Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past year or so, I have toyed with several 4 cyl and V6 engines with oil smoke and PVC valve issues. A lot of FI engines have oil going through turbo seals and smoking at idle. This is common on Hyundai's and Mazdas.

What I found was the vacuum is too high (it also creates a slight vaccum through the PVC line) and oil is sucked into the intake. The solution is quite simple, and cheap, but it involves modifying the PVC port on the valve cover to use a different PVC valve. Normally, the PVC valve is supposed to vent the crankcase, but when you have a turbo, or in cases like the Hyundai, oil gets sucked into the intake too easily. A lot of people use catch cans to trap the oil, but a better solution is to slow the vacuum enough to stop it. I tried various PVC valves, but had good luck with a mid 70's GM V8 PVC valve (has to be mounted like it is on top of the valve cover). The GM valve works fine. Stauf also uses it with no oil issues.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I am running a straight thru barb fitting in place of my PCV, both the PCV and vent next to it go into a catch can with a breather filter on top, then a hose goes to my turbo intake which provides the suction.

It seemed to work for a while but I still get smoke at idle and when I come to a stop...I would be up for trying anything right now because my next step is to replace the valvetrain.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running a straight thru barb fitting in place of my PCV, both the PCV and vent next to it go into a catch can with a breather filter on top, then a hose goes to my turbo intake which provides the suction.

It seemed to work for a while but I still get smoke at idle and when I come to a stop...I would be up for trying anything right now because my next step is to replace the valvetrain.
The reason why it is smoking is the pressure in the engine is making the turbo seals leak; a common problem. Get a mid 70's Chevy PVC valve and put it on. I had to do this to my turbo projects and a few customers cars. Works fine.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Smoking at idle on a turbocharged car is typically worn compression seals. If it was a PCV issue you would smoke while driving as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts