Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just checking in to see what you all think about raceland coilovers I know they aren't like the best of the best but for the price I heard they were good enough just wanted to hear opinions I already bought them so be nice lol

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Not the biggest fan myself. Bought some new and hated how bouncy they were. Got some on a used 03 Tib I bought and they were binding and popping around turns. Like you said you get what you pay for and they're not bad but not great. That said, they are made here in Utah by a US company so there's that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ive got BCRacing on a couple of my cars. I love the ride, and quality. Plus they are rebuildable. You can purchase replacement parts directly from them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
IMO buying Racelands are a gamble. You could get "good" set and have a decent experience or you could get a "bad" set. I tried my luck and got a bad set:

• Spring bind when turning at low speeds
  • Audible clicking sound from both front coilovers when going over bumps or uneven road
They are pretty bouncy coilovers, and its definitely something you will notice a first, which you may get used to. The spring bind and clicking was enough for me to take them off and send everything back within a month of receiving them.

As a side note, their customer service is pretty robust, and they will not hesitate to send you replacement coilovers at the first mention you have a problem.

The issue is that even if you are installing these yourself, you still need to spend the time and effort replacing them, and getting the car aligned after. Throughout my entire raceland experience, I had visited the alignment shop so many times the owner felt bad for me and started giving me a discounted rate.

I'd suggest if you do decide to go with them you should have pretty low expectations on how they will perform and feel (although they do a great job of lowering your car!). You should also install them and drive around for a week or two BEFORE getting aligned. This is to see if you got a decent set of coils, that way you don't waste time and money aligning the car for them to start binding clicking after.
  • If you end up getting a bad set, don't waste your time trying replacements. They will ask you for a production code, and then send you replacements of the same batch. In my case the replacements were not any better than the originals. if you do get them, before you even install them look and see what the production code is, if its "PD03" (that was on my set) I would just put everything back in the box and send them back.
Living in the US also makes this a lot less costly - I had to pay out of pocket for return shipping from Canada.

I ended up buying a set of Eibach sportline springs and putting them on KYB- Excel G struts. 1" drop and a decent feeling suspension without all of the headaches racelands gave me.

·
Administrator
8,882 Posts
For various platforms, common suggestion is buy 2 full sets of Racelands....thus, when a strut dies, you swap one out, install another, then send the bad in for warranty replacement.....although, time/cost for swap and then alignment.....long term......buy better up front....mu $0.02

Reactions: Faulcun

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not the biggest fan myself. Bought some new and hated how bouncy they were. Got some on a used 03 Tib I bought and they were binding and popping around turns. Like you said you get what you pay for and they're not bad but not great. That said, they are made here in Utah by a US company so there's that.
Did you set the pre-load at 5mm? They should not be bouncy if adjusted properly.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Did you set the pre-load at 5mm? They should not be bouncy if adjusted properly.
There is no preload on Racelands. Look at how they're made, there's only 2 collars which adjust and lock the ride height. The spring rate/compression is directly determined by the ride height.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The pre-load is there. Its the lower cog that compresses the spring. If you want I can send you a link. On the raceland website they even show you a video on how to adjust pre-load for a stiffer spring rate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The pre-load is there. Its the lower cog that compresses the spring. If you want I can send you a link. On the raceland website they even show you a video on how to adjust pre-load for a stiffer spring rate.
Raceland "Primo" coils have preload adjustment. The "Classic" coils (the only ones they make for the Tiburon) do not have independent preload adjustment.

How To Adjust Coilovers - Raceland.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have an 2006 I guess they dont make it for yours.
They don't make it for yours either. Have you ever owned them? Or even go look at their site right now. There's one product for 2003-2008 Tibs and it's the pic I posted above. I've had 2 different Tibs with Racelands and they were exactly the same. No preload adjustment, sorry. If you have coils with a preload adjustment they're not Racelands.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For various platforms, common suggestion is buy 2 full sets of Racelands....thus, when a strut dies, you swap one out, install another, then send the bad in for warranty replacement.....although, time/cost for swap and then alignment.....long term......buy better up front....mu $0.02
Im quoting this for visibility.

What charlie said is 100% correct. I personally have no experience with racelands, but i do have a lot of experience with multiple aftermarket parts on countless customer vehicles for many many years. You absolutely get what you pay for 99% of the time. Adjusting ride height by spring tension is such a bad idea....

Like charlie said, buy better up front

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6
201 Posts
This is funny you made this. I have Racelands on my car. The lower you go, the more bouncy they will become. Which is kind of ironic, since you don't want the car to bottom out.

I have been driving on them for a week, and there is a noticeable "Boing" when you turn. I think it's because of the spring getting stuck, I am not sure. This doesn't really bother me.

These ARE STIFF. LIke REALLY stiff. I would only lower the car with these coilovers a little bit, not too much beyond stock.

The cornering is definitely 10x better then stock. But because of the lack of dampener, you feel every...little... bump.

I am not sure how I feel yet, I may raise the car another 1/2 inch. To see if it gets less bouncy.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for all these replies im getting them installed in probably a few weeks looks like it's production number is pf02 not pd03 lol so im happy about that we shall see maybe I'll be lucky im not planning to lower it that much maybe a quarter inch? I live in Florida it rains almost everyday lol don't want to flood the engine anyways I love you all ill keep you posted

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Thanks everyone for all these replies im getting them installed in probably a few weeks looks like it's production number is pf02 not pd03 lol so im happy about that we shall see maybe I'll be lucky im not planning to lower it that much maybe a quarter inch? I live in Florida it rains almost everyday lol don't want to flood the engine anyways I love you all ill keep you posted
Let us know what you think, but you can't go only 1/4" lower with these. They go anywhere from 1" to 3" lower than stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
20201010_165818.jpg

What you guys think i didn't lower it as you can see just the coilovers alone lowers it a bit it rides super stiff like you guys said but I definitely need to get an alignment done so far I love it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys soon I'm having a small annoyance after I got the racelands installed I went to Firestone to get an alignment and they told me they couldn't do it cuz my car was too low im not sure if these racelands can go higher I didn't ask the person about that he just did it and I left so I want to know for anyone who has these coilovers assuming you saw the picture I posted if I can raise it a bit higher so I can get the alignment

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey guys soon I'm having a small annoyance after I got the racelands installed I went to Firestone to get an alignment and they told me they couldn't do it cuz my car was too low im not sure if these racelands can go higher I didn't ask the person about that he just did it and I left so I want to know for anyone who has these coilovers assuming you saw the picture I posted if I can raise it a bit higher so I can get the alignment
You need to find somebody with a ground level alignment rack. Hell, you dont even need to waste time asking. You can easily see from outside if they have the equipment you need. Dont worry, nobody considers this stuff before they lower their car. You'll also need a camber kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts