Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen allot of talk on here that the basic consensus for a BOV on our cars is to recirculate it instead of venting into the atmosphere, and the reason being that our car has a MAF sensor.

Now, coincidentally, i was reading a magazine today and they were building a custom turbo/intercooler setup for i THINK it was a 240sx which also had a MAF sensor.

Now they said that they were also going to use a recirculating BOV, but then they said that you would actually be able to make more power with bov that vented into the atmosphere and the only real reason they were gonna recirculate it is so that it would be legal (less polution).

So my question is, what would venting the compression into the atmosphere do with our cars becides letting it burn some extra fuel by running rich for a second? That wouldnt do damage would it? Backfiring doesnt seem like a big issue and i dont have any cats that can get ruined and no emmision laws.

So enlighten me on the subject if you would

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody has anything to add?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don’t see how it would increase performance. Care to share how that would be achieved? Im not saying your wrong infact I would like to know more about this to I just don’t see how it could increase performance

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
it wouldn't increase the performance any... all it does is change the way the air is released. one way it releases before it ever gets metered by the maf and the other way is that it is metered then recirculated within the intake and charge pipe. i don't see how that would effect the amount of power the car could make. i could be wrong though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ran my car with and without my BOV recirculating... Without it recirculating it would run extremely rich inbetween shifts and if you hold the clutch down while the BOV is venting the engine would stall. Also it ended up fouling my spark plugs. Now with it recirculating the only difference I noticed was that 1. It doesn't run rich inbetween shifts anymore. 2. The BOV is a little quieter...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
cant remember the name and i dont have the mag with me..

it's the first i've heard of that as well, which is why i asked

but they didnt say that you would get more power just by venting the air, they just said that it would be POSSIBLE to make more power with that setup, as in maybe with the recirculating BOV there's some kind of limit where the BOV would stick or something i dont know...

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
i'm sure they were probably leading to the fact that if they vented atmosphere they'd be using a map setup instead of mas and people seem to think you can make more power with map because maf's are limited... which is ********

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm gonna scan the article later and post it up, and the magazine was called HCI (Hot compact imports)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTea said:
When will people stop reading these ricer magazines, and taking them as an authority.
when you grow the hell up....

wtf was that dumbass comment good for....

·
Banned
312 Posts
Equally as helpful as yours. Those magazines are filled with garbage ideas, that are not reviewed by anybody intelligent.... and that is the reason why there is the amount of rice in this country.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Im betting SUPERSTREET thats pretty noob

·
Registered
986 Posts
Mahonroy said:
I ran my car with and without my BOV recirculating... Without it recirculating it would run extremely rich inbetween shifts and if you hold the clutch down while the BOV is venting the engine would stall. Also it ended up fouling my spark plugs. Now with it recirculating the only difference I noticed was that 1. It doesn't run rich inbetween shifts anymore. 2. The BOV is a little quieter...

bingo! exactly what i was going to say hehe glad i read the whole thread this time. :3_winkthu

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ya Recirc FTW
all the Euro cars do it.
I would always run it

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SlammedTibby said:
Im betting SUPERSTREET thats pretty noob
lol do you have some sort of grudge against them so that you had to write it in your sig?

and thanks for the input guys, i already knew what the reasoning was for the recirc but i just wanted to make sure.....

I think i;ve read before that there was a way to get the "woosh" sound anyway with the recirc bov?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
MoogLe said:
I think i;ve read before that there was a way to get the "woosh" sound anyway with the recirc bov?
You still get it, the sound is just quieter then before so if you had a quiet BOV you may not be able to hear it but if you get a nice loud one your good to go

1 - 20 of 24 Posts