Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm set on getting the Alpine stage I. I was just wondering how safe it is to run the car with just the supercharger and the couple mods that i have right now(AEM cai, SSA cat-back)? Should i get colder plugs? hi flow cat? I'm not lookin to make a lot of power from the start but do it gradually over time. Oh and i'm buyin from Alpine directly just to give you an idea of what the kit comes with. http://www.alpine-developments.us/id16.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
hey I put a stage zero kit from alpine on last week.I have cai and exhaust and I gutted one of the cats.
To be safe I put in the NGK plugs solid coppers 1 step colder. that way when I upgrade the boost I don't have to pull off the supercharger to install plugs.
The engine ran great with no hesitation or any thing like that. the stock computer "dumps fuel" to be on the safe side, so it is safe to drive without a worry, but it will get alot better gas milage if you install a tuning device and have it tuned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dirtyred said:
hey I put a stage zero kit from alpine on last week.I have cai and exhaust and I gutted one of the cats.
To be safe I put in the NGK plugs solid coppers 1 step colder. that way when I upgrade the boost I don't have to pull off the supercharger to install plugs.
The engine ran great with no hesitation or any thing like that. the stock computer "dumps fuel" to be on the safe side, so it is safe to drive without a worry, but it will get alot better gas milage if you install a tuning device and have it tuned.
A tuning device as in a fuel pressure regulator? or somthin like a stand alone or piggy back system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
I have the intake and xhaust and I throw a code for flowing too much through the stock airflow sensor.
in this condition the ecu freaks out and just sprays fuel everywhere. lots goes to waste.
Nextgen sells a piggy back tuning unit which intercepts the signal and then lies to the ecu.
it tricks the ecu into putting in the desired amount of fuel. this way, fuel is better controlled, and a better air fuel mixture is obtained which creates better gas mileage and more power.
it comes with a basic safe program but the real benefit is seen after it is tuned to the particular engine using a dyno.
also some may use a fuel pressure regulator to up the fuel pressure and in effect raise the capacity of the stock injectors.
this unit can also control bigger injectors which are needed for big boost.
this unit is at the top of my shopping list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
I've got a few quick questions. I don't know much about F/I and in checking out their stage II upgrade kit, I noticed it comes with a 7th injector. What's with that? Then there's the 8-psi pulley, I thought I remember reading somewhere that w/ exhaust and headers the psi will increase a bit. Is that true? It also comes with a pre-programmed piggyback ECU w/ harness, is it safe to assume this is the same as the one from NGM? Thanks.
Here is the page i'm talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Yamahamian said:
I've got a few quick questions. I don't know much about F/I and in checking out their stage II upgrade kit, I noticed it comes with a 7th injector. What's with that? Then there's the 8-psi pulley, I thought I remember reading somewhere that w/ exhaust and headers the psi will increase a bit. Is that true? It also comes with a pre-programmed piggyback ECU w/ harness, is it safe to assume this is the same as the one from NGM? Thanks.
Here is the page i'm talking about.
the 7th injector mounts on the s/c's intake manifold. With exhaust/headers you will have a lower psi boost because you're getting better air flow though the engine and it doesnt back up as much. You're still putting the same, if not more, air into the engine, it's just not backing up as much. I don't know about the ecu, it's probably not the same though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
And its not the same stage II as NGM is either. GO to NGM website you will see what included in his vice Alpines. With ALpine I beleive they still have warranty on there upgrades. The 7th injector is just a cheaper way of adding more fuel instead of getting bigger injectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,066 Posts
I believe with Alpine's stage II kit you still retain their powertrain warranty but lose the CARB certification. If you buy NGM's kit you will lose Alpine's drivetrain warranty, CARB certification and the warranty on the blower itself. Feeling lucky?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
dmdicks said:
I believe with Alpine's stage II kit you still retain their powertrain warranty but lose the CARB certification. If you buy NGM's kit you will lose Alpine's drivetrain warranty, CARB certification and the warranty on the blower itself. Feeling lucky?
Directly from their website:

"This kit will not be CARB certified, nor be avaliable with the powertrain warranty. "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I decided on getting a APEXi SAFC II fuel tuner to bend the fuel curve so i dont have a problem with the computer dumping a buttload of fuel into the engine. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to post. :3_shiny:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
OneHOttTibbyGT said:
I decided on getting a APEXi SAFC II fuel tuner to bend the fuel curve so i dont have a problem with the computer dumping a buttload of fuel into the engine. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to post. :3_shiny:
You dont NEED a tuner for stage 1.

I spoke with TC (NGM) last month about the fuel tuner and stage 1. He said it wouldn't make too much of a difference because at 4 psi you will run just a little on the lean side at WOT. It is good for natural aspirated because you'll run rich. You would also need it for stage 2 cause you'll run lean. Stage 1 is right in the middle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i do plan on going to stage 2 sometime in the future so i'll have it handy. I just want to cover my ass as much as possible to make sure the car stays healthy.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top