Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Rear Sway Bar Install

DIY: 
27K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  hcriddick21 
#1 · (Edited)
Installing the Progressive Rear Sway Bar with Pictures

Ok. As you all know there isn't a write up for this. Here is my first chance to do one. Ok well the instructions that came with it was : Lift car, Take tire off, remove old replace with new: //// Seriously wtf lol So here you go with the tools you need:

Make sure you have all your tools with you: I kept getting up and having to find the parts....

Time to complete: 30 minutes with clean up

Tools needed:
Lift
Air gun
Attachment to air gun to take off tires
Wheel lock key ( if applicable )
12mm and 14mm sockets
Ratchet
Grease Gun ( I didnt trust that little thing of grease it came with )

Directions.

First off lift your car: Enough for you to get under. About 2 feet was good enough for movement for me.

Remove tires:

Remove 14mm nut from old bar:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: DIY:Installing Progressive Rear Sway: Pics

Next remove all 4 12mm screws:

Take out old bar:

Old bar on left Progressive on the right

The difference in size and quality

Next apply grease to inside of brushing and apply onto the same place as old one to the new one

to this

#3 · (Edited)

Now get back under and shimmy the bar in to original spot and attach the 4 original screws:

Place back on the grr lol what is that called:

Now I know there is a piece for sale by a member here to reinforce the thing but not sure where it is:

Now it will not look right until you tighten it

View from outside:

Replace tire and lower car.

HAVE FUN!!! Hope this is helpful... BTW feel good until another car comes in and out classes you... bah

#5 ·

O this thing is great omfg lol ok official performance feedback:

The Progressive Sway bar went on perfectly.
As for driving. I took it around corners and felt solid all the way thru. My rear end feels like it wants to swing out a little more than what it did. This is perfect because I felt like i was dragging @ss the entire time. I feel neutral all in all. Thank you very much for this product.

#6 ·

+1 rep from me, Good DIY!!

#7 ·

Hey... just so you know...

You don't need a lift, an air gun, or to take off your tires lol.

I did mine on the ground, lifted the car by the rear tow hook and ten minutes later, was very impressed with the performance upgrade lol.

(So impressed that I did a 540 degree turn by accident and proceeded to remedy that issue with eibach struts/espelir springs lol.)

#8 ·

Hey... just so you know...

You don't need a lift, an air gun, or to take off your tires lol.

I did mine on the ground, lifted the car by the rear tow hook and ten minutes later, was very impressed with the performance upgrade lol.

(So impressed that I did a 540 degree turn by accident and proceeded to remedy that issue with eibach struts/espelir springs lol.)
spinning cars around is fun huh? When you mean too. Spun a 180 on a two lane in a focus at 95mph. Managed to bring it back straight. Dont know how though. Rep on the 540 and the DIY.

#13 ·
Re: DIY: Rear Sway Bar Install

Nice write-up.

Couple of things I do when doing front or rear bar swaps.

1-I use ramps. It gets me enough clearance and keeps loads off the bar ends compared to letting the axles hang off the bar.
2-I use a couple of thick washers where the bolts go through the chassis mounts. This helps prevent them bending under hard cornering loads.
3-I use either grease or Teflon thread tape (wrap the bar with at least a single layer where the mount sits) where the bar goes through the chassis mounts. It allows the bar to rotate a little freer.
4-Never-Seize on all hardware when reassembling. I use the silver type.

#19 ·
Re: DIY: Rear Sway Bar Install

This does NOT change the alignment, if it was good before it will still be good once the bar is installed.

Yah...X 2---> Where did you buy the rear sway bar from ...How about end links and hardware?:::dunno:

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Tony:cool:
Stock type endlinks can be had from RockAuto.com. I would get the ones made by Moog as they are a little thicker and seem to have better balljoints.

#20 ·
Still nobody says where the bar came from...

#21 ·
The progress bar has been out of production for several years now. The only way to get one is to find a used one.

New you can look for Eibach or Ultra Racing, not sure of any others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.