Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how my brain got clicking....I drive an 06 tib gt /w an Injen RD CAI and Borla Catback

My friend drives a 04 Mazda 3 Sedan 2.0... his CAI filter sits in the same spot as our 03+ tibs which is right behind the stock foglight...
We both went out to the track this weekend... I was running 15.9's and 15.8's in my passes....
He was running 16.6's.... He asked if he should pop out his foglight cover (on the 2.0's there is no foglight just a piece of plastic)
He started running 16.3's..... It was about 65 degrees that night....
Mazda 3.... 2.0.... 4-cyl.... 3 tenths by unblocking the flow directly to its intake...
Anyone took out the Left foglight and let the air Ram into their CAI????

Im thinking of fiberglassing a piece to sit behind the bottom grill and vent the air towards the intake filter and ram as much into it as possible... + seal off the hole that the intake passes through with some foam or something to seal off the hot @ss engine air.....

Whats good and whats bad ??? leave some feedback

·
Registered
486 Posts
sealing off the hole that the intake passes through wouldn't really matter since heat rises, and i don't think the engine heat would travel down through that hole, not possible. So you don't really need to worry about that.
And i don't think you're going to increase the amount of air going into the engine. Maybe you will just be sucking in cooler air by "ramming" air, but the air won't be forced into the engine just because it's blowing harder on the intake filter. Basically the only thing you would be changing in this situation is the temperature of the air, not actually "forcing" more air into the engine.... But by reducing the temp. of the air, you are technically allowing a denser flow of air into the engine, but I don't think that it';ll make a big enough difference to affect performance.

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
I think you will see a difference....depending on if it isnt 100 degrees out...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll scan before and after time slips... ill just remove the fogs when i race.... we'll see what happens

·
Registered
468 Posts
viva_brasil said:
sealing off the hole that the intake passes through wouldn't really matter since heat rises, and i don't think the engine heat would travel down through that hole, not possible. So you don't really need to worry about that.
And i don't think you're going to increase the amount of air going into the engine. Maybe you will just be sucking in cooler air by "ramming" air, but the air won't be forced into the engine just because it's blowing harder on the intake filter. Basically the only thing you would be changing in this situation is the temperature of the air, not actually "forcing" more air into the engine.... But by reducing the temp. of the air, you are technically allowing a denser flow of air into the engine, but I don't think that it';ll make a big enough difference to affect performance.

Hmm.. I don't know why you think the air being directly forced into the CAI would make it colder... It seems to me that the "ram air" effect is plausible. It would probably be more pronounced if you removed the filter... NOT that I'm recommending that, just saying. It like the concept of a SCRAM jet turbine engine like on an SR-71. Use the velocity of the air entering the engine to compress it. I guess if you could go fast enough, it would add a little compression... Like a free turbo :)

Sounds good in theory anyway, I dunno. give it a try! Most likely it wouldn't show up at all on a dyno unless you had an artificial flow of air (like a dyno in a wind tunnel or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will upload my before and after time slips... probably next month some time..... i go up to No Problem Raceway in Belle Rose, LA....like i said tho... my friend can shave off 3 tenths by opening up the flow to his filter... we shall see

·
Registered
201 Posts
It almost makes me wonder why they (they=somebody with know-how and resources) build the aftermarket filters in a cone shape rather than a funnel. Probably that there are minimal performance gains, if any, and cost, but I'm not educated enough to know for sure...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Hmm well your idea of removing the foglight might help somewhat, I know alot of guys will take out there drivers side headlights when at the track to allow colder air to flow into the engine bay. Your friend ran a 16.3 with a 2.0? My best time in my v6 with catback was a 16.4, but than again it was close to a 100 degrees that day.. What mods does ur friend have?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
ive thought about this idea before; I was going to get to black plastic inserts for the bumper where the foglights go and dremel out a hole in the driver side one and then clean it up real nice and put it in there. My only issue is i dont want to have to swap out the insert and fogs all time sense i dont want an open hole exposing my filter when its pouring rain and im driving down the interstate...

·
Registered
939 Posts

Looking at that pic of the filter, it seems that taking the driver's side foglight off could get more air to the CAI filter. I'd only do it at the track though.

So, does the foglight pop off easily?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
not sure on the 03, on the 05 i think its 2 or 3 screws and then the harness

·
Registered
653 Posts
MikeyC said:
It almost makes me wonder why they (they=somebody with know-how and resources) build the aftermarket filters in a cone shape rather than a funnel. Probably that there are minimal performance gains, if any, and cost, but I'm not educated enough to know for sure...
Interesting theory! But my guess would be that a funnel would collect dirt and not allow for as much of a surface area for the filter. Maybe... dunno.

·
Registered
629 Posts
05Tib said:
not sure on the 03, on the 05 i think its 2 or 3 screws and then the harness
90% sure it's the same for an 03 i remember taking mine off a while back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My guess would be that your friend gained a better launch with more practice. At lower speeds, there would be no ram-air effect, even at higher speeds it would be negligible.
What are the differences in 60' times, before and after?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
9mpg79 said:
My guess would be that your friend gained a better launch with more practice. At lower speeds, there would be no ram-air effect, even at higher speeds it would be negligible.
What are the differences in 60' times, before and after?
I'll try to give him a call... i said the same thing to him right after he ran without the cover and i dont think that was it... he had a worse reaction time when he ran without the cover... dont know tho

Anyway.. he has an 05 not a 04 mazda 3 2.0... K&N CAI, OBX Headers, Custom Exhaust with no cats..... ( were from Louisiana... with the exception of Baton Rouge... noone cares about emissions) to answer ur question

He just got a NXpress adjustable wet nitrous kit, hes running a 35 shot next time we go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts