Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a rattle sounding like its coming from inside the tranny and it stops whenever I push in on the clutch...im getting ready to probably rip the tranny out, so what did I do wrong on the instal?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I had the same thing with my install on my 02 XD when I had it, was a low knock knock knock, more audible when in gear then in neutral. Dont know what happened either, I would be interested to know though. You installed the Cluthmasters Stg 3 right?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slow 2K2GT said:
I had the same thing with my install on my 02 XD when I had it, was a low knock knock knock, more audible when in gear then in neutral. Dont know what happened either, I would be interested to know though. You installed the Cluthmasters Stg 3 right?
noits onlyin nuetral

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i was sober

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is it when the clutch pedal is towards the top or the bottom? If it's towards the top, it's the throwout bearing. If it's towards the bottom, it's the pilot bearing.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Every stage 3 I've heard has it. It sounds like a diesel pick up. I think it's normal for that clutch. If not, then most of the stage 3's I've heard were all having problems.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually i found out, that it does rattle when im in gear too, i just couldnt hear over my exhaust

·
Registered
316 Posts
I believe the rattle is most likely the a light weight flywheel issue. Most lighter flywheels don't have dampeners. Therefore you get the diesel like chirp. Correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have listened to Mental Tastes car with a stage 4 and lightweight, and his doesnt rattle like mine

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine rattles really bad too...after doing some research i found it is due to the lightweight flywheel. The original dual mass serves as a harmonic balancer as well. The lightweight flywheels do not have that function. It's a tradeoff...performance vs noise. Mine has rattled since i got it...have well over 40K on it. no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i wonder why bens doesnt rattle?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
mine started to rattle after about 7K miles on the stage2 clutch and new flywheel,,,,,,no actual problems,,,just noise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the thing with clutches, you cant touch the friction material at all. if anytihng gets on the material it will slip on your flywheel and cause hot spots...this is whats causing your rattle...trust me on this one i just graduated from automotive technology and my last class was manual trannys and clutches...

·
Registered
333 Posts
BlackTibGt said:
the thing with clutches, you cant touch the friction material at all. if anytihng gets on the material it will slip on your flywheel and cause hot spots...this is whats causing your rattle...trust me on this one i just graduated from automotive technology and my last class was manual trannys and clutches...

Are you talking about the friction material on the disc, or the flywheel's surface?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah, and my factory never rattled and it was toasted and full of hot spots so what gives?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
yeah, and my factory never rattled and it was toasted and full of hot spots so what gives?
exactly,,,,same here. Perhaps he's got the parts mixed up ? Cause hot spots didn't cause my stocker to rattle,,,but it was severly burned,,,,personally I think it's the lightened flywheel making the noise like timgeorgi said.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah but mine is not disengaging either all the way, so maybe that could have something to do with the rattle as well

1 - 20 of 49 Posts