Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey jw if anyone has ever gone and tried rebuilding a i4 engine for more power instead of going F/I... I was considering doing such things as porting my exhaust and headers but was also considering a full rebuild. A few friends recommended trying it but I was wondering if anyone who actually OWNED a tibby has done it. Leave any comments or help please

·
Registered
248 Posts
you could regrind your cams, but really with the i4 doing that would yield minimul gains. if you want power, buy a v6, a different car or go f/i. but if you are trying to get the maximum out of your N/A read the sticky here, do all of that, then remove your whole interior haha

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
the 4 bangers beg for boost they r solid motors just go fi its be cheaper and ull get way more power

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, the price was the only question in my mind cause i'd like to do some engine work soon

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i know but i think i need to throw a lot of money into supporting mods before i even put the money towards boost

·
Registered
248 Posts
it will be expensive to rebuild the motor to have it be any decent as a N/A engine for power. if you are going to rebuild it, just put in forged internals, and set it up for a turbo or s/c. thats the best bet, and cheapest way to do this. it sucks but there is no such thing as an I4 N/A with power. unless youre actually from 1920's and used a time machine to get here...then its a friggen rocket ship...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya it was just a suggestion a buddy had. i just cant really wait as long as its gonna take me to save up all the money for boost hahaha

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
the 4 bangers beg for boost they r solid motors just go fi its be cheaper and ull get way more power
He speaks the truth. I have a v6 and for a long time I wanted to do the same by getting the most out of the engine N/A as possible. It is a waste of money when you can just go f/i and push out more horsepower. If you have the money and want to go for a record or something then mod your happy little heart out. The only cars worth keeping N/A IMO are v8's unless you buy something like a 350,370, or a 3.8 Genesis coupe. Pretty much anything that is pushing around 300hp stock without factory f/i.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The best they've done in korea is about 180WHP. that's with very high compression ratio's huge cam's and aftermarket intake manifold + dyno tuning.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The best they've done in korea is about 180WHP. that's with very high compression ratio's huge cam's and aftermarket intake manifold + dyno tuning.
ic... thats why i was asking. i just wanted an idea of how it would turn out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts