Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a stock auto I am just curious can you put race gas like whatever 100+octane level it is in a stock engine or will it screw it up? Or what exactly should be done to be safe, etc... Let me know, thanks..

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I believe race gas is used for extreme forced induction systems, or systems where you have a really fuggin high compression ratio. As it has a higher octane rating, it won't have as much risk with detonation. Because detonation = new engine :)

Putting it in your stock engine will not add anything as far as hp or anything else, it'd be like putting 93 in ur engine when the manufacturer says only use 87. why pay the extra cash for negligible benefit? where as with RG you'll see probably no benefit.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
I agee with them, if timing is already aggressive with standard pump gas, a higher octane isn't going to do anything more. Forced induction, high compression, due to these already installed and causing timing issues is the only reason you should look to use it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
dang dude calm down

higher octane fuel is generally useless unless you have some sort of chip that takes advantage of it, or are running a high power setup like turbo/supercharger

·
Registered
898 Posts
Most race gases=leaded... You wanna f*ck up your cat and O2 sensors? Besides you aren't tuned for it, so you'd be wasting a lot of money. About 5 dollars a gallon. Hell I have a boosted car, running higher than stock boost(17psi like it says in my sig, about 18-18.5 now because of my 3" cutout) and I'm only running 93 octane.... Please stop asking these questions. You want to run race gas, go out, buy a turbo'd car, throw on a gt42 turbo, run 30+psi and fill up with c16 and have fun.........

·
Registered
358 Posts
RedAutomaticTiburonGT said:
care to explain? that is the info I am looking for an explanation.... lol thanks..
thats really all you need to know, it isn't going to do anything for you because your car doesn't need it. it would be like watering your grass with bottled water, it would cost a ****ing ton but wouldn't do ANYTHING that tap water wouldn't do. however, it's completly different in a car that NEEDS higher octane fuel, using 87 octane could be detrimental.

if you really want to understand why, ill do my best to explain...

octane rating is kind of like a scale of how much energy it takes to ignite the fuel, the higher the octane, the more energy required ( this is because of the ammount of isooctane vs heptane ) because the octane rating is just like a scale of how much energy it takes to ignite the fuel, it doesn't mean it gives more power ( understand that? the higher number doesnt mean more power, it means more energy required to ignite ) so using 93 octane, or race gas, isn't going to give mroe power ( or better fuel economy, although some idiots think it does ) HOWEVER, in OTHER cars ( NOT OURS ) the compression and ignition timing is designed for higher octane fuel, and using higher octane fuel DOES make a difference ( I REPEAT, NOT, OUR, CARS. ) if you go F/I you may experience engine knock, this could be because the gas is not igniting at the right time, and higher octane fuel may help with that ( with our car, if your getting knock higher octane fuel probably wont make a difference, cause if you arn't a dipshit you're already using it if you're F/I )

if i was wrong about anything, feel free to correct me

and to the o/p if you have more questions about fuel check out http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline.htm or google, the internet has the answers to anything you ask it :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
well to be honest, gas around here sucks. I was using 87 regular, but I noticed my tib not performing as good as it should and was kinda sluggish. seemed like it had a bit of water in the gas lol. so I decided to switch to 91 or 93 and it has made a difference in my tib. I wouldnt do anything higher or lower, but I like the way it drives now with the higher octane.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a stock auto I am just curious can you put race gas like whatever 100+octane level it is in a stock engine or will it screw it up? Or what exactly should be done to be safe, etc... Let me know, thanks..
No it won't screw it up. Yes you can put race gas in if you choose,,,,maybe like a little treat to your car.
However most people that run such a high octane will buy like 5 gal worth and then fill up the rest of the car with regular gas. Cuts down on costs some. It will make your car a little more responsive temporarily.
It's not gonna give you a 12sec run in the 1/4 mile or anything.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Only have time to read title ................ so here goes my response. The answer is yes, every time I get ready to race I get the inside a churnin and then yup here comes the gas! Not your everyday normal gas .............. I mean the down right get in my car who died a week ago gas. Funny thing is right after the race is over all the gas is gone!

96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats for the GOOOD replys... I tryed searching "race gas" and it didnt come up, if the internet really pisses you off because people ask questions in forums you have problems.... Thanks for the good replys though it answers my questions.

·
Registered
358 Posts
RedAutomaticTiburonGT said:
thats for the GOOOD replys... I tryed searching "race gas" and it didnt come up, if the internet really pisses you off because people ask questions in forums you have problems.... Thanks for the good replys though it answers my questions.

PLEASE do yourself a favor and ignore everyone in this thread but me

to the guy that said "the gas around here sucks" save yourself some money and go back to 87, any perfomance gains you think you're getting from 93 octane is just in your head, GAS IS GAS. there are only a few terminals! IT COMES FROM THE SAME PLACE! the ONLY difference in gas is that some companys ( shell, chevron... another one I forgot ) add detergents to their gasoline.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
...or water from the shady places (I think that's what he meant.)

However, it is possible something has clogged up your fuel system. Maybe you pumped gas when the station was low/refilling and you have sediment. Try running injector cleanser with your next fill up.

For the tib, "race gas" its not going to do anything on its own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts