Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking at wheels that are 18x8.5 +35 on the front with a 225 40 18 tire but my concern is the back wheels are 18x9.5 +35 with a 265 35 18, is there any way those back wheels would fit?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rear stagger on a fwd car is all for looks and does not help performance. Putting such wide tires on a car without much power can actually slow you down and hurt fuel economy because of rolling resistance. But if looks matter the most, go for it I guess. Unsure if they'll fit.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Gonna be problematic even for those fronts without some fender rolling:

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I’m looking at wheels that are 18x8.5 +35 on the front with a 225 40 18 tire but my concern is the back wheels are 18x9.5 +35 with a 265 35 18, is there any way those back wheels would fit?
I run 245/35r18 at all 4 corners. 18x8.5 et 45 front (16mm more poke than stock) lowered about an inch and no rubbing ever. Rear is 18x8.5 et 38 (23mm more poke than stock). Also dropped an inch. Cambered in just a bit to clear lips. Won't roll them because it mildly affects the fender and body line and I cannot have that. Bought it almost 20 years ago because of the body lines. I will not compromise that.
So I ran 17mm spacers up front and 22mm spacers in the rear to verify my measurements were accurate before I bought the wheels. Had no issues with 22mm poke in the rear. I could have taken off the tires and milled down a millimeter off the hubs but then I figured between the machine shop and another dismount and mount, I'd likely end up with a scuff or two on the rim.

I see no reason your fronts won't fit poking out 16mm. It won't be flush if that's what your after. I'm old school, I guess. Flush look just throws more dirt down the side of your car. Incidentally, changing your scrub radius by 11 mm will reduce your steering feel and return to center just a bit.

The 265 on a 9.5 on the rear pokes you out 36 mm. Flush for sure but your wheels will be locked against your struts if you are stock. It will not rotate. My rims are 11mm closer to the strut and my tire is only 7mm closer. My tire sidewall is within a 1/4" of the strut front and rear equally. A 9.5 with 35mm offset puts your rim 20 mm closer to strut.

I don't spin tires anymore with the Stage 2 Aline I put in '04 or '05.

Let me know what you end up doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts