Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Have I mentioned on here before that on my 2004 (2003's don't have this option on this particular knob) setting the knob on the far left to MAX A/C allows me to consistently & reliably use the fan speed 3 setting?

It's strange and perhaps it's because it slightly rerouting the path of current because this knob setting forces the A/C and Recirc. buttons on (sort of like re-routing the current through the relay in the above posted "fix").

Now if I get ambitious and start switching around fan speeds (on the MAX A/C setting), it can flicker off. But when left on 3, I have consistently been using this setting (MAX A/C, fan speed 3) for the past two weeks, daily, with no flicker off problems, in these 110 deg F days. I think finally today the temps drop back into the 80's.

If not on MAX A/C, anything over fan speed 2 is short lived if even working at all. I love my Tib, but damn this stupid A/C circuitry. It's complete garbage.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, I'll be joining the party to dig into the wiring issues for the AC. I just picked up my '03 on Sunday, and it has the blinking A/C issues. I've only drove it home, about 45 minutes and had to wait to get my plates today so I can drive it again. I get the clicking (sounds like arcing) from the HVAC unit itself when the lights blink. Can't wait to go dig into it.

What is so different about the Tiburon? This is now my 3rd Hyundai from this era ('02 Elantra, '04 Santa Fe) and they have never had any issues that I've heard of or experienced. Perhaps if we specifically figure out what is different about the Tiburon it will lead to the true source of the problem?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well, I'll be joining the party to dig into the wiring issues for the AC. I just picked up my '03 on Sunday, and it has the blinking A/C issues. I've only drove it home, about 45 minutes and had to wait to get my plates today so I can drive it again. I get the clicking (sounds like arcing) from the HVAC unit itself when the lights blink. Can't wait to go dig into it.

What is so different about the Tiburon? This is now my 3rd Hyundai from this era ('02 Elantra, '04 Santa Fe) and they have never had any issues that I've heard of or experienced. Perhaps if we specifically figure out what is different about the Tiburon it will lead to the true source of the problem?
Go for it! lol keep any results posted!
but ver funny, more action in here again
I just can't get over how many people have this issue, an i call the dealer to see if there familiar with this and know of an ACTUAL fix, and they don't know

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My fan control works on 1. on 2 I have to hold it in. 3 and 4 don't work. I need to get this fixed! Reading through the thread..

·
Registered
149 Posts
instead of relaying, how about replacing. Jovanie, that relay looks like it works like a charm, but does it always overheat no matter what? I want to just replace the wire and the "pigtail" piece. Is this fail, or might work?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
instead of relaying, how about replacing. Jovanie, that relay looks like it works like a charm, but does it always overheat no matter what? I want to just replace the wire and the "pigtail" piece. Is this fail, or might work?
Yes, were still getting alot of heat on speeds 3 and 4 with the relay. The Relay has somehow fixed the connction problem but hasn't fixed the real problem with the heat in the wires

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some of the pictures aren't loading and I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm supposed to do... Basically, pull everything apart and super glue the back of the switch on?? I'll pull the switch out tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

Also, (there are ten pages in this thread and I got tired of looking after six..) is there a permanent fix for the heat issue? Is it just a matter of tightening all the connections of the wires leading into the switch?

Nice to recall the original steps from time to time! :3_pimatyo

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Some of the pictures aren't loading and I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm supposed to do... Basically, pull everything apart and super glue the back of the switch on?? I'll pull the switch out tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

Also, (there are ten pages in this thread and I got tired of looking after six..) is there a permanent fix for the heat issue? Is it just a matter of tightening all the connections of the wires leading into the switch?

Nice to recall the original steps from time to time! :3_pimatyo

there isnt, as far as i know, a permanent fix for this. Hyundai knows there is a problem but they simply do not care enough to fix it, especially since they dont even make the tiburon anymore.

if you really want a permanent fix, just buy a new one from the stealership (~$20-30) replace it and don't turn it above 3 anymore.

this method will work for a little while, but it will eventually fail again, and usually a lot sooner than you would hope for. i 'fixed' mine 3 times before i eventually caved and bought a new one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah this is the second one I've had, but it keeps burning out on 4. Problem is the car is getting old and the A/C doesn't crank as high as it used to. I want to be able to use the highest setting...

·
Registered
149 Posts
So it will inevitably fail, because of something pretty unfixable and/or inexpensive? Nice. And the temp fix (pun intended) is to keep it at a lower speed setting. Got it. Much thanks. Makes me wonder if not only the GKs have this issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
So it will inevitably fail, because of something pretty unfixable and/or inexpensive? Nice. And the temp fix (pun intended) is to keep it at a lower speed setting. Got it. Much thanks. Makes me wonder if not only the GKs have this issue.
Most of the whole Kia and Hyundai range in those models years is probably bad. Its related to ambient temperature here, which is probably higher than the cars were tested for???

Anyway, better temp fix. I couldn't get teh super glue to hold the pieces together because the spring was pushing them out, so I grabbed a BIC kitchen lighter and melted the two pieces together. I also checked all the incoming wires and found teh obvious burning on the infamous green wire. I tightened up the connection a little. We'll see how long this helps....

Sunday was my birthday. Happy birthday!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Okay so I took mine off and noticed a few melted wires. Can anybody give a detail as to what wire do what exactly? To be specific the green and black wires were the melted ones

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I think the idea is to cut off the factory plug and put on good terminals and plug those in separately, instead of the big plug. I need to do this as well, but the back of my manual control is coming undone

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you guys think putti g individual terminals would solve the problem because I'm putting a new plug on mine and I want to know if this might work

·
Registered
160 Posts
Any idea on that post ^^^^

·
Registered
134 Posts
I actually had my HVAC controls off the other night. Nothing looked weird with the wiring, I am wondering if my issue is just with the knob itself because tapping right by the knob resolves the issue for awhile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Guys I am new to this site, is anyone still having problems with wiring heating up I have done many hours of research, have bought new parts and have taken measurements I believe I have come up with a permanent solution to fix the issue with no heat to the wiriing and no more melted switches, I have installed the setup in my 05 Tiburon and so far it has been running for about a week with no flaws and no heat including on setting 4 I will continue to do testing I just wanted to know if anybody still needs help.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Hello Guys I am new to this site, is anyone still having problems with wiring heating up I have done many hours of research, have bought new parts and have taken measurements I believe I have come up with a permanent solution to fix the issue with no heat to the wiriing and no more melted switches, I have installed the setup in my 05 Tiburon and so far it has been running for about a week with no flaws and no heat including on setting 4 I will continue to do testing I just wanted to know if anybody still needs help.
Take some photos and write it up! I haven't fixed mine yet, and I would like to see how you fixed yours.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Does anyone know what the p/n on the connector? I'm going to try to fix this once and for all...

221 - 240 of 273 Posts