Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So google is great and all but it fails to answer a lot of somewhat specific questions. So I'd like to post a thread here with my questions that some of you old timers can chime in on. I'm not terribly experienced and may use the wrong nomenclature here and there

I'm rebuilding an 03 i4. Its been machined, xrayed and so on. It's ready to reassemble.

My first question is how do I orient the camshafts when I reinstall? Like lobe orientation
There is some mild scuffing on the camshaft bearings but it's nothing you can catch a fingernail on. I polished it using motor oil and some metal polishing sand paper. Will this be an issue?
On the head my valves don't move. Ive pushed on them from above and nothing. Am I missing a component like a spring or something?
My pistons have a groove for the valves, which way do I orient them?

More likely to come thank you so much guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Someone feel free to correct me. But I believe Intake valves are bigger therefore the bigger cut out on the top of the piston goes on the intake manifold side.
The cams should have timing marks, these also point towards the back of the engine. Pic is a beta 1 head. Not sure if there’s any difference with beta 2.

Ratchets and Wrenches has some vid on YT of head gasket replacement on an Elantra beta 2 which show cams alignment. Put the crank on TDC then put ur cams in.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Automotive wheel system Engineering

1 - 2 of 2 Posts