Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know if this is normal with the i4 cvvt engines, but i have this weird rattling noise coming from my engine... when i turn my car on and let it idle, it sounds like there's a ball bearing or something rattling in my engine.. i changed my oil 1000 miles ago with full synthetic royal purple... but actually, the rattling was there before my frist oil change... i would take it to the dealer, but i have so much electrical **** in my engine bay, that they might blame everything on that...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I get a rattling like noise too.. it's not obvious but minor. Sounds like it's maybe coming from the belts of pulleys or something. I got it checked out and seemed to be nothing. Dunno what it is.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Is it a rattle or does it sound internal? Because alot of the Beta 2's ,including mine, that I have had experience with have some light valve/lifter tick when cold. It is normal(annoying nonetheless) but is a result of using solid lifters instead of hydraulic lifters. Once things heat up the noise goes away, correct?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah... after i run the car hard around a couple of corners, the sound dies down..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
it could just be the ticking of the fuel injectors... i thought mine was rattling, looked around the belts, then realized it was just the fuel injectors.

you notice it ALOT more when you take off your engine cover.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same problem with my tibbi, when i took it up to the hyundai place they continued to tell me that its normal and all four cylenders have that issue, and that its not a problem. the mechanic did tell me that it was the fuel injectors, like komokazi said, and that it was something that didnt need to be fixed or worked on. I can honestly say it gets worst as the miles start to pile on...........:(..........only complaint i have on the car!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine does the same thing, when it warms up the problem goes away so not worried about it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
it's normal. Just run it lightly for a few miles and it'll go away. Not sure what it is but i asked about it cause i had someone test drive a 03 for me and he said it had ticking. But my 06 doesn't have that problem yet, just idles a lil high when i start it up cause it's cold.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes, with my Elantra before I got the Tiburon, I had the engine cover off and the stock intake replaced with a cone air filter and I noticed some definite noise. Some fuel injector ticking, and upon trade-in, actually had some lifter noise as well. >_>

·
Registered
155 Posts
its the fuel injectors. I had mines checked out by uncle whos a certified hyundai mechanic and he already told me it was the injectors but I told him to check anyways and he found nothing wrong. I only use synthetic oil in my motor, it has 38000 miles and I push that car to the limits. And so far no problems so just try not to think about it too much. if it starts getting loud then your probably looking at rod knock.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been getting some rattling at idle time even after running the car for awhile. I agree with everyone with the actual engine ticking and it going away after warming up. But if it sticks around after warm up it is most likely the hood. I have talked to a few other tib owners in my area and we all seem to have a problem with hood rattle at idle

·
Registered
4 Posts
i used to have a dodge neon 95 and i had the same problem....i checked the engine and nothing wrong with it... not till i had to change the tires and i decided to go under it and check stuff out.... the thing that was wrattling was the metal sheet on top of the catalist converter... and i believe the converter was also busted...so yeah i never got to fixing it so it still makes same noise, then when it warms up it stops... hope it helps.. ps now i got a 03 2.0 4l and love it lol :3_smile:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have some rattling coming from my engine bay... but it gets louder when I'm going uphill (WEIRD)... when the engine is running in below 2500 rpms aprox. And this happens whether the car is cold or warm...
At the begining I though it could be related to overheating because it started to sound like that right before my radiator blew up... but I got a new rad and same thing...

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Holy Old Thread Batman!

Get a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can isolate where the noise is actually coming from. A rattle that gets louder with engine load is never a good thing.. ;)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
haha!

Well to do that I'll have to get the hood out and have a mechanic sitting on top of the engine while I drive the car around... sounds like a MYTHBUSTERS experiment... LOL.

Well the rattling/ticking is almost everywhere I go but when the car is in a inclined position and rpm below 2500, you can here it better.... or should i say worse... =S

I've read a bunch of post of people having this type of noises coming out of their I4's ... they talk about valve springs... oil pans... catalytic converters... even CHANGING THE ENGINE... but hell, I dont know where to start. =S

·
Registered
955 Posts
couldnt it also be the oil filter they are using. Thought I heard that Hyundai has a special oil filter for our cars. The factory oil filter has a special drain back valve in it, and the only two oil fitlers that have that are the oem one and a K&N one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts