Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I somewhat recently got in a minor accident during a snow storm. When doing a turn while going downhill I lost traction and slid into a stop sign. it ended up putting a big dent in my rear quarter, bent the forward control arm so much the tire rubbed on the trailing arm, and scratched my rim. Fortunately it was the last turn in to the parking lot at the end of my commute so I didn't have to drive far in that condition and I was only going 15-20kph at the time. I've replaced the control rod and will touch up the rim after I switch back to summer tires this spring. Because I don't have much experience with dents, only rust, I'm planning on getting some opinions from body shops on whether the dent can be pulled or not before I get to work on fixing the dent, although I'm unsure it can because the dent creased the metal and also bent the top of the inner fender which its connected to. If the dent can't be pulled and I have to weld a patch on. What is the gauge of the sheet metal for the body? Currently my welder is setup for 20ga as that is the metal thickness for my project car which I'm currently patching rust on, if the tib is something like 22ga I will need to order some to dial my weld setting in and do some practice welds on. For a patch I'd probably go to a scrapper and cut one from car there, although I may fabricate my own as its only a relatively simple compound curve and I would rather practice making fenders on my english wheel for a cheap daily driver before I do it for my vintage Italian roadster. Since for the dent Ill be buying color matched paint and clear for the tib anyway I may as well repair a small rust spot that's been developing on the bottom of the driver side door along with some small rock chips while I'm at it.

Does anyone know what gauge of sheet metal the rear quarter panels and doors are? Thanks.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Dent as viewed from the top, side, and head on. The images don't capture the size of the dent that well, it actually looks a bit larger in person.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I don't know the thickness, but you can probably get to a lot of that quarter area from inside. Take off the interior rear trim next to the rear seat and you can get to that area from behind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know the thickness, but you can probably get to a lot of that quarter area from inside. Take off the interior rear trim next to the rear seat and you can get to that area from behind.
I took that trim out to access the plug for the wheel speed sensor, there's not much dent I can access from in there, I might borrow a friends slide hammer and drill some 1/8 holes to put a bolt through to pull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts