Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please post a quick DIY on how to remove the rear bumper?....i need to paint my diffuser.....can someone let me know?......thanks

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?....i just need to know which screws or whatever it is to remove....

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump for info........lol

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do i just remove the 3 screws on the edge of the bumper?........and the ones on the sides......in the corner where the exhaust is?....and pry or what?.......i'm done sanding my rear diffuser.....but i cant completely paint it without removing the bumper.......any help?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re: bumper

bump.......do i have to remove the wall inside the wheel well or something also?/.........i just need to know which areas have screws that i need to remoev...and when do i start to pry the bumper off?

·
Registered
981 Posts
lol no one hasnt responded yet, those basterds! wish i knew but i dont

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know...lol...my cars outside with the diffuser all sanded down and everything...lol.......i removed all the visible sccrews i could see...but i still can't pry the bumper off.....

i'm just waiting on some help so i can go paint this thing...lol....

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think im just gonna take off my exhaust tips and paint like that......with the car on jacks or something..lol...

im starting to think most people painted their diffusers with the bunmper on..

its gonna get too windy and cold in a little bit......i think im just gonna do that...lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wait for a second,

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
haha, no responses. i dont know either, but i know a couple people that left their bumper on and it turned out good

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think trevor is checking or something!....yes....THANK YOU MAN!...i'll send you 1,000 bucks in the mail....

lol

ye....that's what i was gonna do..leave it on.....but i tried to mask it off...and i couldnt even get the masking tape on there properly...it's too tight of an area to put the tape on...so i was thinking taking it off would be easier...plus.....im sort of new to the painting thing......and i probably would've ended up painting my whole hatch or something...lo.l....

·
Registered
270 Posts
1) Inside your hatch area.
a) remove the plastic piece between the tail lights. There's 2 bolts near the bottom it. a 12mm if I remember correctly. Remove those and all the plastic. It just pops off.
b) inside the corners (behind stock sub mount, and near jack stowage) there are 3 nuts holding each tail light in place. Remove the nuts, then PUSH ON THE RUBBER NIPPLES (you'll see what I'm talking about when you get in there) to pop the tails out. Remove the bulbs, and set the tails aside.

2) Outside the car
a)on the top of the bumper. you will see 2 plastic snap fasteners on each side. Use the special tool if you have one, or a screwdriver if you don't.
b) at the top rear of the wheel wells is a screw that holds the front of the rear bumper in place. These come out.

If I missed anything, I apologize, as I am doing this from a 3 month old memory. With practice, you will be 20 minutes off, and 20 minutes on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
seedweed23 said:
i think trevor is checking or something!....yes....THANK YOU MAN!...i'll send you 1,000 bucks in the mail....
...lo.l....

That's not necessary. That's what these forums are supposed to be for, right? THE HYUNDAI HIVE MIND!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.......

i've been waiting for ages ........i removed all the exterior pieces.....i just need to remove the bolts inside the trunk....thanks man...i appreciate it....i'll post pics when im done with teh painting......

·
Registered
270 Posts
the snap fasteners are where the taillight covers you remove are. took me a while the first time as well. and you're welcome.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was gonna go that.......but i couldnt mask it off properly...it was difficult to go around the muffler...etc....

got the bumper off........for the first coat....are you supposed to lightly cover the entire surface.....?...or can there be a few black spots ?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i removed the bumper to paint my diffuser, i don't know how anyone could have done a good job sanding a prepping the tight areas around the exhaust without removing it. but anyway, since i have two tiburons ive done this twice.

off the top of my head... remove the garnish that covers the trunk latch. remove the spare tire panel, remove the carpeting in the trunk, remove all the panels that cover the rear tail lights and jack. remove the tail lights, there are FOUR (two sets of two) for each side of the bumper on the inside of the trunk thats a total of EIGHT screws inside the trunk. if you have the subwoofer from infinity you also need to remove that to get to them on the left side. there are a few plastic screws hidden by each tail light and a few across the top of the bumper where the trunk sits and maybe 3 more under the diffuser. that's it. after removing all hardware gently pull the bumper off and untwist the liscense place lights. then use masking tape and tape the crash foam in place for when it goes back on. when putting it back on i suggest having a second person help hold it in place. it can be annoying. i have have done it myself but it wants to pop out on one side when you push the other in and it also insures it wont drop and scratch your newly painted diffuser.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
if you havent painted yet, the first coat does NOT need to completely cover the diffuser, it should look like a light dusting. its always better to spray too little than too much. if you spray too much it drips and you'll never get the drips out unless you stop and sand them and basically start over. just go real light, wait the recommended time between coats and spray again until its plenty coated, wait another hour and do the clear coat a few times. there is also the issue of blending the new paint with the old but it really doesnt matter since the transition really cannot be seen. over time it way flake a little between the two different paints if not blended properly but it wont ever be noticable without crawling under the car.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the help everyone!!!!!!!.....i've successfully completed the job.....

there are a few spots on the diffuser that ran just a little bit....so there's a few uneven areaas on the diffuser.......but you have to go up close to notice them.....

i just put on 2 layers of clear....waiting for second layer to dry......and i'm gonna add one or 2 more.....i'll post pics when i'm done.....

also...while waiting for it to dry......i was curious as to how it would sound...so i took my two mufflers off....and dammnnn...that thing is loud...i might consider just running straight pipes and weld the stock tips on the end....cause it sounded pretty nice...

by the way.......how do i go about correcting the uneven spots.....i might do this like next weekend or something...cause i dont wanna do it again..lol.....but will i have to sand most of the paint off and start over or what?..i hope its possible with the clear on there..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts