Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you ripped guys have any regrets using this sds on this platform?

I'm pretty familiar with their stuff, just not the 2.7. The alpin stuff seems to be the choice here, but there are a few ripped ones too. Any comments or experiences GOOD/BAD!! :2_biggrin

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but i have heard of alot more ripp guys run into blown engines and motor problems than alpine guys. I believe the ripp s/c is realyl tricky to fuel tune. I'd stick to alpine or NGM. There are definitely people that have ripp set ups that run fine but I have personally known two people that killed their motor from ripps s/c.

·
Registered
888 Posts
We are taking over the RIPP SDS platform and will be re-releasing the kit with a few modifications away from RIPP's original design in order to make it safer, simpler to tune, and more reliable. Happy to entertain any questions you have either by PM, phone (i'll give you my cell), or thread in our sponsor forum.

R&D will begin pretty soon on this and it will have the potential to yield more power than any other system currently available on the 2.7 platform. Exciting stuff!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Or you could ask people that have run 12's with the V6 what setup they use. lmao... None are ripp sds cars.

All are NGM cars.

Haters bring it im gonna lmfao at you.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Boostology said:
We are taking over the RIPP SDS platform and will be re-releasing the kit with a few modifications away from RIPP's original design in order to make it safer, simpler to tune, and more reliable. Happy to entertain any questions you have either by PM, phone (i'll give you my cell), or thread in our sponsor forum.

R&D will begin pretty soon on this and it will have the potential to yield more power than any other system currently available on the 2.7 platform. Exciting stuff!
I cant picture it being more than the NGM turbo. So what changes have been done the original one?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
lostdestiny14 said:
I cant picture it being more than the NGM turbo. So what changes have been done the original one?
According to his own post he has done notta to date.

"R&D will begin pretty soon on this"

Thats how I see it anyway.

·
Registered
888 Posts
12secTib said:
According to his own post he has done notta to date.

"R&D will begin pretty soon on this"

Thats how I see it anyway.

Thank you 12sec, but i can field this one myself, thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
lostdestiny14 said:

Lost, we are going to be converting the base kit over to draw thru and have already started putting together the plans for the conversion kits and sourcing out regular distributors for all of the necessary parts so that it will be complete and not left up to the kit buyers to deal with... We're also planning to offer an upgrade kit for the current SDS guys that haven't already done one themselves, along with option FMIC upgrades that can be purchased at the time the kit is bought, or separately at a later date.

We're also offering optional blower upgrades to for the very serious enthusiasts out there once the kit is released.

Now as far as R&D goes, i'm looking to start off using a bigger pulley that limits the boost the SDS makes to no more than 2-3 psi. I want to see if the stock injectors will support it on the stock ecu with perhaps just the addition of an FPR, making a fuel tuner on that kit unnecessary, at which point it will truly be a bolt on kit. That's the first step i'm going to be taking and i'm doing the R&D on my own car when i get another kit in my hands, (hopefully very soon, working on that now). Even at that boost based on the v5's flow characteristics it should still net around 240-250 whp given how well the delta responds to a good cfm/boost ratio.

·
Registered
888 Posts
12secTib said:
Or you could ask people that have run 12's with the V6 what setup they use. lmao... None are ripp sds cars.

All are NGM cars.

Actually (and i'm sure you will argue this since you dont want to be wrong) Ross ran a 12.88 on a slick with the stage 2 kit long before you or anyone else did (with the exception of MAYBE Lou when he ran a 12.6x time, but i think it was even before that). But you will surely debate the credibility of that since you are anti-ripp... Fine by me since i'm not with them anymore, but considering he had an Integra he could make run 9 second quarters i'm inclined to believe he could make that pass if anyone could at 311whp, he's a lot more of what one would consider a professional racer than probably 98% of people on these boards.

Aside from that, there's just a couple other little points i want to make here.

No. 1, noone (as far as i know) has yet to take their SDS car down the track with a built motor making the proper amount of power they would need to to make a 12 second pass. While you might argue that that is because SDS cars pop motors, well, if you consider that they are all stock motors and the kit is making more than enough power for the stock motor to handle reliably even in it's current stage 1 form (not to say that better tuning wouldn't help the motor last a bit longer), then yea. NGM cars are the only ones. You'll also note that all of NGM's 12 second passes were made on built blocks that didn't blow up, and one of them was nitrous assisted (no offense mitch i think with good suspension you would run 11's). In any event i'm toning down the kit for the stock block before i release it, but, you also have to consider this:

You say i'm wrong about the numbers? Well i'm not wrong when i say our little guy V5 blower puts out more cfm than any turbo or roots type blower currently available for the car, including the MP90. It's a simple math problem. More CFM= more potential for power. You might also argue that roots and turbo cars have better power bands. Have you ever seen what an overdrive crank pulley does to the power band of a centrifugal blower? I have! And believe me when i say that it's quite substantial gains across the low and mid RPM ranges, much like what you guys are seeing with roots and turbo cars. Now, you also have to consider that for a few hundred bucks more (still right in the same price range with other FI apps on the market) you can drastically increase the cfm capabilities of your SDS by getting it with a different blower, from about 500whp (conservatively) with the V5 to about 625 with the V2, to over 800 with the v1. Make your choice. If you're going that high you're not talking about a daily driver any more anyway. And before you say the turbo can make 600whp, i say, i might be more inclined to believe that when i see it make 5 without nitrous (quoting Jim's alleged 472 pass).

Now i'm not being a biased prick here, i'm just laying it out there for you, and i hope you can take an objective opinion now that the facts have been represented comparitively.

Thanks.

Tom C.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thankyou for the FACTS Tom... I think a few of us were just about to get thrown off the boards with our opinions...

And have you seen smebys vids.... yaaaaa might wanna check them out.... It's nothing but shifting :3_yummie:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
tom, im glad to see u working hard for the tiburon owners here and worldwide. congrats on all the hard work and i look forward to seeing great things from boostology!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Boostology said:
Actually (and i'm sure you will argue this since you dont want to be wrong) Ross ran a 12.88 on a slick with the stage 2 kit long before you or anyone else did (with the exception of MAYBE Lou when he ran a 12.6x time, but i think it was even before that). But you will surely debate the credibility of that since you are anti-ripp... Fine by me since i'm not with them anymore, but considering he had an Integra he could make run 9 second quarters i'm inclined to believe he could make that pass if anyone could at 311whp, he's a lot more of what one would consider a professional racer than probably 98% of people on these boards.

Aside from that, there's just a couple other little points i want to make here.

No. 1, noone (as far as i know) has yet to take their SDS car down the track with a built motor making the proper amount of power they would need to to make a 12 second pass. While you might argue that that is because SDS cars pop motors, well, if you consider that they are all stock motors and the kit is making more than enough power for the stock motor to handle reliably even in it's current stage 1 form (not to say that better tuning wouldn't help the motor last a bit longer), then yea. NGM cars are the only ones. You'll also note that all of NGM's 12 second passes were made on built blocks that didn't blow up, and one of them was nitrous assisted (no offense mitch i think with good suspension you would run 11's). In any event i'm toning down the kit for the stock block before i release it, but, you also have to consider this:

You say i'm wrong about the numbers? Well i'm not wrong when i say our little guy V5 blower puts out more cfm than any turbo or roots type blower currently available for the car, including the MP90. It's a simple math problem. More CFM= more potential for power. You might also argue that roots and turbo cars have better power bands. Have you ever seen what an overdrive crank pulley does to the power band of a centrifugal blower? I have! And believe me when i say that it's quite substantial gains across the low and mid RPM ranges, much like what you guys are seeing with roots and turbo cars. Now, you also have to consider that for a few hundred bucks more (still right in the same price range with other FI apps on the market) you can drastically increase the cfm capabilities of your SDS by getting it with a different blower, from about 500whp (conservatively) with the V5 to about 625 with the V2, to over 800 with the v1. Make your choice. If you're going that high you're not talking about a daily driver any more anyway. And before you say the turbo can make 600whp, i say, i might be more inclined to believe that when i see it make 5 without nitrous (quoting Jim's alleged 472 pass).

Now i'm not being a biased prick here, i'm just laying it out there for you, and i hope you can take an objective opinion now that the facts have been represented comparitively.

Thanks.

Tom C.

How many times are you going to put words in my mouth or assume what I'm going to say? Oh and being wrong doesn't bother me. You ever been wrong? I would still like to see a vid of that 12.88 pass Ross ran. Hell, any vid of any ripp car making a 1/4 mile pass would be cool. I'm not a fan of ripp but the kit is another story. I know the capability's of this kit when done correctly. I almost bought this kit two years ago. I'll just sit back and wait for you to R&D this kit and get it working properly.

I was just poking fun with my previous post you guys don't take it so personally lol.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I will mention this until the day I can't speak or type... I own the third SDS ever installed on a tiburon. It has been years now, I have over 55,000 miles on my car and it has been running every day since day one. One of the few installed and tuned by RIPP 100 percent.

·
pass dat....
4,358 Posts
I haven't seen a good thread like this in a long time....lol.

12sectib did make a 12 second pass on a stock block though, with video to prove it. My 12.55 pass was the first time I have ever been to the track with nitrous AND slicks. I have never used either of them in the past. Plus I have only made 3 passes with them, so you can see that I am far from a professional driver, although I have gotten a lot more seat time since then. Once I et my new twin disk clutch and my K-sport coilovers the car will deffinitely see a 11 second pass at the power output it sits at now.

I had no idea that RIPP made a 12.88 pass. I have never seen a video or a time slip on that one. See with all the NGM 12 second passes we have video and time slips to prove them. Not saying that it didn't happen though, just at that time period I find it a little hard to belive without any proof.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boostology said:

Very well then,
I will keep an eye on updates and development issues, I am glad to see more interest in this kit than I initially assumed (good or bad). I know your later posts in this thread stated you plan on R&D for your own vehicle; but if you need an additional test mule im all in. :3_yes:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Wow you were right about me being the first tib in the 12's i ran that pass oct 8th 2004 that was before any ripp car including the 12.88 you say ross ran which I belive it was an estimate on the power the car was making and not actually done thats why they never posted a track slip. :3_yes:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ross' 12.88 wasn't an estimate but what ever. Doesn't matter. God doesn't exist either.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
12secTib said:

All are NGM cars.

Lol you are so wrong...

most people here dont know how to make whp on tibs...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Zaion said:
Lol you are so wrong...

most people here dont know how to make whp on tibs...

Have you run a 12sec pass yet?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts