Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know, i dropped my car a few weeks ago, see here, and now that ive had it on the roads, pretty bumpy ones, i have noticed that there is something bumping around in the front right area. I wouldnt think that this is normal, but what do i know? the struts i used are slightly used, i have eibach springs, the 1.2" drop i think, so i dunno. I checked all my nuts and bolts, everything is tight...any ideas? do i already have a blown strut? my punishment fro trying to save some cash? any ideas guys and gals?

·
Nick-Yes, I have boost!
3,317 Posts
You should always get aftermarket struts and springs and put them on at the same time (or just do it right and get coilovers). If you only get springs, it'll put a lot more pressure on your struts and they WILL die and need to be replaced.

Someone with Eibach springs will need to pipe in to give their experience, but you really should replace your struts and either buy them now or start setting money aside to do it.

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should always get aftermarket struts and springs and put them on at the same time (or just do it right and get coilovers). If you only get springs, it'll put a lot more pressure on your struts and they WILL die and need to be replaced.

Someone with Eibach springs will need to pipe in to give their experience, but you really should replace your struts and either buy them now or start setting money aside to do it.
i bought the struts and springs together, used. so both things have the same wear on them right now...thanks for speaking up

·
Registered
299 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from the wheel well? If you have any quick splices and the like behind your dash tie them up, mine used to rattle a lot. I think you'd have a lot more problems than rattling if you had completely blown a strut.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
well first off check the obvious. (the 3 insulator strut nuts and center nut on top) make sure they are torqued to 35 ft-lbs. If the noise continues, check the torque on the swaybar endlink nuts, once again 35 ft-lbs. If noise continues, the top two coils on the pro-kit, the part of the progressive spring, do touch under compression. You can call eibach and they will send you the rubber tubing to put around the coil, like the rear does, for free if you can prove proof of purchase. I had to do this, as I got some noise over speed bumps.

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure it's coming from the wheel well? If you have any quick splices and the like behind your dash tie them up, mine used to rattle a lot. I think you'd have a lot more problems than rattling if you had completely blown a strut.
thats why i dont think its blown...as far as quick splices, now that you say that...im'a go check something. thanks

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just zip-tied my angel eyes' power inverter...that could be the culprit...but i cant test this theory until i get out of work at 6...so i will let you all know...thanks for the quick responses

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
well i just saw that you have the kjb endlinks, and I heard alot of people get noise with them. A quick way to check is put your stock endlink back on.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I get the same noise with my Megan Racing springs. My problem is the spring coils are rubbing and bouncing off of eachother on bumps I go over while going slow. I don't know how to fix the issue so if anyone has ideas let us know.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
well i just saw that you have the kjb endlinks, and I heard alot of people get noise with them. A quick way to check is put your stock endlink back on.
they can indeed get noisy, but i think he just has them in the rear. at least i hope so... they dont have enough pivot action for the front. ive broken them twice, and reinstalled them twice and come to the conclusion that theyre just not a good idea for the front.

keith, shake the car from the outside; if its something in the suspension youre more likely to hear it standing outside the car. thats how i pinpointed my rattling from the stock endlinks.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

meh. only super aggressive 2'' drops kill the struts at a significant rate. a 1.2'' prokit is not going to cause the struts to fail that fast. it will reduce the strut life, but not by a huge rate as some people seem to think. theres still a decent bit of travel with a mild drop like that and as long as youre not banging off the bumpstops all the time, its usually not a huge issue. the main reason to get the aftermarket struts is to gain the added performance capability.

coilovers are great but to someone who is not going to the track, or planning on running some kind of wild wheel and tire combo which requires that amount of adjustment theyre kinda overkill.

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get the same noise with my Megan Racing springs. My problem is the spring coils are rubbing and bouncing off of eachother on bumps I go over while going slow. I don't know how to fix the issue so if anyone has ideas let us know.
yeah, i dont think that is my issue...whatever it is, sounds like a "loose bouncing" if that makes any sense. its not really something banging something else solidly, more like something being jostled around, but thanks!

they can indeed get noisy, but i think he just has them in the rear. at least i hope so... they dont have enough pivot action for the front. ive broken them twice, and reinstalled them twice and come to the conclusion that theyre just not a good idea for the front.

keith, shake the car from the outside; if its something in the suspension youre more likely to hear it standing outside the car. thats how i pinpointed my rattling from the stock endlinks.
thanks james, will try that.

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: ok, so the rattling, clanging, whatever is still there. I took both front wheels off today to see if anything, anything at all was loose...nothing. the only thing i could get to make a noise was the CV joint. it wasnt moving all over the place or even making that much noise, but there was minimal movement...is that normal? I would imagine that if a 3K plus pound car bouncing around it may make some more noise...any thoughts? hyundai techs feel free to speak up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts