Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was messing around with the rear driverside seatbelt housing and all the other stuff around it to get to the bolts in order to take off the suspension for coilovers. My seatbelt retracted on itself so I took it apart and now have everything unassembled. There are about 4 or 5 different pieces that help everything work. I can't figure out how to get it put back together. I also looked on the hmaservice website and didn't find anything helpful or useful. Anyone have any idea on what to do?

·
Registered
971 Posts
instead of taking it apart, it would have been easier to slowly pull it out.
just keep jerking at it lightly and it comes out cm by cm.
as for putting it together, no clue. good luck with that.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Well since you took it apart I would suggest opening up the other to look at the inside and see if you can put the other back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just took the other side off and was sitting in my trunk thinking about this whole situation. Realized that I am just going to take the whole back seat out, remove the seatbelt, then go buy a new one. Easiest situation.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Just took the other side off and was sitting in my trunk thinking about this whole situation. Realized that I am just going to take the whole back seat out, remove the seatbelt, then go buy a new one. Easiest situation.
Yeah I messed mine up last night when I was doing my springs. Both of my rear seat belts don't retract. lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I messed mine up last night when I was doing my springs. Both of my rear seat belts don't retract. lol
Ha, that sucks man. O and now that the seatbelt got removed the dome lights, door open, stereo and trunk open light do not come on and my alarm unit on my keychain doesn't work now either.

All this for a simple turn signal replacement. Thanks mom and dad.

·
Rool : Pron Spammer
4,097 Posts
Ha, that sucks man. O and now that the seatbelt got removed the dome lights, door open, stereo and trunk open light do not come on and my alarm unit on my keychain doesn't work now either.

All this for a simple turn signal replacement. Thanks mom and dad.
Sounds like you blew a fuse while working on the seatbelt where the hatch light is. Check the BCM power/transport fuse (inside the yellow cover).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sounds like you blew a fuse while working on the seatbelt where the hatch light is. Check the BCM power/transport fuse (inside the yellow cover).
+1 that's it.

Same thing happened to me. Took two seconds to fix.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Figured out the fuse that was blown. It was the Room LP fuse and not the other one that was mentioned. Now its off to NAPA in the morning to get a new rear seatbelt.

·
Registered
214 Posts
if ur seatbelt ever retracts all the way and u can't get it out what u do is simply make sure it is 100% level and then it will come out again, i put in my strut bar and same issue, so i took the belt off all the way top and bottom mounts, then re mounted just to the strut mounts (that being level) and sure enough it would come back out again....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
if ur seatbelt ever retracts all the way and u can't get it out what u do is simply make sure it is 100% level and then it will come out again, i put in my strut bar and same issue, so i took the belt off all the way top and bottom mounts, then re mounted just to the strut mounts (that being level) and sure enough it would come back out again....
Very interesting... I will have to try that

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
If nothing else.. I will ship you my rear set for 30 dollars.. I tied a knot in them before I removed them... so they couldn't retract...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If nothing else.. I will ship you my rear set for 30 dollars.. I tied a knot in them before I removed them... so they couldn't retract...
I am waiting for the dealership to call me back to find out how much it will cost for a new belt. If it is too much then I may PM you UnHoly. By the way my car is an 07, would this make any difference or are the seatbelts in the back set up with the same configuration as earlier models?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sounds like an interior forum type of question.

Unholy, smart idea tying a knot. Too bad such common sense things elude most people (including myself...lol)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I put that in my DIY for springs (tie a knot in belt) lol. You hear about people all the time have their belts retract fully and then are at a loss what to do.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, sometimes the simplest stuff gets away from us at some point.

O, so I went to the dealership this morning to get a quote on a new belt and it came out to be $134 and some change. I think I am just going to do a two seat conversion and remove the seatbelts on both sides.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
well, if your interested, my back belts are clean and ready to go.. the rear seats belts have remained unchanged from 2003 to present

·
Registered
1 Posts
well, if your interested, my back belts are clean and ready to go.. the rear seats belts have remained unchanged from 2003 to present
I just changed my rear struts and seatbelt locked and couldn't get unlocked so we ended up taking it apart. The pieces went everywhere can't find a way to get them back. It's where my child sits. Any idea besides buying new? We have an 04 tib GT. We checked online for help and was sent here

·
Administrator
8,985 Posts
I just changed my rear struts and seatbelt locked and couldn't get unlocked so we ended up taking it apart. The pieces went everywhere can't find a way to get them back. It's where my child sits. Any idea besides buying new? We have an 04 tib GT. We checked online for help and was sent here
You are pretty much SOL on reassembling the mechanism. Yes, if you take them out, tying a knot with the belt part way out is great idea before unmounting.
Having the system level when trying to pull the belt out (same as with Subaru and others).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts