Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll be finally getting some Raceland coilovers for my '06 Tiburon. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be ordering them!. $453 dollars for them. :berge:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would sooner buy new KYB struts and some cheap lowering springs then put Racelands on my Tib. You will get a better ride, equal drop all around and you won't have to send any of them back under warranty for replacement within a year. But if you settle for the Craplands, then my condolences and good luck.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My "craplands" have lasted me very well since their debut.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would sooner buy new KYB struts and some cheap lowering springs then put Racelands on my Tib. You will get a better ride, equal drop all around and you won't have to send any of them back under warranty for replacement within a year. But if you settle for the Craplands, then my condolences and good luck.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Racelands are as cheap as they are for a reason. If it were me, I would save the extra money and buy a quality set of coilovers, such as D2's, Ksports, Tein, or such.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Racelands are as cheap as they are for a reason. If it were me, I would save the extra money and buy a quality set of coilovers, such as D2's, Ksports, Tein, or such.

If I could afford Tein, D2's, Ksports I would consider getting them.
Unfortunately not everyone can afford coilovers that cost $2,000 dollars. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
If you've ever ridden on a properly adjusted set of coils you will be very disappointed with the Raceland setup, I've been 5 years on my ARKs, they still ride like year 1 and I have never been gentle on them.

But congrats on your addition. Do not lower them the entire way because you lose suspension travel with every inch dropped.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have had my Raceland coilovers for about two years now. The only thing that I dont like about them is that the ride is really bouncy. I only drop about an inch on the front and back. I'm saving up for a better set.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have Racelands on my 03 put them on last jan..... and just took the tib off the road last month and they feel fine a rough ride and the first couple weeks they were extra bouncy but settled nice.

I didnt drop mine all the way as I have a front lip and live in MASS so I have crap roads and speedbumps everywhere I need to go but they still are doing good.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Find an alignment shop before you get them.... I went to a local tire place and they wont touch the pillowball camber adjustment on the top.... I put them to at 0 and that was actually pretty close and had to get camber bolts.....I would have gone elsewhere if I had known. but since I didnt want to pay twice and camber bolts where only 20 bucks. so I went with that.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Racelands coils suk. Ive had them on my tib i would save ur money and see if u can find a good used set of some better coils then put craplands on my tib ever again. I just sould mine for 200 and They are poorly made..just save ur 453 and keep adding to it.. U will be much happier

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
Thanks for the bashing you just gave me. Much appreciated. By the way, take some grammar lessons. IT will do you good.:thumbdown:
it helps to follow your own advice when bashing someone's grammar.

secondly, he wasn't bashing you, he was bashing raceland coilovers; it is his opinion that your money would be better saved for a higher quality coil over set-up.

take it or leave it, but in the end, "gotta pay to play."

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did make a goof and I didn't even realize it. My bad. I also had no idea that there was so much hatred towards Raceland coilovers. I realize that they aren't the best coilovers out there but for someone like me who is trying to mod their car on a tight budget. The price is pretty darn good. Spending $2,000 on the good quality ones is something that I can't afford at this time. Whether you guys like my decision or not, I am still getting them.:websta:

·
Administrator
8,880 Posts
I did make a goof and I didn't even realize it. My bad. I also had no idea that there was so much hatred towards Raceland coilovers. I realize that they aren't the best coilovers out there but for someone like me who is trying to mod their car on a tight budget. The price is pretty darn good. Spending $2,000 on the good quality ones is something that I can't afford at this time. Whether you guys like my decision or not, I am still getting them.:websta:
OK, I'm neutral here, but have a question.
Why are you replacing the existing struts?
-Worn out?
-Broken/leaking?
-Want to lower your car?
-Going for looks?

If the existing struts are worn out/gone and you're just looking to replace them I agree with Shark2005 on getting KYB GR-2's/Excels. My wifes Tib really needed struts when we bought it summer of 2012. Went the KYB route (through www.RockAuto.com .... a sponsor here so I had a coupon) and couldn't be happier...... well, couldn't be happier without spending a ton more money. If I could have bought AGX's I would have been happier.

If you're looking to lower the car, then what I bought wouldn't really help unless you also went to lowering springs.

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
do you NEED to buy soemthing right now? I am all about modding on a budget, but that doesn't necessarily mean one needs to buy cheap... it means one needs to save a little longer than those with deep pockets. Believe me, I have a wife and new infant, we are looking at buying a house- I am on a budget.

But being on a budget shouldnt mean one needs to buy "budget" quality items.

If your need for modding is so great that you can't wait, then by all means, buy cheap... but know that while you are saving yourself money, you may be adding unnecessary stress to your life later down the road when things start failing prematurely, or you find you don't like the quality or "upgrade" the mod provides.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
I think it means "i ****ing want coilovers (right now!!) but can't afford a set of 1200$ so I know that I will get the raceland, but I can't put on the side that maybe everyone is right and they are a real cheap solution that may lead to issues in the future... decisions decisions..."

Am i right?

I would follow the advices seen above... i have had both r acelands and k-sport... and k-sport wins by thousands mile even though a good friend of mine have had my racelands for almost 2 years and was happy with them.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
My racelands are about 20 months old (~25k miles). Other than getting the rears replaced under warranty after breaking the end link tabs, I haven't had any major issues with them.

That said, if I had to do it over I would not purchase them again. The pillow ball mounts suck so they make all kinds of noise. The rear pistons were horribly pitted when I took them off; I hate to think what the fronts look like under the dust cover. I can't comment on how the ride compares to other coilovers because I've never had another set.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have not had Racelands on my Tiburon but, I have had them on numerous Volkswagen's. They all rode a bit bouncy but were decently smooth. They did not last too long before needing replacing. However, good luck with them on your tiburon let us know how they turn out for you.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts