Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or whatever that area is called, where the rear seatr belt attaches to.
i know we all have rattles, anyone expalin this one?
sounds like I have a few dinner plates in my trunk when i hit a bump.
I pulled the cover off, made sure things were tight all looks good.
i know something is loose.
i know it comes from that area, but cant locate it.
anyone ever have a noise like this?

·
Slortchus Maximus Non-Adminus
7,099 Posts
it could be the shock itself, i had the front passenger side shock go out and everytime i hit a bump it would make a loud "thunk" sound.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine does that when it's cold out. The dinner plate explanation is right on. I don't know if it's the hatch glass, or the privacy panel, or the trunk release springs, but like I said it only seems to happen when it's really cold out. Don't know why...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wish, mine happens all the time.
took jack/ tire, cover everything out....still made the noise.
i'm just happy i'm not the only one who has this noise. my roads are crap, maybe
it is the shock, i just figured if one of those goes bad wouldnt that side be lower then the rest of the car?
guess the springs would hold it up.....maybe.

·
Registered
406 Posts
To me, the dinner plate noise does not suggest blown shocks. Worn shocks makes more of a thunking/clunking noise as someone mentioned above. But if you've checked everything else, it could be. Have you checked under the car for a loose swaybar endlink, maybe? Don't know what else to tell ya.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the same problem since I bought the car. It sounds like its coming from the hatch glass but thats not it. The colder it gets, the more noises. Not sure what it is, but if anyone finds out, I would love to know.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, i lookied under the car, but keep in mind i do, and dont knwo what I'm doing.
you are right, blown shock would be a thud.
this actually sounds like my tire my tire iron is clanging in the spare....but i took those out.
and you can tell it comes from more of the pass. back wheel, like something is loose, but i can t find it!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
yup. same here...it is nothing really noisy, but you can hear it with the radio turned off. It does get progressively worse the colder it gets.

I am starting to think that Hyundai done a little cost corner cutting with the winter weather/cold temperature testing on the Tib!

My advice would be one of two things...either Dynomat/BrownBread, or turn the stereo up...the latter option is much cheaper! Works for me anyway!

;)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
mdoggytib said:
rear sway bar link ends you say?
as soon as i find out what that is i'm going to check on it.
is that expensive?
26$ a side.

mine was doing that too. actually they may just be loose. (even though those bolts are usually rust welded on).

worste case it might be that your sway bar has widened the hole on the strut tower.

my car also made that clunk when my strut tower center bolt was not torqued all the way.

here are some pics that may help you
the first is the endlink

this is the strut tower. the bolt that was loose on mine was the top one (30-40)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
OH the inside of the end links is a 14mm bolt..they are a biotch. good luck

how i found it was standing in my trunk, with both legs with one foot on each side of the car. then i rocked it back and forth. if the rocking motion makes the rattle its something with the sway bar. if up and down make the rattle its probably the strut

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
holy sh*t you are amazing.
i can not wait to crawl under and see.
where do you get these pictures? you are by far on eof the best how to 'ers .....
complete with diagrams.
i hope this is it.
thanks guy's!

·
Registered
419 Posts
if it is the sway bar link, why does it sound so much worse when its cold?? in the summertime, mine doesnt rattle at all. i have new struts on the rearand i know my linkpin is tight cause i put drop springs on. mine sounds like its right inside the car. its VERY annoying

·
Registered
1 Posts
if it is the sway bar link, why does it sound so much worse when its cold?? in the summertime, mine doesnt rattle at all. i have new struts on the rearand i know my linkpin is tight cause i put drop springs on. mine sounds like its right inside the car. its VERY annoying
Hello..may i ask you please? Does anyone have found solution for that anoying dinner plate sound on bumps? I have new suspension and all rear wheel stuff..but there is still annoying soundnon bumps from rear panel door? I dont knkw hot to fix it . Thanks a lot for answer

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a weird rattle in the rear even after replacing the struts, have you replaced your rear sway bar bushings? I replaced mine and the rattle was gone. What happens is the bushings get worn on the rear sway bar and it kind of bounces up and down making a weird annoying noise due to the bushings being expanded and can't function correctly. I got mine off eBay for less than 20$. Fixed the problem. Idk if you have replaced them, but this is all I got.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts