Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slowly making my way into the market for some headers, and so I've been doing what research I can. Since with my car I've always thought it a better idea to spend the extra money and get a quality product, I've been trying to deduce what the general consensus is on where headers fall in relation to one another.

So far, I've gathered that Hotshots is considered the best. Is this true? What does the ranking look like for other brands, such as SSA, DC, and others?

I have a DC catback, and live in Cali (and still have to pass emissions) so having a cat is a must. I know a lot of people get SSA or DC headers and add the magnaflow cat, but I'd rather just have everything designed to fit when I pull it out of the box. Is Hotshots the only one that does this, or are there better ones out there even?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
xxSandmaNxx said:
I am slowly making my way into the market for some headers, and so I've been doing what research I can. Since with my car I've always thought it a better idea to spend the extra money and get a quality product, I've been trying to deduce what the general consensus is on where headers fall in relation to one another.

So far, I've gathered that Hotshots is considered the best. Is this true? What does the ranking look like for other brands, such as SSA, DC, and others?

I have a DC catback, and live in Cali (and still have to pass emissions) so having a cat is a must. I know a lot of people get SSA or DC headers and add the magnaflow cat, but I'd rather just have everything designed to fit when I pull it out of the box. Is Hotshots the only one that does this, or are there better ones out there even?

Thanks for any input!

The all fit outta the box. If you're gonna run a cat then you're gonna have to get one installed after the fact. Yea.... alot of people will tell you that the Hotshots are the best. If you wanna drop the $$$ then get em.

DC Sports are just a nice. I helped install a set, and they're seemed to be top quality. I have a set of SSA's sitting in the other room that seem to be really nice also. I won't say that they're up there with Hotshots or DC Sports, but they're all gonna flow around the same so who cares. Go with what's in your budget.

As far as passing smog. You're gonna need a cat, and you're still gonna fail the visual so I hope that you have the hookup somewhere.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm.. but doesn't the Hotshots come with a cat?

And does anyone know a hookup in SoCal? :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
hotshots come with cat. i've been in car with hotshot and i used to drive with dc headers and ark dual exhaust, and sound wise, they are about the same. quality wise they are about same as well, but hotshot comes with cat, so less work and hassle for u. when i had dc, i didnt install cat cuz you dont have to do smog for like 5 or 6 years if you bought a new car.

·
Registered
869 Posts
05GT said:
The all fit outta the box. If you're gonna run a cat then you're gonna have to get one installed after the fact. Yea.... alot of people will tell you that the Hotshots are the best. If you wanna drop the $$$ then get em.

DC Sports are just a nice. I helped install a set, and they're seemed to be top quality. I have a set of SSA's sitting in the other room that seem to be really nice also. I won't say that they're up there with Hotshots or DC Sports, but they're all gonna flow around the same so who cares. Go with what's in your budget.

As far as passing smog. You're gonna need a cat, and you're still gonna fail the visual so I hope that you have the hookup somewhere.
yeah my dc sport headers are really nice...on my living room floor..haha haven't had time to put them in

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Get the hotshots. The DC sport headers are nice too, but I have heard of some people having fitment issues. I've never seen or heard of any fitment issues with the Hotshots, plus they come with the cat.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Hot shots, ceramic coated, come with or w/o cat, and have excellent fitment. You do have to extend the secondary sensor wires though, which if done right is straigtforward and code free. Everyone's always saying hotshot's are high dollar, but if you deduct the cost of ceramic coating and the high flow cat, they're really competively priced IMO.

·
Resident Mechanical Engineer
1,848 Posts
I'm a pretty big advocate for Hotshots after I installed them this past summer and have been running them with my Borla catback. If you're willing to spend the money, there really is no competition. They're the only true equal-length headers available for our cars, and they're already ceramic coated with an optional hi-flow cat. They'll flow better than other headers (dyno proven years ago), and they have a pretty good reputation as having a quality product within the community.

I would say the ranking goes something like: Hotshot - DC Sports - Key Performance - SSAutochrome - OBX / other knockoffs

·
Registered
631 Posts
hot shots are better because they have equal length tubes so there is better air flow. At most it would be 2-3 HP difference. You would only see a noticable difference if you have high boost. From what i've been told the best way to go is buy SSA headers then have them ceramic coated by jethot. Total it costs about $25 more than dc headers.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Get hotshots, nothing to worry about and worth every penny.
Also, I'll help you install them if you like (but only if you get hotshots! j/k..) :3_winkthu

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toschinator said:
Get hotshots, nothing to worry about and worth every penny.
Also, I'll help you install them if you like (but only if you get hotshots! j/k..) :3_winkthu

I'll definately keep that in mind! Intake and catback installs are one thing, but i've read some pretty scary horror stories about bungled header installs on this site. Could definately use the help!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i got the Dc headers and no fitment issues. Didnt have to extend any o2 wires. i have heard of fitmen issues with every make of headers. Its a car so i live by the saying "u get what u pay for"

·
Banned
240 Posts
my ssa headers had a little fitment issue at the oilpan. but I'd say probably every set is different, as others post that they fit well. but without a cat they do sound like ***.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I've installed Hotshot's SSA's & OBx's. Only once did I have a fitment issue with SSA. The front flange was hitting the oil pan. Too close for comfort. Also the O2 bung on the front tube was angled wrong, causing the the sensor to hit the heat sheild on the starter. Myself I have Hostshots-IMO best around ceramic coated, hi flow cat, perfect fit. They look as good today as they did 2 yrs ago when I installed them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
xxSandmaNxx said:

Thanks for any input!
all after market headers will give you about the same boost in power. hotshots are nice but expensive. and you can buy them with the cat. but fyi my friend ordered his 3 months ago and still hasnt gotten them. im not gonna say what site he got them from or anything. but im just saying thats something to consider. ive heard about the cali laws on emissions. my advice is stay with dc. it will save you money and time. and they are about the same anyways.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hotshot makes a great product, or at least they did make a great product. If you can get some used, go for it, but good luck getting a new set.

Mine have been on backorder since May 26 and the company seems to be falling apart.

Head on over to the FlyRyde sponsor forum to read all about it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Mid_West said:
Hotshot makes a great product, or at least they did make a great product. If you can get some used, go for it, but good luck getting a new set.

Mine have been on backorder since May 26 and the company seems to be falling apart.

Head on over to the FlyRyde sponsor forum to read all about it.
This is what I have been wondering about. I was going to buy some HotShots very soon, but now it sounds like that is not a possibility. I am wondering if SSA is the next best choice. DC sounds good, but I want a cat and I would rather not cut into the ceramic coating to add a cat. This kinda sucks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SSA does not have a cat... the "race cat" is just an empty test pipe.

That is irritating that you can't get hotshots... you think another company will pick up their slack?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
xxSandmaNxx said:
SSA does not have a cat... the "race cat" is just an empty test pipe.

That is irritating that you can't get hotshots... you think another company will pick up their slack?
The race cat is easily modified to add a cat.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I emaild Hotshot and about a couple of weeks ago they responed that they were back in stock but you can only get them from Hotshot directly. For whatever reason they are not currently filling outside distributors orders.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts