Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 2004 tibby GT V6. It has 18K miles on it right now and I need an oil change. I want to switch over to synthetic and I want to know if I should switch it to a blend of synthetic and regualr oil or just straight to synthetic?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Kitsune said:
Ok so I have a 2004 tibby GT V6. It has 18K miles on it right now and I need an oil change. I want to switch over to synthetic and I want to know if I should switch it to a blend of synthetic and regualr oil or just straight to synthetic?

Go fully synthetic....
You won't have any problems with the switch... but it has to be full synthetic from here on...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
05GT said:
Go fully synthetic....
You won't have any problems with the switch... but it has to be full synthetic from here on...
Oh yes I know. I was just wondering if the switch would be "smoother" if I did it gradually with an intermediate blend.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Kitsune said:
Oh yes I know. I was just wondering if the switch would be "smoother" if I did it gradually with an intermediate blend.

Nope... just go dino to synthetic. There's no reason for a slow transition...

About a 100 miles or so after your synthetic change... get down there and look around for any leaks that the synthetic may have found.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Neither of you have any clue what you are talking about.

Conventional, synthetic-blend, synthetic... you can use any one your heart desires... though the level of durability and protection increases in that order. There is no "too new" or "too old" time to use synthetic... it provides the best level of protection and ideally should be factory filled and used for the life of the vehicle (Mobil 1 is solely used in Porsche, high-end Mercedes, Corvettes, Vipers, Aston Martin, etc.). Additionally, switching from conventional to synthetic will not cause any leaks that wouldn't otherwise be present from using regular conventional oil and does not require any kind of "transition" period whatsoever.

So in summary... switch over to synthetic (Mobil 1 being a personal recommendation) w/your next oil change and never look back. Oh, and you don't need any kind of special oil filter. Just use the OEM Hyundai (or comparable) filter you desire.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
GET 1T DONE said:
Neither of you have any clue what you are talking about.

Conventional, synthetic-blend, synthetic... you can use any one your heart desires... though the level of durability and protection increases in that order. There is no "too new" or "too old" time to use synthetic... it provides the best level of protection and ideally should be factory filled and used for the life of the vehicle (Mobil 1 is solely used in Porsche, high-end Mercedes, Corvettes, Vipers, Aston Martin, etc.). Additionally, switching from conventional to synthetic will not cause any leaks that wouldn't otherwise be present from using regular conventional oil and does not require any kind of "transition" period whatsoever.

So in summary... switch over to synthetic (Mobil 1 being a personal recommendation) w/your next oil change and never look back. Oh, and you don't need any kind of special oil filter. Just use the OEM Hyundai (or comparable) filter you desire.
How do I not know what I'm talking about. I told him the same freaking thing that you just said...
Anyways.... :3_fyou

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
05GT said:
How do I not know what I'm talking about. I told him the same freaking thing that you just said...
Anyways.... :3_fyou
I apologize. What I meant is she has no idea, and you are correct on some things however incorrect on others...

05GT said:
Go fully synthetic....
Not true.

Kitsune said:
Since "but it has to be full synthetic from here on" is not true, and she agrees, then obviously she doesn't fully understand either. And to think there is a transition period required is incorrect.

05GT said:
Nope... just go dino to synthetic. There's no reason for a slow transition...

About a 100 miles or so after your synthetic change... get down there and look around for any leaks that the synthetic may have found.
Correct, no reason for a slow transition. However leaks from a change to synthetic from conventional... incorrect.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
GET 1T DONE said:
I apologize. What I meant is she has no idea, and you are correct on some things however incorrect on others...

Not true.

Since "but it has to be full synthetic from here on" is not true, and she agrees, then obviously she doesn't fully understand either. And to think there is a transition period required is incorrect.

Correct, no reason for a slow transition. However leaks from a change to synthetic from conventional... incorrect.
Leaks from a switch to synthetic DO HAPPEN... Conventional oil sometimes plugs small leaks... synthetic will come through and clean away the buildup left by the original coventional oil and cause a leak....

Maybe you should do some more research...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
ok now i have a question,

last time i did an oil change, the guy at Napa told me not to go to synthetic for 2 reasons,

the first being that i have used conventional before and if the residue of the conventinal oil mixes up with the synthetic it would turn it all gunky or something.

and the second is that because i live in a hot climate, synthetic is not ideal, something about it being too thin or too thick, i cant remember.

what can you guys tell me about that?

·
Registered
308 Posts
There have been studies done where they said you can change between synthetic and dino oils without problems. The whole it combines to form gunk is just BS and misinformation. I've switched between them several times on my old car and I never had any leaks or mishaps from it. The hot climate one is bunk too... that's why your oil is sold as weighted. The viscosity grade (for example, 5W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Whether its synthetic or not doesn't matter its still measured the same way to the same SAE standards.

Here's some good reading on it.
http://news.carjunky.com/car_maintenance/auto_news_295.shtml
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20050201so.html
http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articleviewer.asp?pg=vcc20060101so&cccid=2&scccid=2
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/M...tic_Motor_Oil_in_Higher_Mileage_Vehicles.aspx

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
use synthetic. mineral and semi-synthetic are not used in my country for expensive cars (by your grade. more than $6000cost). if it snows a lot , use 0w40 , if it's always good and warm, 15w50 is your best bet and when the weather differs in wide range, than 5w40 is your best bet.
you can change it whenever you want to , the only thing that flushing the engine before are recommended. flush is filled after the old oil removed. it works about 15 mins and then the flush is removed and new oil is filled.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok Ok down boys!!! Sheesh relax it was just a simple question! Nor did I ever say I was an expert and knew EVERYTHING about the subject! Thats why I asked a QUESTION!!! Wow relax guys. I appreciate the input however because I am more knowledgable then from when I started. However I did "know" a few things that I wasn't sure were myth or not like running regualr oil for the first 3000 miles and I did know about the possible fact that after the switch you can get leaks. . . .SoOoO I asked the question thinking that perhaps if I went with a blend it would hense ease the switch. But so far thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Seems like there is some mis-information in all your ideas. Read this:
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf

and you shouldn't have any more questions. All I know is that to keep the Hyundai warranty intact, you have to change the oil at their recommended intervals (which is usually every 3k miles since almost everybody lives in the so-called "extreme" conditions). So, changing every 3k miles you will be fine with a petroleum oil. Synthetic just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Kitsune don't blend two oils. even from one brand. it's really a bad idea.

you're welcome, we are all here to share knowledge

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
apkraven said:

OoOh NO I wasn't going to physically "mix" to oils. . . .. no no! lol Gossh that would be catostrophic. . .there is a porduct on the market that is called synthetic blend. Thats what I meant. . Oh lord. . lol I didn't know a lot about oil but I love my car to much not to know not to do that! lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
apkraven said:

lol what will happen it will become highly explosive
From motor oil bible and common sense
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf

COMPATIBILITY ISSUES

Synthetic oils, these days, are completely compatible with petroleum oils. This was not always the case, but the widespread use of synthetics now makes that compatibility a necessity.
So, technically, you could even mix your own semi-synthetic oil. However, you will see exponentially better results by using a full synthetic than by going with a semi-synthetic oil. You won't cause any damage - you just won't get the results your paying and hoping for with a semi-synthetic

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
really?!?! I didn't know that. . . I thought it would just be a mush and not work. . .

·
Registered
962 Posts
Damn she was just askin a question. If she thought she knew everything do you think she's be asking.

btw nice sig lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts