I never post anymore but this is a true dilema that I am in and I have no idea where to go next.

This is blatent proof to me that there is a law of the universe that if you modify it, it will break, and it won't be easy to fix.... especially if you are a horrible person and carma owes you a couple.

Anyway, I've been running into the problem that my stock head unit has not been working when I start the car and it randomly decides to come on. Once it turned on though it was good as gold. I made a mild observation that it worked better with the air on and in colder temps so I figured it was just old, broken, ect.

I had a old head unit my friend gave me that is still decent so I figured I'll swap them and end of story. I was playing last night just to see if I could wire it myself (car domain sent me the wrong frigging wireing harness) and I just got the power, the ground and the ilumination hooked up... all is good. Fast foward to today, I start messing around with it in the afternoon and keep wireing and then when I'm done... the damn thing won't work. I figure I wired it wrong so I slowly start taking the wires off till I get to the original ground, power and illumination.... still not working. Then it hits me that it was about 50 when I was working last night and now it's about 70.

I can only conclude that the problem is deeper in the wireing or something.... I just don't know where. Any advice from the audio gurus?

bad ignition wire conection. check the yellow wire conection from the car with a volt meter when the car is turned on, see if there is a reading, might be that the hvac controls are working as a power relay to your deck, would explain why it works with them on.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
if the clock retains time then the ground is good.
and cycon82 might be right, but you would only need to check the fuses that pertain to the audio.

·
Registered
456 Posts
check the fuses in the car. I had an issue similar to that and there is a stock radio fuse that will cut power if it blows

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to check the ignition wire. Our of curiosity I touched that to the ground and there was no spark so I'm assuming it's the ignition wire.

Any idea where the ignition wire connection is?

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,456 Posts
Good luck man. I'd be lost too. What a great resource this forum is!

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I checked the red wire and it's putting out a bunch of power, that means the ground is fine too

I checked the yellow wires and they are putting out not even half as much as the red so I'm guessing thats fine.

I tried to hook up the old hu again to see if I ****ed up the new one.... no such luck AND I blew my last interior light fuse.... I'm having great fun with this car... really I am

1 - 9 of 9 Posts