Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I replaced my oem clutch + flywheel with the VHR CLutchkit which has a light flywheel included. To the fact, that i do not have any mod's, that make the car sound louder (no cai, no racing exhaust, etc.) i noticed a gentle rattling noice, when i drive. Excpecially when it's dark, and there is not much traffic. And you only hear it, when you do not accelerate.
What i think is, that this is the noise from the gearbox, because there is no dual mass flywheel in there anymore, that compensates this noise. But i am not an expert, so i wanted to hear, if you think the same, or have some experience with this.

What i also noticed is, that this rattling noise is getting pretty loud, if i drive the car in a too high gear at a low speed. For example i drive at lower 1500rpm with the 3rd gear. My oppinion is, that the new clutch does have so much grip, that the motor has to push hard. But as i said before, this is only my suggestions, so please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi there.

I replaced my oem clutch + flywheel with the VHR CLutchkit which has a light flywheel included. To the fact, that i do not have any mod's, that make the car sound louder (no cai, no racing exhaust, etc.) i noticed a gentle rattling noice, when i drive. Excpecially when it's dark, and there is not much traffic. And you only hear it, when you do not accelerate.
What i think is, that this is the noise from the gearbox, because there is no dual mass flywheel in there anymore, that compensates this noise. But i am not an expert, so i wanted to hear, if you think the same, or have some experience with this.

What i also noticed is, that this rattling noise is getting pretty loud, if i drive the car in a too high gear at a low speed. For example i drive at lower 1500rpm with the 3rd gear. My oppinion is, that the new clutch does have so much grip, that the motor has to push hard. But as i said before, this is only my suggestions, so please let me know what you think.
mine also did the same thing after new clutch and flywheel and has for 20k now was told its normal when you change out the dual mass and I have had no issues running an Alpine stage 2 for 2 years now

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
No it's the flywheel. I have no rattle (at least I can't hear it) with my chromoly one . The aluminum flywheel amplifies the sound aparently from what I was told. Very common.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@ al351965

Did you also notice this?:

@ dlanes

I do not have a aluminium flywheel. I have a light weight forged one.

·
Registered
579 Posts
its the TOB...without the additional dampening fom the dualmass flywheel...the bearing knocks on the shift fork....its normal when replacing with a lightweight flywheel.

·
Registered
282 Posts
no its not the TOB or cause of the flywhell well kind of... look at the way the motor spins there is a dummy shaft that changes the direction of rotation. its made from hi grade plastic. you hear metal on plastic. its no big deal it wont hurt anything. its just no weight left(light weight flywheel) to compress the plastic shaft so you here eveything

·
Registered
579 Posts
we could argue about this all day...the point is that its not a non issue...dont worry about it

yeah sorry i just saw your location...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem.

I am not really afraid of the noise, i just wanted to know what the reason is. Also it is funny to hear all the theories. ;)
The one thing, that i do not like is, when i get the wrong gear (3d gear under 1500rpm), and the car sound like a diesel one. You get the people looking at you.

·
Registered
579 Posts
yeah well....welcome to underpowered gasoline motors.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Is this the same noise im hearing when i let out of my clutch in neutral? Sort of a rattleing but its coming from the transmission from what i can tell and not the TOB.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Well if you put it that way it could be your output shaft bearing. I had mine go a year ago, shortly after my 4th gear exploded.

If you hear it in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed but not when the pedal is pressed it might be the output shaft bearing.

I have had two lightweight fidanza flywheels and from time to time I hear the same knocking from my tranny, but if your output shaft bearing is going its a distinct dry sound...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do not hear it in neutral.

Only when i drive, an do not accelerate. For example driving down a hill.
What do you meand with "dry" sound?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I get a rattleing noise but from what i can tell its the output shaft bearing. Any guess how long it will last?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts