Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been reading up on performance for the 2.5/2.7Delta engines in Sonatas and Tiburons for years now but have some questions.

It is known by almost all that when you double the power output of any engine you need to go forged or at least strengthened internals etc.... I'd like to know how this is possible to produce these types of numbers on stock engine?

E.g.... 2.7D has 4 bolt crank mains..... now i don't know how strong or good they are stock.... but Skylines and Supras have 6 bolt mains and are built for performance, and they don't see gains like this on stock normally aspirated internals....

I'd like to go forced induction eventually also, however... I am very skeptical.... Everything I know about performance and forced induction just screams b*ll*hit to me....

I don't see how Hyundai of all car manufacturers would put such strong parts into a cheap car?

Another question... I'd like to know how you can get an intercooler setup to be 100% efficient?

Best intercoolers on most performance cars i've seen run about 70-80% efficiency...

I don't see how running 320FWHP (3 times stock) can be run "safely and reliably" on stock
internals....

On top of all those questions... you guys are running on 93 octane unleaded fuel??? Here in Australia... we run 98 octane.

Another thing I can't find much information about except from RIPP.... is lowering the compression ratio from 10:1 to around 8-8.5..... considering you guys have such bad fuel, and running stock internals...... Both of those are not a good combination for running 3 times stock power output.....

I know I reallyyyyyy sound like an idiot... but these are just questions i need to ask before i slap down $6000 for a s/c setup..... (yes it will cost me that much since I'm Australian).

I'll probably get flamed for such a noob post... but I need to know these things... because Hyundai don't have a single decent performance car.

If anyone wants to help enlighten me to all my noobish questions... please go easy as I'm still learning new things constantly about these cars and engines.

p.s do these engines run steel/cast iron crankshaft?

Chase
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Well first of all most of those numbers are coming from people running pretty low boost applications ranging from 9-11psi which the stock internals are good for, most motors out there can run that amount of boost safely. And running 93 octane doesnt detonate when running that psi so why is there a problem, there are people on here who have been running pump gas on there tibbys with stock bottom ends for years so it is tried and true as long as you dont go over about the 10-11psi area. And hyundai motors are pretty strong stock but the piston heads are crap and thats the part that always fails first on the delta the storke isnt very long so there isnt a lot of tension on the rods. Ide say you should do a lot more research before you post something like this because is has been gone over several times, the delta is not the best tuning platform but as long as you instal and tune right it will prove itself worthy and this car is not making three times the WHP is it making about 2 times do a little more reading buddy.

Oh and could a mod take this and put it in the F/I section where it belongs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
the engine is safe for about 300-320 on stock internals,... some people are puching so much cause they have built bottom ends Look into Nxtgenmotorsports.com you'll find everything you need there or call 954-270-3840 talk to TC

and 93 octae would only be better dont see why it would be worst
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
there are a couple of stock block tibs in PR running over 350whp. Yet were turbo, not SC, as SC puts out more stress at sub 4k revs.

The delta has been proven to hold up good power. You just have to know were to start
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
tr5830 said:
Wasn't TC saying there there is a turbo Tibby running around in Puert Rico that is running almost 400hp on a stock bottom end?
yeah but a turbo doesnt put the instant stress on the engine that a blower does at low RPM, when a engine is already at higher RPMS it can take more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
that's right because of our love for wonderful for positive displacement pumps that produce that lovely whine they spike cylinder pressures at the moment of WOT unlike the hage Turbo's the guys down in PR are running which don't start shoving atmosphere's down the engine's throat until they're in the higher RPM's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,414 Posts
tr5830 said:
Wasn't TC saying there there is a turbo Tibby running around in Puert Rico that is running almost 400hp on a stock bottom end?
but that turbo is set up so the turbo doesnt put too much stress on the bottom end in the lower rpm range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Hey Chase I'm from Sydney in Australia. I just ordered a S/C Kit from NGM. Can;t wait till that comes so I can chuck it on. and see how things turn out.. Man trust me. This thing will rip, as everyone says. Hopefully I'll be the fastest tib IN AUSTRALIA. Hopefully...

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
out here we only have 91 octane.....unless i want to by $5/gal 101 octane race gas or the $13/gal C16....

I have seen stock block tibs go to around 350hp to the tires...

The reason tibs have fairly strong motors is because, while not built for performance, hyundai built them to last...as in, fufill the 100K warranty....for example, the relativly short stroke for lower piston speeds...which is also a plus for performance.

You usually want to lower compression in forced induction engines....regardless of octane....a higher octane would just allow pushing a little farther before lowering compression.

FYI...320whp isn't 3 times stock....the manual makes 140 to the wheels from the factory...the auto is 130...

There is no such thing as 100% eficient...there is going to be loss or drain somewhere......

NGM has pushed 30psi and made around 600 whp on a built motor tib....so honestly we are way pst questioning wether the tib can make power or not.....now we just have to see how much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the informative replies....

Reason why I posted in the Nxtgen section, was to get answers from them of the technical nature.

E.g.... how does the main crank bolts hold up to that power? I'm assuming ARP bolts or something?

Apparently the conrods in these Deltas are split-forged rods? Whats the difference between these and normal forged conrods?

Is there anything about these engines that makes them so good to get performance out of?

I work for a world-class car dealer and all the technicians reckon it's bullsh*t to get this type of power from a Hyundai 2.5L V6???

Yeah for some reason now that I think about it... 320 isn't 3 times 140 :) - I posted that at past 12am in the morning, had a big day at work and was also falling asleep at the time... haha

The reason why I ask about what octane the fuel there is, is because I don't see how 10.1:1 compression would run very well on 91-93 octane especially when it comes to forced induction and tuning... No wonder you guys get such bad economy..... Here on the east coast of Australia it's 95 which is normal or pay an extra 10cents a litre and get 98 octane - Fuel here is currently 95 cents per L for the 95 octane so dunno if that is cheaper than what you guys pay per gallon.

Another question I have, is what the Hyundai transmission model number is for the 5-speed V6 Tiburon?

I have the 2.5L V6 Delta in my sonata with a 5-speed manual and the model code is M5GF1#1

Thanks for answering some of my questions.....

I really believe what I read on these forums, just all the technicians where I work make it even harder for me to believe it....

Chase
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
chadoffl said:
Johnny Rocks, are you talking about a turbo setup in general or the 400whp PR car?
either way, most dont put stress on the lower end...

we have even less since stress because we spool kinda late, which lets us boost up to those numbers.

Theres alot of difference between 300whp at 1-4k revs and 300whp at 4-7k revs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
chaselepomme said:
Thanks for all the informative replies....

Reason why I posted in the Nxtgen section, was to get answers from them of the technical nature.

E.g.... how does the main crank bolts hold up to that power? I'm assuming ARP bolts or something?

Apparently the conrods in these Deltas are split-forged rods? Whats the difference between these and normal forged conrods?

Is there anything about these engines that makes them so good to get performance out of?

I work for a world-class car dealer and all the technicians reckon it's bullsh*t to get this type of power from a Hyundai 2.5L V6???

Yeah for some reason now that I think about it... 320 isn't 3 times 140 :) - I posted that at past 12am in the morning, had a big day at work and was also falling asleep at the time... haha

The reason why I ask about what octane the fuel there is, is because I don't see how 10.1:1 compression would run very well on 91-93 octane especially when it comes to forced induction and tuning... No wonder you guys get such bad economy..... Here on the east coast of Australia it's 95 which is normal or pay an extra 10cents a litre and get 98 octane - Fuel here is currently 95 cents per L for the 95 octane so dunno if that is cheaper than what you guys pay per gallon.

Another question I have, is what the Hyundai transmission model number is for the 5-speed V6 Tiburon?

I have the 2.5L V6 Delta in my sonata with a 5-speed manual and the model code is M5GF1#1

Thanks for answering some of my questions.....

I really believe what I read on these forums, just all the technicians where I work make it even harder for me to believe it....

Chase
Hyundai does not put a 2.5 litre into any of their cars the 2.5 is usually in older mitsubishis like the 2.5 they used to put in the dodge avenger. What is in your car is a 2.7 liter which has been used for quite some time now by hyundai, and please refrain from calling all these things that are PROVEN "********". You dont even know what the displacement of the motor in your own car is so please dont knock on what poeple have invested several years and several thousand dollars on. Now if you want help on this kind of stuff can you please put it up in the newbie forum, Im not trying to be a dick but if you look up dyno sheets for every F/I application you will see that these WHP numbers are far from ******** and that this subject has been gone over way to many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,351 Posts
flatblackstrat said:
Hyundai does not put a 2.5 litre into any of their cars the 2.5 is usually in older mitsubishis like the 2.5 they used to put in the dodge avenger. What is in your car is a 2.7 liter which has been used for quite some time now by hyundai, and please refrain from calling all these things that are PROVEN "********". You dont even know what the displacement of the motor in your own car is so please dont knock on what poeple have invested several years and several thousand dollars on. Now if you want help on this kind of stuff can you please put it up in the newbie forum, Im not trying to be a dick but if you look up dyno sheets for every F/I application you will see that these WHP numbers are far from ******** and that this subject has been gone over way to many times.
My friend, you just made a big mistake in tuner land... you just stated something like it was fact.. and of course you are wrong.. Hyundai came out with the 2.5 Delta before the 2.7 and there are tons of them all over the world.. You don't know what the displacement is in his car either.. I will bet your car versus mine its a 2.5 liter Delta made by the Hyundai Corp...
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top